Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I don't know, talk to the reviewer who, I believe was in NJ who stated that yahoo.com took two minutes.

I am in NYC on verizon's EV-DO network, and my coworker has a Pearl with EDGE. It is no contest speed-wise. It is like a broadband connection versus a dialup.

You sure those web pages weren't cached ;)

I have not been to Yahoo in years, I prefer Google. I live in Atlanta and have used Verizon and Cingular (both with Blackberrys) and I also have a 3G Cingular phone for when I ride the motorcycle. I can tell you there may be a slight difference in my page loading speed but it IS NOT as nutty as folks are making it sound. There are COUNTLESS variables that can effect EDGE, 3G or EV-DO to where it is almost comical that it is being made such an issue.

Anyone here have a Samsung Blackjack or heck, even a Motorola Q...?
If so, how is that battery treating you these days.. are you even getting a day out of it.

3G needs time. Trust me, this is my industry.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
9:00am is "early"?

If they are in a mall, probably. I know in Short Hills, NJ the mall opens at I think 10am on Saturdays, same with the mall I worked in when I was a manager for Borders. 9am is early and for a mall to ok opening even an hour earlier they usually need to know it's worth it in terms of the cost for security, etc to be around that early. The store can do whatever they want, but don't forget the mall needs security to be customer-ready too, and that's an expense for the mall to bear, unless Apple is springing for that. In either case, Apple is doing it because they think its worth it. Hopefully.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I don't understand the big draw of GPS either. It rarely takes me more than ten seconds to find somewhere I'm looking for with a paper map. I don't see people driving around aimlessly all that often...

I have GPS on my 8800 and it is kinda nice. It is linked to my address book so I can just click on a person's name from whereever I am and get there.. I can create addressed on my TeleNav.com account and sync it with my Blackberry.

It is nice but I use it about 5% of the time whereas I friggin carry my iPod AND my BB to lunch with me EVERY day. I am willing to give up GPS for the iPhone personally. I will miss it a tad though but we cannot have it all.

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bottom line is, EDGE is old technology. Are you going to spend $4000 on a quad-core mac pro to game on, and then put it on a dialup connection? Of course not.

This scenario will play out exactly how it did with macbook pros last year. The people that bought them in March thinking they were the greatest thing since sliced bread were not very happy when the Core 2 Duos came out. There was no comparison between the two, and they came out 6 months apart. (And for the same price!)

Thats fine. Pull the trigger now. I just dont want to hear all the crying in December when V2 (with 3G ;) ) comes along.

And 3G is "your industry". I find that comment very comical for the simple fact that you seem to know nothing about it.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Since everyone here is so knowledgeable about 3G.. how about you get us up to date on the current 3G footprint relative to the voice footprint . and then the EDGE footprint relative to the voice footprint...

3G will have its time and we will enjoy it but its time is not now. Seriously ask yourself if you would have a EDGE iPhone with current battery levels or a 3G phone that WHEN IN a 3G footprint will have slightly better loading and HALF the battery life.. Steve knows what he is doing with his strategy on 3G. But hey, if 3G is a REQUIREMENT for you, then pass on the initial iPhone and just wait...wait.....wait.....wait....

I will probably just get them both to be honest.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Bottom line is, EDGE is old technology. Are you going to spend $4000 on a quad-core mac pro to game on, and then put it on a dialup connection? Of course not.

This scenario will play out exactly how it did with macbook pros last year. The people that bought them in March thinking they were the greatest thing since sliced bread were not very happy when the Core 2 Duos came out. There was no comparison between the two, and they came out 6 months apart. (And for the same price!)

Thats fine. Pull the trigger now. I just dont want to hear all the crying in December when V2 (with 3G ;) ) comes along.

And 3G is "your industry". I find that comment very comical for the simple fact that you seem to know nothing about it.

There is no "bottom line" scenario as you put it when countless variables are going to affect your true speed. Your example is not apples to apples.

Your opinion of what I do and don't know about the network is comical. That is as much as I will say on that.

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Hmm... I seem to recall broadband had a very limited footprint when it rolled out.... didn't mean I was going to skip on it until it became more prevalent.

And slightly faster load times? Come on. Lets be serious here.

And 3G is not that huge of a drain on battery life when actually in one of those footprints. If you're ping ponging back and forth, I'll give you that point. That is a terrible drain on battery. 3G has a fairly big presence in most metropolitan areas, so this wont be an issue for most. Somehow I dont think cousin Billy on the farm is getting an iPhone at the moment....

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Hmm... I seem to recall broadband had a very limited footprint when it rolled out.... didn't mean I was going to skip on it until it became more prevalent.

And 3G is not that huge of a drain on battery life when actually in one of those footprints. If you're ping ponging back and forth, I'll give you that point. That is a terrible drain on battery. 3G has a fairly big presence in most metropolitan areas, so this wont be an issue for most. Somehow I dont think cousin Billy on the farm is getting an iPhone at the moment....

The Euro-Iphone is going to have 3G.

The Euro ipone is going to be rolled out in the fall.

That means they are about to start making one phone once the Europhones get in the assembly line.

Therefore we in America should be able to buy 3g iphones by Jan. 08.

If you hate edge so much. Wait.

I for one am buying one on Friday because the iphone is 1000 times better then my phone and I will be buying a 3g in Jan as well...

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

So what 3G handset are you using?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Since everyone here is so knowledgeable about 3G.. how about you get us up to date on the current 3G footprint relative to the voice footprint . and then the EDGE footprint relative to the voice footprint...

3G will have its time and we will enjoy it but its time is not now. Seriously ask yourself if you would have a EDGE iPhone with current battery levels or a 3G phone that WHEN IN a 3G footprint will have slightly better loading and HALF the battery life.. Steve knows what he is doing with his strategy on 3G. But hey, if 3G is a REQUIREMENT for you, then pass on the initial iPhone and just wait...wait.....wait.....wait....

I will probably just get them both to be honest.

Hey PBz - glad to hear another Atlanta rumor users....

I have been wondering this as well - at what point will AT&T have enough G3 coverage in the US for Apple to see it worthwhile to have a G3 phone? Let's say the iPhone was G3, then how many people would be complaining that there is no G3 available in their location? At least EDGE covers most everyone.

1/2 the battery life - no thanks!

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
This is a good thing, it means my GF and I both don't have to wait in line for 6 hours smelling up the place, when only one of us will have to.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Battery life in an EVDO network stinks. I have a Motorola Q that I can get a day and a half out of in a 1x network. If I go to an EVDO city, the battery won't make it through the day.

Just because something is newer and faster doesn't mean it's better :)

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
YEAH! Entrepreneurs suck! Down with capitolism! How dare people try to make an extra dollar! Take your ration and like it!

There's a strawman for you.

HIS COMMENTS are a joke. I am not sure if mobile-focused websites are what the iPhone is accessing when they are available but I just did some basic tests with my BB 8800 on EDGE and the Yahoo site was up in seconds (mini site), Reuters loads in under 5 seconds, MacRumors site with images in about 17 seconds...and the a grapically-intense site NASCAR.com loaded in right at 38 seconds.

He must have been on his parents' farm or something.

Are you talking about David Pogue? The minisite doesn't count in my mind, because Apple is promoting their device as being able to get on the "real" internet, not one cut down to size for mobile use.

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
I am using a BB 8703e...

As far as ATT's network being "worth" Apple making the device 3G....... This is my biggest gripe with the iPhone. I really wish Apple and Verizon could have come to an agreement. The voice coverage is much better (in my experience).... But more importantly, Verizon's 3G footprint is at least twice the size of ATT's....

Oh well. You guys enjoy the iPhone. I'll admit I'll be jealous for a bit.... But I must get back to MY industry :)

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
3G is a joke, i should know I test networks for a living.

800ms + pingtime, nothing not even a OC-128 can make that experience fast. Even with verizon's ev-do or HSDPA you still get high pingtimes. The only time where 3G would be useful is if you were downloading very, very large files like 500mb, then over time it would get higher, but for surfing the net, 3G WILL ALWAYS SUCK because of high-latency, just as bad as 2G.

no "broadband quality" here or on any network, that only comes with WIFI, which luckily this device has

So stop talking about stupid 3G, because even with 3G waiting 30 seconds for it to send/receive the request from the server is retarded. There is a reason the brilliant engineers at Apple didn't toss it in there for now (and GASP they thought about it for more than the three days you did!!)

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
That's what people said about the Wii...

wii_mania.jpg

These were all gone within 24 hours for over $600 a piece.

Friggen Greedy bastards! I hate Scalpers!

I'll get my iPhone after Macworld in January - Revision 2. It will be a beautiful thing and have those added improvents that the reviewers have written about. I am sure they are being worked on as we speak in Cupertino!

Replacable Battery, etc.

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Battery life in an EVDO network stinks. I have a Motorola Q that I can get a day and a half out of in a 1x network. If I go to an EVDO city, the battery won't make it through the day.

Just for the record, your problem is with your motorola handset, not the EVDO network. I have never had a motorola (and I have had 3) that got me decent battery life.

I spend all of my time in New York City (obviously a big EVDO network) and I can not plug in my BB for more than two days and I'm still going strong.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Hey PBz - glad to hear another Atlanta rumor users....

I have been wondering this as well - at what point will AT&T have enough G3 coverage in the US for Apple to see it worthwhile to have a G3 phone? Let's say the iPhone was G3, then how many people would be complaining that there is no G3 available in their location? At least EDGE covers most everyone.

1/2 the battery life - no thanks!

I can just say that I personally am not in the market for a 3G phone in 2008 and probably not for the first half of 2009. I cannot say when the availability will be there but it is a work in progress. Sorry for not being able to fully answer your question but if I did I would probably be lying.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Just for the record, your problem is with your motorola handset, not the EVDO network. I have never had a motorola (and I have had 3) that got me decent battery life.

I spend all of my time in New York City (obviously a big EVDO network) and I can not plug in my BB for more than two days and I'm still going strong.

Your BB is not a 3G device. Currently RIM does not sell a 3G Blackberry. It may say EV-DO (been there)....

cirby

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Network speed

All of the "3G vs EDGE" comments are pretty funny, since about 90% of my time is within range of at least one free Wi-Fi hotspot. The few places I know of that don't have pretty spotty 3G and EDGE coverage, as well (inside large buildings, for example).

Besides the Wi-Fi hub at the house, there's usually one or more at the places I work, and free access at all sorts of bars and restaurants (heck, the place I do laundry at has two in range).

All of our downtown area (Orlando) is currently covered by a free Wi-Fi network.

One of the benefits of having a million or so iPhones running around is that a lot of the places that have been fence-sitting on the hotspot issue will now have a more-noticeable reason to put in open access points. There's a big difference between "I don't want someone tying up a table for hours with their laptop" and "we have four people with iPhones sitting at the counter."

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
AMEN to that, The Motorola Q is the worst battery phone ever. Some EV-DO phones are better, but since the Q uses the EV-DO network for things like email which it doesn't need when checking it dies every day. I seriously just stopped answer or bothering to charge this phone.

You can get extra battery life out of it (say an hour) by turning off automatic email checking, which absolutely defeats the purpose of the device lol.

This is my 8th Q, and as a network rep Motorola finally just told me, don't expect more battery life.

Just because something is newer and faster doesn't mean it's better :)

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
All of the "3G vs EDGE" comments are pretty funny, since about 90% of my time is within range of at least one free Wi-Fi hotspot. The few places I know of that don't have pretty spotty 3G and EDGE coverage, as well (inside large buildings, for example).

Besides the Wi-Fi hub at the house, there's usually one or more at the places I work, and free access at all sorts of bars and restaurants (heck, the place I do laundry at has two in range).

All of our downtown area (Orlando) is currently covered by a free Wi-Fi network.

One of the benefits of having a million or so iPhones running around is that a lot of the places that have been fence-sitting on the hotspot issue will now have a more-noticeable reason to put in open access points. There's a big difference between "I don't want someone tying up a table for hours with their laptop" and "we have four people with iPhones sitting at the counter."

I brought this up somewhere around here yesterday but few will listen.. TOTALLY agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.