Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
This is confusing, please help me understand this change.

I now pay $230 for 4 line @ 6g (old plan). All 4 line is on contract till Sept 2015. I was thinking that if i change to 10g new plan i would have to pay $100 and $40 per line that's $260.

It is a little confusing. I think they are offering the $15/line incentive to people currently IN contract and out of contract in order to get them to switch from the old unlimited plan (or to get people used to using more data/month.. this is probably the biggest incentive).

My wife and I are under contract until January 2015, but we made the switch to this new value plan and we are now only paying $15/line (+ $100 for the 10GB allotment). Keep in mind, this will go back up to $40/line in the future IF you subsidize another phone (the standard $199 down on a phone and be locked in a 2 year contract). It will stay at $15/line if you bring your own phone to the table (buy full price or buy a used one from craigslist, ebay, etc.) OR upgrade with the NEXT plan.

call it courtesy, call it incentive to get people to switch, call it what you want, but AT&T is offering people in contract a chance to save money in the short term hoping to get them into this new model of monthly service costs being separate from phone costs.

Last edited:

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
It is a little confusing. I think they are offering the $15/line incentive to people currently IN contract and out of contract in order to get them to switch from the old unlimited plan (or to get people used to using more data/month.. this is probably the biggest incentive).

My wife and I are under contract until January 2015, but we made the switch to this new value plan and we are now only paying $15/line (+ $100 for the 10GB allotment). Keep in mind, this will go back up to $40/line in the future IF you subsidize another phone (the standard put $199 down on a phone and be locked in a 2 year contract). It will stay at $15/line if you bring your own phone to the table (buy full price or buy a used one from craigslist, ebay, etc.) OR upgrade with the NEXT plan.

call it courtesy, call it incentive to get people to switch, call it what you want, but AT&T is offering people in contract a chance to save money in the short term hoping to get them into this new model of monthly service costs being separate from phone costs.

This explains it perfectly.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
So it wouldn't matter how much we went over it's automatically $15? yikes

If you check your usage before they bill you, you can retroactively bump your plan to the next teir and avoid overage. Your bill will increase but maybe not as much as $15. Then after the bill arrives, just drop it back to 2GB.

----------

But most people weren't on 10GB plans. They were on 4GB and 6 GB data plans.

Thats the crux of this.

Why doesn't ATT offer 4GB at $60. Than $15/per smartphone. So $90 for 2 lines to share 4GB unlimited talk/text.

After all isn't it (or was) $10/GB extra each month.

Look at ATT website closely. Look for 4GB data mobile share. Look at how much its to add a line. It's $40/line to add (subsidized model). And ATT will only give you $15 off each month if you buy full price. So 2 lines 4GB data share will cost you $70 plus $25 x 2 (assuming you pay full price or go NEXT). That's $120/month for 2 lines no contract and sharing 4GB of data.

The 4GB share plan with 2 phones was $150 (Don't switch if you don't need more data).
The 6GB share plan was $160 (Switch, the long term difference is about $6/mo).
More than 6GB, then switch.
If you have 3 or more smart phones on the old plan then SWITCH even if you are on the 4GB plan.

The new 10GB plan is $130 for 2 smart phones.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Occasional lurker here, just made an account to ask actually - is there some kind of catch with these new plans? My family of four recently switched to AT&T's no-contract shared data plan, bringing our own unlocked phones, and we pay $180 for unlimited talk/text/6GB shared. This seems like it would be 4GB more data for 20 dollars less, and I'm suspicious given the fact that it's AT&T. Are they really feeling that much pressure from other providers?

The pricing on these is comparable to T-Mobile's, for way better LTE coverage:

T-Mobile no-contract, 4 2.5GB lines - $140/month

AT&T no-contract, 10GB shared - $160/month

No catch. They need to keep subscribers and try to gain new ones. I've heard the cellular market is at a point in the US where there aren't going to be millions of new customers introduced into the market every year so every subscriber for the carriers is more important now than ever.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
This is confusing, please help me understand this change.

I now pay $230 for 4 line @ 6g (old plan). All 4 line is on contract till Sept 2015. I was thinking that if i change to 10g new plan i would have to pay $100 and $40 per line that's $260.

You get grandfathered to $15/line until Sept 2015.

Your bill will be $160, saving you $1,330 over that period. In september You can buy the phones outright and keep your bill the same.

Its proven that buying the phones outright is cheaper than even the old subsidy model.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007

My wife and I are under contract until January 2015, but we made the switch to this new value plan and we are now only paying $15/line (+ $100 for the 10GB allotment). Keep in mind, this will go back up to $40/line in the future IF you subsidize another phone (the standard $199 down on a phone and be locked in a 2 year contract). It will stay at $15/line if you bring your own phone to the table (buy full price or buy a used one from craigslist, ebay, etc.) OR upgrade with the NEXT plan.

It's not confusing. It's the start of phasing out subsidized phones and getting people ready for the shock of them realizing they were never actually getting the phones for as cheap as they thought they were. The price of the phones after the "down payment" was always built into the 2 year contracts. We are now having the service and the cost of the phones separated via NEXT on top of adding more GB per line in a war among the carriers to gain subscribers.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It's not confusing. It's the start of phasing out subsidized phones and getting people ready for the shock of them realizing they were never actually getting the phones for as cheap as they thought they were. The price of the phones after the "down payment" was always built into the 2 year contracts. We are now having the service and the cost of the phones separated via NEXT on top of adding more GB per line in a war among the carriers to gain subscribers.

the "confusing" part to the person I quoted was the fact that he is in contract but is still getting the $15/line if he switches to this new value plan.

otherwise, not confusing to me. and I've never had delusions of my phones ever only costing me $199. I'm glad they are separating the service cost from the phone cost! :)

btv94

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013

You get grandfathered to $15/line until Sept 2015.

Your bill will be $160, saving you $1,330 over that period. In september You can buy the phones outright and keep your bill the same.

Its proven that buying the phones outright is cheaper than even the old subsidy model.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess i will have to switch to new plan. Hopefully by that time i still can get good price of old iphone. If i really need to buy a newer model (iphone 6 or 7)

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
the "confusing" part to the person I quoted was the fact that he is in contract but is still getting the $15/line if he switches to this new value plan.

otherwise, not confusing to me. and I've never had delusions of my phones ever only costing me $199. I'm glad they are separating the service cost from the phone cost! :)

Yes. And this is also better for people who want to just add extra lines to their account or replace a line with a differently sourced phone also.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
PART IN BOLD IS WRONG....

As indicated here by many people that have switched already, the cost is $15 per line. This applies to phone still under contract as of Feb 2nd. I moved over 3 contract phones, and they are NOT on NEXT.

why do people keep quoting the $40 per line thing.

You are correct in that CURRENT lines go to $15 per line. I was talking about future purchases. If you subsidize in the future, lines go to $40! Thus, my annual bill for 4 lines will actually go up by $20 a month (IF I SUBSIDIZE IN THE FUTURE).

The reason people keep posting $40 per line, is because at some point you're gonna have to make the decision to buy outright, enroll in NEXT, or SUBSIDIZE. If you choose the latter, you'll pay $40 per line.

In fact, under these new plans, when your bill comes in you'll see you are actually being charged $40 per line anyway. However, you receive a $25 credit if you: (1) purchased your phone outright, (2) enroll in NEXT, OR (3) switched to the new plan before the promotion ends.

I have made the switch and understand my current lines are now $15. That will not hold true if I enroll in NEXT or SUBSIDIZE in the future.

Last edited:

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
In fact, under these new plans, when your bill comes in you'll see you are actually being charged $40 per line anyway. However, you receive a $25 credit if you: (1) purchased your phone outright, (2) enroll in NEXT, OR (3) switched to the new plan before the promotion ends.

Just curious, is there a known date when the "$15 even for subsidized phones" promotion ends?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I guess I'm one of the few but it works for me going the subsidized route. I sell all my old devices unlocked and with that it usually pays off most of the upfront costs e.g. $299 $399 that you pay for a new iPhone. I rather pay just $40 a month than the $25 as I'll be on a 2GB mobile plan + on top of the $25 charge for leasing through Next. I like this route as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg for the full retail price of the phone and everything stays steady at $40 per line. Do you really pay that much more than Next going this subsidized route if your selling your old phone?

----------

Just curious, is there a known date when the "$15 even for subsidized phones" promotion ends?
Are you guys sure about this and it being only $15 a line if you're subsidized? I have a subsidized iPhone 5 currently still under contract until September am on Family Talk right now. I was told by a rep if I ditched my unlimited data and moved to this mobile share value plan it'd cost me $40 for the line until I got out of my contract then it'd go down to $25.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
Are you guys sure about this and it being only $15 a line if you're subsidized? I have a subsidized iPhone 5 currently still under contract until September am on Family Talk right now. I was told by a rep if I ditched my unlimited data and moved to this mobile share value plan it'd cost me $40 for the line until I got out of my contract then it'd go down to $25.

You were told wrong.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Do you just change to a 10gb/month data plan to get the cheaper per phone prices or do you have to specifically ask for it?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
I guess I'm one of the few but it works for me going the subsidized route. I sell all my old devices unlocked and with that it usually pays off most of the upfront costs e.g. $299 $399 that you pay for a new iPhone. I rather pay just $40 a month than the $25 as I'll be on a 2GB mobile plan + on top of the $25 charge for leasing through Next. I like this route as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg for the full retail price of the phone and everything stays steady at $40 per line. Do you really pay that much more than Next going this subsidized route if your selling your old phone?

----------

Bottom line. I am paying about $90 less for services a month on my bill after switching. That's not even taking into account that I went from 4GB to 10 GB and that this alone would equal $90 in overage charges. So you could say I am paying $180 less a month because I definitely will be using a huge chunk of that new 10GB plan.

Works for me.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

see my above post at the top of this page. My contract doesn't end until January 2015. I switched to this plan and it is showing up as $15/line (it shows up as $40/line with a discount of $25/line). In fact, my iPhone is now unlockable. I sent in the unlock request to AT&T the other day and it just got approved (before if I tried the unlock request, it just told me my IMEI was "unlockable").

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
see my above post at the top of this page. My contract doesn't end until January 2015. I switched to this plan and it is showing up as $15/line (it shows up as $40/line with a discount of $25/line). In fact, my iPhone is now unlockable. I sent in the unlock request to AT&T the other day and it just got approved (before if I tried the unlock request, it just told me my IMEI was "unlockable").
Nice, you know what though I wonder if you're only getting that discount where it's $15 a line subsidized under contract because you're under the 10GB share plan and above? I will be getting the 2GB plan hell even if it's $25 sounds good to me, was quoted that it'd be $40 numerous times though. I really need to know because if it's that cheap I'll switch.
You were told wrong.
I really don't feel like calling them up again but maybe I will have to ugh

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Nice, you know what though I wonder if you're only getting that discount where it's $15 a line subsidized under contract because you're under the 10GB share plan and above? I will be getting the 2GB plan hell even if it's $25 sounds good to me, was quoted that it'd be $40 numerous times though. I really need to know because if it's that cheap I'll switch.

I really don't feel like calling them up again but maybe I will have to ugh

good point, everything I'm referencing is for the 10GB plan. I do believe the lower data allotment plans have a different price structure. I could go look now, but off and away from my computer for a moment. Will have to look into it further...

for me, using the 10GB share plan, it's $15/line (+$100 (10GB allotment))

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
You were told wrong.

It seems a lot of reps are confused about this. We had 5 lines, three on unlimited and two on 2gig plans sharing 2100 minutes with three phones in contract. Our bill was around $330 a month.

I just switched four of the lines over to a 10gb shared data plan at $100 with each smart phone being $15 while dropping our minutes plan down to 450 so that I can keep my unlimited. Our bill should now come out to $230.00, $70 for the unlimited plan with 450 minutes and $160 for the shared 10gb plan according to the AT&T store.

While looking online I noticed that it was showing each smart phone at $40 instead of $15. I talked with an online chat rep and he said there will only be a one time discount of $25 per line.

If that's the case, my phone bill would actually increase. I rushed back over to the AT&T store and they assured me it would be $15 a month forever. So we will see in a few months.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
..I really don't feel like calling them up again but maybe I will have to ugh

You do not have to call. Go to your account online.

It will give you the price for YOUR ACCOUNT. You click okay and it is done.

Example:

4 phones under new plan

$100 for 10gb
$15 for each phone
any phone, even on contract prior to Feb 1st get the $15.

DONE. No contract. No other charges.

WHY ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO MAKE THIS DIFFICULT? It is very simple. People have come here over and over and said they changed. No problem.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
In fact, my iPhone is now unlockable. I sent in the unlock request to AT&T the other day and it just got approved (before if I tried the unlock request, it just told me my IMEI was "unlockable").

This did not work for me. I tried 2 different phones and got denied the unlock.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina

According to AT&T, any customer on a service contract prior to 2 February are able to switch to these new plans. I imagine there will be no expiration date for anyone wanting to switch.

----------

Just because you've switched to the new plans, doesn't mean you are no longer tied to your service contract. It simply means you're now instantly saving money per line. Also, on these new plans you are able to upgrade your line immediately if you use the NEXT program regardless of your service contract. Once you do this, you're service contract will go bye-bye.

Because you're still tied to the service contract, AT&T is not obligated to unlock your device. I'm not sure how the other poster was able to get this accomplished.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You do not have to call. Go to your account online.

It will give you the price for YOUR ACCOUNT. You click okay and it is done.

Example:

4 phones under new plan

$100 for 10gb
$15 for each phone
any phone, even on contract prior to Feb 1st get the $15.

DONE. No contract. No other charges.

WHY ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO MAKE THIS DIFFICULT? It is very simple. People have come here over and over and said they changed. No problem.
It isn't that easy though at least not for me. I have been logged into my account and currently am on FamilyNation, all it shows is the higher tiered plans for me 700/1400 and so on when selecting change plan. It does show where I can click to get the Mobile Share Value plan but it's a dead link that shows this.

2gv289w.png

good point, everything I'm referencing is for the 10GB plan. I do believe the lower data allotment plans have a different price structure. I could go look now, but off and away from my computer for a moment. Will have to look into it further...

for me, using the 10GB share plan, it's $15/line (+$100 (10GB allotment))
The question remains, if you are subsidized w/ a few months left on your contract and on a plan under the 10GB e.g. the 2GB Mobile Share value plan is your line still $15? Is it $25 since you aren't on the 10GB plan and above like it is with Next?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It isn't that easy though at least not for me. I have been logged into my account and currently am on FamilyNation, all it shows is the higher tiered plans for me 700/1400 and so on when selecting change plan. It does show where I can click to get the Mobile Share Value plan but it's a dead link that shows this.

snip

The question remains, if you are subsidized w/ a few months left on your contract and on a plan under the 10GB e.g. the 2GB Mobile Share value plan is your line still $15? Is it $25 since you aren't on the 10GB plan and above like it is with Next?

here's what the change plans screen shows for me (NOTE: I am currently on this new 10 GB plan, if I select the 2 GB plan, it's actually more expensive).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 79

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

hmm.. not sure why it worked for me. I read somewhere (some random internet forum) that while I'm still technically on contract, I could unlock now on this plan. So i thought I would give it a try and it worked. But it probably worked for some other reason related to my account... not sure why... my contract isn't up till January 2015. I'll take it though! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.