1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

New AppleTV and Streaming content

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pcorrado, Sep 17, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

So I have an idea for my home theater set up and I was wondering if anybody here would think this is possible:

I have been in the process of ripping my DVD collection to iTunes and was thinking of moving my entire iTunes library to a networked hard drive and then accessing from my Macs across the network, in addition I would be wanting to access that library from the new AppleTV. My reasoning for doing it as network storage is as follows: 1) I need more storage for my library so external makes sense to me, 2) I would love to free up hd space on both of my computers and share the same library ( this is know is possible with some fiddling), 3) I am hoping AppleTV would be able to stream from the library with needing iTunes open and my Mac turned on or awake.

Number 3 is where I am hoping someone here can help. Do you think there is any way AppleTV will be able to access an iTunes library over a network on externally stored hd without a computer in the middle. It this isn't possible I will just hook up an external hd directly to one of my macs and share it but I would love to eliminate the middle man if possible.