Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I think the ads have a bit of a charm to them but the style of ads where a human is "playing" the product has the downside of being lame too. It sounds like the style of a bad Japanese ad.

thedonga

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
jimsowden said:
Why do so many people do this? I mean, what happened to VCRs and Tivos, and even just running the line straight into your camcorder? It's just this is the absolute last way I'd record something.
quit your whining and just say thank you.....geez.

rcnscan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
jimsowden said:
Why do so many people do this? I mean, what happened to VCRs and Tivos, and even just running the line straight into your camcorder? It's just this is the absolute last way I'd record something.

Good Point, Touche.

I do have a DVR, a Motorola one, and the Firewire ports do not talk to my Mac so that I can digitize the TV signal. I saved the commercial on the DVR and I used my camcorder with a tripod to tape the screen on my Plasma TV. I wanted to get the commercial on the internet as soon as possible. It even took me an hour to compress the video on my Mac due to some technical problems; even Macs are not perfect :) .

A video converter bridge is the best thing to have. I do have a Canopus ADVC300 for such work but I lent it out:( . http://www.canopus.com/

I could have used my PowerMac 7300 that has a video capture card and it would have been better. Unfortunately, I gutted the 7300 and tried to upgrade everything in it and it did not work and I need to fix it.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
pwfletcher said:
I have been a macrumors user for a long time and really appreciate their hard work. However, I am going to stop surfing to macrumors.com if they keep putting those lame ads that stick to my screen on their site ... I DON'T WANT TO FILL OUT THE STUPID SURVEY!!!!

Just a rant from someone who has had enough :)

It's happened to a few other people on OSX / safari too.

See this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2869728

Arn (site god) is investigating, and hopefully the offending ad will be be basted to smithereens.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
rcnscan said:
Good Point, Touche.

I do have a DVR, a Motorola one, and the Firewire ports do not talk to my Mac so that I can digitize the TV signal. I saved the commercial on the DVR and I used my camcorder with a tripod to tape the screen on my Plasma TV. I wanted to get the commercial on the internet as soon as possible. It even took me an hour to compress the video on my Mac due to some technical problems; even Macs are not perfect :) .

A video converter bridge is the best thing to have. I do have a Canopus ADVC300 for such work but I lent it out:( . http://www.canopus.com/

I could have used my PowerMac 7300 that has a video capture card and it would have been better. Unfortunately, I gutted the 7300 and tried to upgrade everything in it and it did not work and I need to fix it.
Your camcorder is most likely a birdge, you can just plug the DVR into it.

Edit: I'm not trying to be citical, and thanks much for posting it up, I just wanted to suggest a better way, or understand why it's not possible.

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
Is it just me or does someone else also finds these ads just OK?
The microsoft office one is the better of the two, but still i feel they both lack the killer punch!

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
What are the names of the actors? Which is which?

It's classic Laurel and Hardy casting: fat guy, skinny guy. Except in the ads the skinny (Apple) guy seems to be the straight man.

:)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
ugh, Google Video took them over and at the end of them they have a "Post to Blog/MySpace" option. Is MySpace that popular that it has to overdo the "embed" function?

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
All 3 new ads can be seen by refreshing http://www.news.com

I'm sure this is old new but they are there, if the links have been removed. As of 230pm columbus day still not on the apple website.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
prady16 said:
Is it just me or does someone else also finds these ads just OK?
The microsoft office one is the better of the two, but still i feel they both lack the killer punch!

It is just you. These ads make me want to go back to my Apple Mac roots although I've been strictly PC for over 10 years.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
ctakim said:
It is just you. These ads make me want to go back to my Apple Mac roots although I've been strictly PC for over 10 years.

I've seen both ads. They're really well done - not at all like the jumble of bad graphics, poor pics and inane garble that comprise most tv ads.

Yup. Canadians get the cool stuff.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.