Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al_Turing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2015
I saw mentioned on some foreign sites that a new MacBook Air was coming by Black Friday. Is that likely?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Unlikely going on the buyer's guide. Also there are normally mentions of newer Mac models in OS X betas, and there's been nothing like that so far (well what I'm aware of, at least).

At any rate you should see some fair savings on MBAs on Black Friday, so keep an eye out on the homepage, because the hard-working admins normally go through and compile a list of the best deals/savings you can get. :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I saw mentioned on some foreign sites that a new MacBook Air was coming by Black Friday. Is that likely?
It's exceedingly rare for Apple to release new products this close to the holiday season, especially now that they've started the holiday return policy for existing products.
It's not at all clear that the Air will continue to exist or if it will be replaced by the MacBook at the next revision.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
It's exceedingly rare for Apple to release new products this close to the holiday season, especially now that they've started the holiday return policy for existing products.
It's not at all clear that the Air will continue to exist or if it will be replaced by the MacBook at the next revision.
I'am sure MBA won't be going anywhere. It's much cheaper to manufacture and at the same time it can take advantage of faster chips that simply wouldn't fit into rMB. By discontinuing it Apple would lose it's place in one of the most popular laptop segments with Intel U CPUs. MBA *could* be renamed, but rest assured thin and light 13" inch machine isn't going anywhere.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Knowing Apple, I think the launch of the new MacBook means the current Airs are the final Airs. (It would also be atypical for Apple to revise a single product line close to Black Friday.)

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Knowing Apple, I think the launch of the new MacBook means the current Airs are the final Airs.

Maybe a Skylake upgrade at best, then EOL or die slowly like the cMBP.

It would also be atypical for Apple to revise a single product line close to Black Friday.

It's an outlier, but the 2012 21.5" iMacs were released on 30 November.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
It's an outlier, but the 2012 21.5" iMacs were released on 30 November.

Right, right. But those were announced in October 2012, is what I meant to be saying. (Anything that would release in November, we'd likely have heard about by now.)

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
All BTO models have pretty much disappeared from Dutch online stores (just when I decided to take a plunge and get a 13" 8GB 128GB). And the 13" 4GB and 11" 4GB are discounted. I'm not saying this means something, but, yeah.

Edit: I mean resellers, apple.com still has all models.

Last edited:

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
It's pretty much a bad time to buy with how much of a jump Skylake will be, Apple will b e forced to update them come April, no way will they be using Broadwell through 2016.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
To be honest, I figured the 2015 MBA was the last one when I bought it earlier this year. Once I saw that it had no retina display, I figured they were going the way of the dodo. Unfortunate :(

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Knowing Apple, I think the launch of the new MacBook means the current Airs are the final Airs. (It would also be atypical for Apple to revise a single product line close to Black Friday.)
When the MBA replaced the old macbook they both coexisted for another revision or two until the price of the air was able to get down low enough to compete. So I'd say we have at least one, possibly two revisions before that happens.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
When the MBA replaced the old macbook they both coexisted for another revision or two until the price of the air was able to get down low enough to compete. So I'd say we have at least one, possibly two revisions before that happens.

Oh, that's a good point. I had the impression there, though, that the very first Airs just weren't powerful enough to satisfyingly replace the plastic MacBooks after they arrived. In this case – while the new MacBook doesn't beat the modern Airs for performance, it does beat them in almost every other way (and performance, I'm sure, is around the corner). So, you're right, I might be wrong.

But I think that's still my guess. Now I'm going to watch the next event knowing the correctness of my guess is at stake. 0_0

can$rules

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
It doesn't beat it in another important way: ports

In my case, I could probably live with the new MacBook's performance, but I will continue to need a couple of USB ports and a TB port for a while.

Reactions: SusanK and old-wiz

stillone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
I hope they give it at least one more bump in performance if they are going to but it to bed. The Macbook's palm rests are way too small to use for extended periods on my lap. In this important area the 13" Air is perfect. I'm passing on the retina screen for usability.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I hope they give it at least one more bump in performance if they are going to but it to bed. The Macbook's palm rests are way too small to use for extended periods on my lap. In this important area the 13" Air is perfect. I'm passing on the retina screen for usability.

There's an easy fix for that: 14" rMB.

Reactions: Cape Dave

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
There is no chance in hell Apple will announce a new MBA before 2016-Q2, possibly later. The only upgrade over current models will be a new chipset. If retina is your thing, get a MacBook.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
A large reseller here has Airs and Pros (and Minis and iMacs) on discount (with a store-voucher on top).
There's something coming, just not before Black Friday (which doesn't exist here anyway).
There are now a lot of notebooks with 6th gen Intel Core-I CPU on the market. Just none from Apple...

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
A large reseller here has Airs and Pros (and Minis and iMacs) on discount (with a store-voucher on top).
There's something coming, just not before Black Friday (which doesn't exist here anyway).
Base models here at the moment: (we don't really do BF)

• 13,3": €989 (Apple: €1099)
• 11,6: €894 (Apple: €999)

This is the cheapest I have ever seen them. Come on Apple premiere the new ones within 12 days so I can return my new one and get the... new new one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.