Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodG8TR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
South Florida
I'm currently using an 800 MHz G4 (Quicksilver) with 1 GB of Ram. Use it mainly for digital photos, music and internet. I do some professional level design work and photo imaging mainly using Adobe CS2 apps. I can still get by with my current Mac (it actually performs quite well), but I want to upgrade to get some new features (dual layer DVD drive among others). I have a 19" LaCie CRT monitor which is nice but I'd like something larger and wouuld like to switch to a LCD.

So, do I sell my system and buy a 20" iMac with 1.5GB Ram and have a nice all-in-one or do I get a dual 2GHz PowerMac and stick with my monitor for the time being?

I'm leaning toward the iMac because I know I'll be upgrading again in another 3-4 years. By then some really good Intel stuff, Blu-ray, etc will be out. I don't want a first generation Intel and I think the better Intel chips won't be available until late 2006 or early 2007.

What I would really like is a 23" limited edition, aluminum iMac. That would be the ideal machine--the monitor I really want, aluminum to look professional, and enough room for Apple to put a dual core G5 chip into it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The iMac provides better bang-for-your-buck than the Power Mac and it also offers plenty of outright bang - enough for most photo work at least. I'd say the iMac looks like a better buy for you unless you're really set on the 23 inch screen. Could you go to a store and see them in the flesh. Maybe that would help a little bit. :)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'd buy the powermac now, and then an LCD monitor in a year or two when you can afford it again. But that's just me. Then, you'll be able to buy a really nice Powermac again when you upgrade in 3-4 years and you won't have to buy another monitor then, meaning you'll be able to afford a nicer computer.

Putting it that way, the trade off is:

nicer monitor now

vrs

more power throughout, same monitor now but nicer monitor a couple years from now.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I'd go with the 20" iMac.
I have a PowerMac G5 SP 1.8 with a 20" Cinema display. Its great.
If the 20" iMac was available at the time, I think it would be better for what I do.

Macabron

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Durango, México.
ipodG8TR said:
Use it mainly for digital photos, music and internet. I do some professional level design work and photo imaging mainly using Adobe CS2 apps. I can still get by with my current Mac (it actually performs quite well)

Based on that I recomend the iMac as well, It is a very good deal, and you dont seem to need the raw power of a PowerMac. The Imac should be nearly 3 times faster (by clock speed) than you current system, but keep in mind that the low end PM will be 50% faster than the iMac. Me? I'm spoiled by PowerMacs, I upgraded last year from a G3 466Mhz Clamshell iBook to a 1.8DP G5. Like night and day!. Ripping a CD took over 20 min, next to my current 3 min.
The thing is you get used to your machine. And I'm sure whatever you buy you will be happy.

pepoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2005
so, any of you is using after effects? will the new imac g5 work fine with AE?
cause im planning aswell to buy the 20" but ive seen the new powermac 2.0 DC and there is not much difference in prices. As well as ipodG8TR i have a electron blue IV 19" :)
oh! another question is flash will play smooth with the new imac?

thanks!

ipodG8TR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
South Florida
Thanks for the advice

I'm planning on checking out the new 20" iMac in person. Actually went last Sunday but they didn't have any in yet. I use a DP 1.8 G5 PowerMac at work and it isn't the night and day difference I'd expect from my old Quicksilver G4. Probably because at work we work directly off the servers over the network. In any case, I'm still leaning toward the all-in-one iMac.

Now if Apple would only come out with their long-awaited iHurricane software that could steer Wilma away. I'll be preparing for the hurricane before I make any decisions about a new computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.