Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Exactly (re: universal search)...the whole Select "Apple Music" or "My Music" part of search in the Apple Music app is the dumbest thing. I feel like they keep trying to redirect me into iTunes to buy music rather than stream when I use that thing. Navigation is just horrid.

Sorry my off topic rant now done.

I only lasted a few days with Apple Music. It was/is an utter, utter mess and what's worse it completely screwed up my library so instead of having one playlist I ended up with 5 playlists for everything and it was never the same playlist and I never did figure out how to actually download a song.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I don't understand why you would want Plex on an Apple TV when you can just share your iTunes Library. I ripped my entire film/tv collection and put it into iTunes and now share it across my ATVs.
Cos plex supports MKVs etc without pre-transcode. It does any conversion that it needs to do on the fly..

Reactions: malexandria

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
the search isn't something i am SUPER EXCITED about...this is something that could have been done with typing years ago.

I hope this isn't a KEY FEATURE

But ... This feature is HUGE. If I want to watch Monster Squad (or anything right now, I have to go into Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, godknowswhatelse and search for it there. That's terrible. TERRIBLE. If I could just be like ... Hey Siri, I want to watch Monster Squad, she could say "ok, sure, it's available on Netflix. I'll play it for you now."

So. Much. More. Better.

I don't want to watch Netflix, or any other channel. I want to watch Game of Thrones. And Monster Squad. I couldn't possibly care less what channel/provider gives it to me.

Reactions: Izauze and Gasu E.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
who said anything about managing storage on this device??

I still don't understand, why A8. not A8X or A9?
isn't apple going to do games for this device
If I was buying, I would want the very latest but A8 connected to a power source I think should be able to outperform an A9 processor running on an iPhone/iPad.

Reactions: firewood

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
true enough. 4K Bluray with HDR will once again push physical media to the fore for those who care about quality.

BTW, HDR 4K TVs are still high end.

2016 - 4K TVs commonplace, 4K HDR TVs dropping to mid tier.

indeed. 4k sets have already started to drop heavily from last year. HDR 4K will still carry that 55" $2K+ price tag though. 4k HDR OLED....when that hits $2000-$2500 it will be heaven haha.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am hoping with everything we are hearing about the new Apple TV that is is fact coming and is going to be released. The ability to add third party apps along with the universal search. This is a day one purchase for me.

Reactions: peterdevries

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
My father in law just bought a 50 inch 4K Visio TV because he saw it on Woot.com, and that it would fit in his entertainment center. His old TV had broken, and he asked me if this one was a good TV. For $500, it certainly was. He hooked up his SD(!) DishNetwork box to it, and was perfectly happy with the picture. Then I showed him that the TV comes with Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/Hulu/etc apps, and pulled up a 4K show on Netflix.

It's pretty satisfying seeing someone's jaw drop through the floor. You can opine all you want about how 4k is not a target market for today, but if my 60 year old father in law has one, and it ships with multiple apps that support 4k content (which I can pull up after a 5 second search), then it IS today's technology. If Apple isn't offering 4K content, and everyone else is, then why would you buy/rent content from Apple that's also available everywhere else in better quality for the same price or less?

The problem with 4K is that while it's really nice and the price dropped surprisingly/shockingly fast a lot of people finally started investing in HDTVs and Blu-rays a few years ago and there's no compelling reason to just toss out 2 and 3 old HDTVs for 4k. I think the technology arrived too soon.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly......on the part that I boldfaced. If anyone is buying a 4K TV they are buying it in hopes to watch as much good 4K content as they possibly can find. What else would be the point in buying one?

Very true I'm just hoping for more 4K content

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Seems strange that a universal search feature would require new hardware. My Tivo premier (which is 3 years old), already does this. Secondly, I'm surprised Apple isn't doing away with the remote altogether (i.e. to help drive iPhone/iPad/Apple watch sales), considering the same functionality is already built into the Apple Remote App for iOS

This will be a universal remote-- it will be able to control your cable box, etc. So the end-game (if it is not there at Day 1) would be for Siri-driven universal search to cover your regular cable/On Demand, in addition to what you get through the Apple TV.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
But ... This feature is HUGE. If I want to watch Monster Squad (or anything right now, I have to go into Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, godknowswhatelse and search for it there. That's terrible. TERRIBLE. If I could just be like ... Hey Siri, I want to watch Monster Squad, she could say "ok, sure, it's available on Netflix. I'll play it for you now."

So. Much. More. Better.

I don't want to watch Netflix, or any other channel. I want to watch Game of Thrones. And Monster Squad. I couldn't possibly care less what channel/provider gives it to me.

I see the point. I understand the nice factor but to me it feels a long wait for something that could have been done a while back. I know with Comcast X1 system, still fairly new, you can type in a name and it will find when a show is playing and if on demand, etc.

The feature is nice. but this is not a key feature thing to me. Don't get up there and say, that thing that a few other TV boxes already do...we are doing it too and this is magical. This can be a feature but hopefully not the Keystone!

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I will be shocked if it doesn't have 4k.

Here in the UK everyone is either doing or planning to do 4K in the near future, Sky, BT, Amazon, Netflix now and BBC next year. A technology company like Apple must be seen to be either at or near the cutting edge surely?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Apple's version will have at most, the same providers, plus Apple's own store.

Not necessarily. Think outside the box. If universal search is tied to the remote, it does not have to be restricted to what's streaming through AppleTV. It could also search through metadata for any device it controls, such as your cable box. And Apple has the means to pull that off.

Assuming this really is Steve's solution to the TV problem of which he spoke...

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I think you miss the "universal" part... which I take that as understanding it will search all outlets for a title providing you choices of where to view or purchase it from. This, along with making it SIRI driven I think is very cool.

I'm very excited to see what the new AppleTV will actually have... I hope it's the killer device we've all been waiting for and really "wow's" the market.

Right. People are missing the meaning of "universal". Given Siri is built into the remote (which should also be universal) it could search and control more than just what streams through the AppleTV. Your Roku and Xbox and whatever don't do that. The remote would be a key part of this.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I will be shocked if it doesn't have 4k.

Here in the UK everyone is either doing or planning to do 4K in the near future, Sky, BT, Amazon, Netflix now and BBC next year. A technology company like Apple must be seen to be either at or near the cutting edge surely?

Actually I'd be shocked if it will have 4k support. Did you forget that the ATV3 is only capable of 720P? What makes you think Apple will give you 4k this soon and especially at the $150?

I hope I am wrong but I don't think they will.

Reactions: Izauze

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Really? The hard part is for the AppleTV to know exactly what content is running on each of your services. That requires a cloud-based assistant. So, how would you have done this "years ago"?
Agreed. Search has been a pain point for all platforms for far too long, but that's partially because it's not an easy problem to solve. Every service catalogues their content differently, and getting them to all talk together and play nice is no small task.

It will just seem that way when Apple implements it - which has always been part of their genius, right? That they take something that seems like it should be easy (even though it's not), and make it actually easy.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
And what do I need a remote for? I've got an iphone and ipad.

I've used both for my ATV3, and in my experience a dedicated remote (or a universal A/V remote) is far, FAR superior.

ATV Remote:
  • Pick up remote, which is in easy reach because its only purpose is here at the TV.
  • Without even looking, based on ergonomics of real physical buttons, hit whatever button I need.

iPad/iPhone:
  • Get up and go to whatever room I last left the iPhone in.
  • Go back to TV and sit down.
  • Press a button on the iPhone to wake it up.
  • Slide to unlock/Enter Password/Use TouchID.
  • Navigate to the Remote app.
  • Launch the Remote app.
  • Select which of my three AppleTVs I want it to control.
  • Try to remember why I needed the remote in the first place, 3 minutes ago.
  • Press the button I need.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
4K is meant for physical media, not streaming! It makes complete sense to not focus on 4K unless you double as a blu ray player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.