Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
Hey, I have ordered a new 30gig ipod. Its been ages since I owned one since my 3rd gen Hd died. Oh yeah I used to own a 2nd gen - old skool.

Yeah I was just wondering what this new little pod can do?

Any tips on fun things that can be done with it?

Can it run any other OS then the Apple one?

Whats the video play back like?

What the photo-display like?

Is it still easy to rip songs of these models?

Can one dl the games for free?

Etc etc.

If you have a good fun user tip then let me know. I cannot wait to hear about this new ipod. Andy.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's an awesome unit.

I'd recommend getting a an AV out cable, watching on a TV works great. May want to consider a charger and case of some sort.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
andyjamesnelson said:
Hey, I have ordered a new 30gig ipod. Its been ages since I owned one since my 3rd gen Hd died. Oh yeah I used to own a 2nd gen - old skool.

Congrats! I just got my first iPod last week myself. My sister had a 2nd gen.

It's possible to hack it to run Linux, though the builds are rather early so I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing

Stunning. Use Handbrake or the iTunes store. The Italian Job and Spider-Man 2 are on my iPod and look amazing. I also recommend the FireFox VideoDownloader extension, which you can use to rip YouTube videos, there's some good stuff on there (I downloaded some Weird Al music videos- Weird Al has his own YouTube account and uploads them there).

Gorgeous, and the slideshows have transitions like iPhoto.

Just like before. And now it fetches Album Art for you too.

Sadly no. Apple has not released the SDKs so only companies partnered with them have the ability to develop iPod software.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
andyjamesnelson said:

Congrats! I just got my first iPod last week myself. My sister had a 2nd gen.

It's possible to hack it to run Linux, though the builds are rather early so I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing

Stunning. Use Handbrake or the iTunes store. The Italian Job and Spider-Man 2 are on my iPod and look amazing. I also recommend the FireFox VideoDownloader extension, which you can use to rip YouTube videos, there's some good stuff on there (I downloaded some Weird Al music videos- Weird Al has his own YouTube account and uploads them there).

Gorgeous, and the slideshows have transitions like iPhoto.

Just like before. And now it fetches Album Art for you too.

Sadly no. Apple has not released the SDKs so only companies partnered with them have the ability to develop iPod software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.