Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Re: (yawns)

Originally posted by Skandranon
PowerBook wins.

Welcome to MacRumors.

Enough there chump, sure its macrumors, but in a market filled with choices and different brands, its good to look around to find something that suits your personal needs. Just cause its a mac, donesn't mean its good.

Whats does the Fujitsu include?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I was looking into the Fujitsu when I bought my iBook. Here are the key differences (and I will compare to the PB instead of my iBook):

- Fujitsu has a smaller screen - 10.6" widescreen, and is a pound lighter (though thicker and taking up more total volume)

- PowerBook has a 32MB GeForce 4 video card vs. an 8MB Radeon for the Fujitsu.

- PowerBook is expandable to 640MB, Fujitsu only to 384MB

- PowerBook has built-in Bluetooth and is 802.11g Airport Extreme capable, Fujitsu has built-in 802.11b.

- Fujitsu has a PC Card slot

- PowerBook with Airport costs $200 more than the Fujitsu ($1900 vs. $1700)

- PowerBook has a SuperDrive option for $200 more

- And last but definitely not least: PowerBook runs OS X and comes bundled with all the iApps, Fujistu runs Windows XP and comes bundled with Microsoft Works and Quicken.

Like I keep on saying, Apple competes extremely well in the laptop market. I still think the iBook is the best value in a laptop in the market right now, but the 12" powerbook isn't far behind (the SuperDrive model for $1999 is great for those who can afford it...).

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
i'd recommend taking a look at the Toshiba Portégé 2010... except for the fact that it doesn't have a built-in optical drive, it is more similar to the powerbook than the fujitsu.. it has a 12" screen, is super thin (thinner than an ipod!), has a more powerful graphics card (than the fujitsu), weighs only 2.6lbs, and has most of the essentials.. yes, it's slightly more expensive, but it looks damn sexy! :D

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by nickmcghie
i'd recommend taking a look at the Toshiba Portégé 2010... except for the fact that it doesn't have a built-in optical drive, it is more similar to the powerbook than the fujitsu.. it has a 12" screen, is super thin (thinner than an ipod!), has a more powerful graphics card (than the fujitsu), weighs only 2.6lbs, and has most of the essentials.. yes, it's slightly more expensive, but it looks damn sexy! :D

Yeah, but for me the lack of internal optical drive is a dealbreaker. In my opinion that puts it in a totally different category. I mean, Sony and Dell have been making 12", 3 lb. laptops with external optical drives for years. The internal drive is one of the main reasons I got the iBook. To me the only real competition was the Fujitsu, and I just liked the iBook better (comparable features, except iBook runs OS X and is even $200 cheaper)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
lol...as you can see from my sig, i'm getting a 17" powerbook. It's just that since the 12" powerbook has been out, it's been touted as the "smallest full featured laptop available". Ironically, Fujitsu has also been marketing it's P2120 as "the world's smallest full-featured notebook". After reading some user comments on the Fujitsu, I was interested to know that even the P2000 series have their own forums! That was the first time I found out the PC computers had forums...sad isn't it?

Anyway, some points. Even tho' the Fujitsu as a smaller 10.6" screen, its a wide screen, with more pixels than the 12" powerbook. I know the font seems smaller to you, but believe me, some out there prefer shoving as much resolution you can into a screen (me included).

Also it actually can be expandable to 640 MB, but they just don't say it in the specs. Apparently members of that forum have stuck in a 512 MB stick and it was recognized. That said, the RAM on the Fujitsu isn't DDR memory...just PC133 SDRAM.

Also well noted is the graphics card...a measly 8 MB. however, the Fujitsu is running on a transmeta chip...not a very high performing computer. Therefore the crappy graphics isn't a surprise.

A nice touch for the Fujitsu is the inclusion of 2 USB 2.0 ports. It also contains Firewire and a optical line (SPDIF) out, as well as VGA out of video spanning with a external moniter up to 1600x1200 just like the 12" powerbook.

And battery life...it has a high cap. battery that can run up to 6 hours (real life). The normal battery has juice up to 3 hours. And the combo drive (no superdrive option yet) can be swapped out for an additional battery for an additional 6 hours...a total of up to 12 hours. :eek:

And the price is comparable...anyway its the only real competition to the 12" iBook/powerbook on the PC side...just wanted to know what y'all think.

Oh here is the screenshot taken from the main site stating it as the "World's Smallest Full-Featured Notebook."

Attachments

• fujitsu.jpg
    fujitsu.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 524

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Me too...

...before the new powerbooks came out I was in seriously looking at the P2120 from Fujitsu and spent much time reading the post at LeoG ...

...the only reason I didn't run out and buy one was because of the crappy, slow Transmeta. It really seems like a great computer, except for that CPU. ..

...now I've been spending most of my time here reading the posts on this forum. I really am tempted by that little 12"PB...if only the Apple and the Fujitsu models could give birth to a notebook with the best of each computer.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Over Achiever

Oh here is the screenshot taken from the main site stating it as the "World's Smallest Full-Featured Notebook."

Actually, the PowerBook takes up less volume because it is so much thinner, so Apple can still take the mantle of "smallest full-featured notebook" (by volume). In all fairness, though, to the average consumer the Fujitsu will certainly "look" smaller, plus it weighs 1.2 pounds less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.