Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashvin.sugandhi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
So I bought the 6S plus in Rose Gold yesterday at Nubox Raffles Shopping Center Singapore. Unlocked 128GB. I paid for it, then the sales guy opened a sealed box and gave me the phone for inspection. I immediately noticed a very slight gap on the right hand corner between the glass and the aluminium. the seams are flush to the case everywhere else. I showed the sales guy and he actually said he couldnt see it :)

I asked for a different piece and he told me thats against store policy. I would have to go to apple service centre, and if they said it was defective then Nubox would give me a new phone.

A pic is attached, what do you guys think? would this be within specs? I dont want to go all the way to the service center, fight for a new phone and then get another with.. who knows? another problem? maybe Im just too OCD.

Does anyone else have this issue? I can slide a piece of paper into the gap... wonder how that would affect water resistance...

Thanks,
6s gap.jpg

tylamb19

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
So I bought the 6S plus in Rose Gold yesterday at Nubox Raffles Shopping Center Singapore. Unlocked 128GB. I paid for it, then the sales guy opened a sealed box and gave me the phone for inspection. I immediately noticed a very slight gap on the right hand corner between the glass and the aluminium. the seams are flush to the case everywhere else. I showed the sales guy and he actually said he couldnt see it :)

I asked for a different piece and he told me thats against store policy. I would have to go to apple service centre, and if they said it was defective then Nubox would give me a new phone.

A pic is attached, what do you guys think? would this be within specs? I dont want to go all the way to the service center, fight for a new phone and then get another with.. who knows? another problem? maybe Im just too OCD.

Does anyone else have this issue? I can slide a piece of paper into the gap... wonder how that would affect water resistance...

Thanks, View attachment 616465
Is the glass "coming off of the phone" (raised toward the user from the aluminum), or is it just a linear displacement (moved sideways with no raising)? I would think that Apple would replace the device if the screen is raised off of its mountings, but maybe not if it is just a little bit off of the aluminum but not raised.

Reactions: ashvin.sugandhi

ashvin.sugandhi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Is the glass "coming off of the phone" (raised toward the user from the aluminum), or is it just a linear displacement (moved sideways with no raising)? I would think that Apple would replace the device if the screen is raised off of its mountings, but maybe not if it is just a little bit off of the aluminum but not raised.

That's a great point. Nope, the glass isn't raised or lifting off the screen. When i push down on that area there is no vertical play. The displacement is linear. So.. I guess she's a keeper :)

Thanks,

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Looking at your photo, I haven't the slightest what you're seeing. Looks fine to me, but you're there and I'm not. It's your money. Just know, that your time and energy are worth something and that you also run the risk of swapping the phone for a unit with worse "issues."

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I see what you're looking at. It looks kind of like a linear gap along the corner seam, but if you don't notice any screen movement or flexing I wouldn't go through the hassle of a return.

Give it a few months and if you do notice creaking or screen movement, you'll be able to get a repair under warrant.

Reactions: ashvin.sugandhi

ashvin.sugandhi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
thanks to all for the feedback. im keeping the phone, its awesome. i just get anal when i see any (perceived) defect after spending so much money!

cheers

kbty824

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Just to give another side to this... My iPhone 6plus did have a minor gap located to the left of the lightning port. I took it to the Apple Store and the Apple Genius said that the glass can be replaced....15 mins later after replacing the front glass, it was still exhibiting the same issue. Long story short, they issued me a brand new phone.

The following screen shot isn't mine, but is an accurate depiction of the gap that I had....(goes to show you that I wasn't the only one with this issue...)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455763172.810970.jpg

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
I had the same issue with my 6s+ in rose gold 128g. Mine was on the left side around top left corner and volume button. I booked an appointment with Genius Bar and they replaced it with a new phone when I mentioned possible water damage due to this gap. Also mine was over 90 days after purchase. I hope this helps. It did bother me a lot too. I also showed the gap to apple guys at the store comparing it to the demos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.