Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the older Apple Cinema monitors are better looking than the new ones they just released. What's the difference between the two types (resolution, USB ports, etc.)? I think the older monitors look more stable with 2 small legs and they look somewhat nicer. I wonder if the prices on the old Apple monitors will be dropped now. Does anyone know? Has anyone seen the new monitors and what are your thoughts?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I felt the way you do - I've got an 'old' 20", and I liked the look better. Then I went into my local Apple Store and saw the new 20". Good God, it's beautiful! It's so much smaller! It has the same resolution, Firewire plugs in addition to USB, and apparently it has better response times. Image quality looked roughly the same to me, comparing an old and new monitor side-by-side with relatively motionless content (i.e., didn't check it with games). Maybe the new one's better i.t.o. image quality - but the old one's so good that it isn't obvious.

Still, though... I don't need another monitor, and I can't afford another monitor, but, man, the new ones are beautiful. And I truly liked the old ones more until I actually saw and touched a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.