Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
My speedtests with the new Extreme are basically similar to the results I would obtain with the 5th generation model. I'm not certain that this is any sort of accurate measure of the new model anyway,since the speedtest results only measure the speed from my internet carrier and not the AE itself.

In fairness to the new model, I would say, from an anecdotal standpoint, that my internet performance/connection feels maximized and more distinct, or more trustworthy than it did with the older model. The connection just feels more certain (like the torque in a car engine). I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Speed test mini. You need an http server with php or asp/.net and a few others, oh and flash.

Interesting find, but that's too many requirements.

I have a TB-based SSD on my new Mini that I'll use to FTP files back and forth to check upload and download speeds.

But I suspect people will demand some sort of screenshot for "proof" if I claim some interesting speeds - LOL!

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
*sigh
The new AE once again doesn't do dynamic and policy-based routing, doesn't have any firewall customization, traffic policing, VLANs, multihomed connectivity, IPSec, When will Apple stop making toys for housewives and start building real hardware for power users like they used to?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
*sigh
The new AE once again doesn't do dynamic and policy-based routing, doesn't have any firewall customization, traffic policing, VLANs, multihomed connectivity, IPSec, When will Apple stop making toys for housewives and start building real hardware for power users like they used to?

I think the unfortunate answer is "never". My own suspicion is they simply don't want to have to provide the necessary tech support when less informed users try to utilize those features and screw their network up.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, tough test to really gauge, but I tested my 5th gen, en did the exact same test with my 6th gen and saw a boost. Looks like you were getting great speeds already!

only got 1/2 that then turned off wifi to check LTE and then wifi back on and got this.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Just setup a new AEBS (gen-6) and noticed that even in bridge mode, you can setup a wifi guest network. Didn't think that was supported in bridge mode.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Just setup a new AEBS (gen-6) and noticed that even in bridge mode, you can setup a wifi guest network. Didn't think that was supported in bridge mode.

I believe you can turn it on, but I don't believe it will work when the AE is in guest mode. The AE has no way to get to the outside internet, so it doesn't really have anywhere to send "guests" that are walled off from the rest of your network.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Extended range is about the only reason I'd want one. If it speeds things up a bit, fine. Beam Form me some extended Range.

If all you need is extend range, buy several access points and wire them together. You could cover an entire university campus that way.

I'd say the only reason to buy the new router is for the "ac" feature on the new Macs and on future Apple products.

If all you want is a better antenna, buy a DLink router and an external antenna. Some of the external antenna are realy good. To bad Apple removed the antenna jack some models ago.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I believe you can turn it on, but I don't believe it will work when the AE is in guest mode. The AE has no way to get to the outside internet, so it doesn't really have anywhere to send "guests" that are walled off from the rest of your network.

Yep you're correct. Something just happened before I tried this. The AE just crashed while doing a backup from my NAS to the attached USB drive. Hope this doesn't continue....Yikes!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
So, now to decide if the 6th gen is worth the extra $50. I picked up a 5th gen open box from Best Buy a few weeks ago. Still deciding on if I'm going to trade up pr not. No ac devices yet, but I expect to do so at some point.

Decisions, decisions...

Sandelsium

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Issue with WiFi speed with new Airport Time Capsule

Have you noticed that when you boot or wake from sleep with the new 2013 Macbook Air and connect to your Airport Time Capsule, network speed is actually class N and not AC? You need to turn off WiFi and then back on in order to reconnect with AC speeds. I confirmed this with Apple Support. I guess there will be a fix coming to MBA in near future.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I decided to go for the 6th generation 2GB Time Capsule. I notice no difference in speed (didn't expect it) , but I did need the Time Capsule as I have never backed up my MacBook Pro.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
After a few days I have noticed that the signal strength for 5Ghz is slightly stronger than the 2.4Ghz band. Both are vastly stronger than my old 4th gen AEBS.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Interesting problem with my 6th gen AE today. It simply stopped responding and although Wi-fi was up it was not connected to the internet. I could not see it with the airport utility either. I had to hard reboot it. Not too happy about that.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Interesting problem with my 6th gen AE today. It simply stopped responding and although Wi-fi was up it was not connected to the internet. I could not see it with the airport utility either. I had to hard reboot it. Not too happy about that.

What time duration do you have DHCP lease set at? Go into Airport utility, go to network, and then network option. Is is set to 1 day (24 hours)? Set it to 9,999 days. That way you dont have your devices which are connected to your router renewing it's DHCP lease every 24 hours. In theory, it shouldn't cause conflicts by renewing every 24 hours, but I have found that theory and reality are 2 different things and in the past I have had problems with routers. So unless you have over 200 devices connected to your TC, setting DHCP lease time to 9,999 days will not cause any problems with the handful of devices you have connected.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

Happened twice to me within 1 day. Returned it and went back to my Netgear R6300.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
What time duration do you have DHCP lease set at? Go into Airport utility, go to network, and then network option. Is is set to 1 day (24 hours)? Set it to 9,999 days. That way you dont have your devices which are connected to your router renewing it's DHCP lease every 24 hours. In theory, it shouldn't cause conflicts by renewing every 24 hours, but I have found that theory and reality are 2 different things and in the past I have had problems with routers. So unless you have over 200 devices connected to your TC, setting DHCP lease time to 9,999 days will not cause any problems with the handful of devices you have connected.

I have about 40-50 devices on my home network (yeah, a LOT). I noticed the short DHCP lease timer when setting the AE up but didn't initially change it. I will go ahead and do that but I'm somewhat skeptical of that being the culprit.

It seems like Apple might have been in too great a hurry to release this thing before the issues were worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.