Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DetTigers

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Not to mention I can tether my iPad quite a bit with 10GB of data for no additional charge! I'm sold...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Didn't realize there were options for less than 10gb mobile share.

Postpaid has the advantage over gophone in pricing all around for off contract customers with 2 or more lines. About time!!

Now show some love to people with single lines.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Didn't realize there were options for less than 10gb mobile share.

Postpaid has the advantage over gophone in pricing all around for off contract customers with 2 or more lines. About time!!

Now show some love to people with single lines.
You can get mobile value plans under 10 GB but most prices of the of phones on said plan go up from $15 to $25 so there's some catch there to the cheaper base price

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Just recently switched from an OLD plan they had back in the day (cingular days) to this new Family Value Shared Plan.. So far it's pretty good.

There's 3 lines in my account and when I switched to this I only had to pay a little over $10-15 more than my old one.. But i must say. It's worth it.

Cause we had 2 lines with 200MB and 1 line with 2GB. So… with that said adding $10-15 more onto my bill with Unlimited Text/Call and having 10GB total is totally worth the upgrade for me.

Only concern now is the NEXT Plan… I don't know how I feel about it yet. I guess paying monthly for a phone isn't too bad, but I'd rather pay the $199 for a new smartphone just to get it over with.

ALSO: My iPhone 5s shows a "Personal Hotspot" button now after switching plans/restarting my phone.. Is that free with this plan or is that an extra? If anyone knows.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Just recently switched from an OLD plan they had back in the day (cingular days) to this new Family Value Shared Plan.. So far it's pretty good.

There's 3 lines in my account and when I switched to this I only had to pay a little over $10-15 more than my old one.. But i must say. It's worth it.

Cause we had 2 lines with 200MB and 1 line with 2GB. So… with that said adding $10-15 more onto my bill with Unlimited Text/Call and having 10GB total is totally worth the upgrade for me.

Only concern now is the NEXT Plan… I don't know how I feel about it yet. I guess paying monthly for a phone isn't too bad, but I'd rather pay the $199 for a new smartphone just to get it over with.

ALSO: My iPhone 5s shows a "Personal Hotspot" button now after switching plans/restarting my phone.. Is that free with this plan or is that an extra? If anyone knows.

Welcome to the new age! The personal hotspot allows you to tether non-cellular devices (laptop, iPad, etc.) to your cell phone to get internet access. Any data they use goes against your 10GB monthly allotment. It is a free feature on the data plans.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Welcome to the new age! The personal hotspot allows you to tether non-cellular devices (laptop, iPad, etc.) to your cell phone to get internet access. Any data they use goes against your 10GB monthly allotment. It is a free feature on the data plans.
or just jailbreak and you can do it on an unlimited plan if you haven't switched over yet:)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

The old subsidized model is still available, but you end up paying more overall than you would with the Next plans.

*edit* I'm only referring to the 10GB and higher data packages.

Last edited:

sashusmom

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
I just lucked out!

I just fell into this. I ported my prepaid t-mobile number into att's family plan and got a free smartphone- to prepare for porting everyone out to tmobile. How pleasantly shocked was I when I read about the new family value share plans changes. I purchased my phone and added the line at the end of Jan.

Feb 5th I switched everyone to the $160 family share plan (there's 4 of us) and it dropped our att bill by $60. No need to port out to tmo. We keep our better service, and save, and the other 2 got new iphones in Sept. so we are good for the next 2 years.

I agree a large part of the price changes on att's part was a response to tmobile's pressure.

When they announced the family data share plan a year ago these prices was what I was expecting to see a year ago. But when I checked it out it would have cost us more $ per month to share data, and get less!!!! We stayed on the traditional RO 550 plan, I went to prepaid. ATT ticked me off!

Now we are all together again, paying less per month, and if we went to tmo, it would have been about the same $ wise. So no headache to start new plans at tmo. We are very happy to stay with att and that $60 savings/month was my goal anyway. Thank you John Legere!;)

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I guess that is true, but those lower cost plans really only make sense if you have a single phone(and even then, they're overpriced IMO). I mean, for two phones, the 4GB plan would run you $120 a month.For $10 a month more, you get 6GB more data. If you're on the 6 or 8GB plans, it makes even less sense.

I guess I just don't have a problem paying full price for my phones, so long as my monthly bill is lower. I can choose to save a lot of money by simply not upgrading.

Well, we have 2 phones on the plan. In the 2-plus years we have had iPhones we have only gone over 1 Gb total between us in select months (power outages due to hurricanes and travel) and have never even approached 2 Gb. Switching back to the 2 Gb plan for us will be no hardship.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
FAN accounts and new plan

I just realized I was getting 25% off my VOICE plans (but unfortunately not my data) with my FAN discount but under the new share plan I lose a lot of discount since my voice plans are now $15 each rather than $45 each. I saved a net of $10 BEFORE discount with the new plan but with the change my 2 lines will actually cost more. I did gain a lot of data (10gb vs 2gb) but I never took my FAN discount into consideration when computing the $$$ savings and the data increase really wasn't that important(but was nice to have).

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I just realized I was getting 25% off my VOICE plans (but unfortunately not my data) with my FAN discount but under the new share plan I lose a lot of discount since my voice plans are now $15 each rather than $45 each. I saved a net of $10 BEFORE discount with the new plan but with the change my 2 lines will actually cost more. I did gain a lot of data (10gb vs 2gb) but I never took my FAN discount into consideration when computing the $$$ savings and the data increase really wasn't that important(but was nice to have).

I switched from Family Talk to Mobile Share and my FAN applies to the shared data bucket. For you this would save $25 off the 10GB plan.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
So grow up. AT&T will eventually force you to dump it one way or another.

No they won't. AT&T takes care of their loyal unlimited customers as well the others. Any and every AT&T contract, no matter how old is valid until the user terminates the contact. I know, two of mine are ten year old unlimited plans that I've upgraded phones on every year. I pay on time, and AT&T is happy to have my business.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
No they won't. AT&T takes care of their loyal unlimited customers as well the others. Any and every AT&T contract, no matter how old is valid until the user terminates the contact. I know, two of mine are ten year old unlimited plans that I've upgraded phones on every year. I pay on time, and AT&T is happy to have my business.

Except your being throttled after a certain GB. :rolleyes:

At any time they can kill that plan. Want a new phone? Gotta select a new plan. It'll happen. No need to be naive about it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I switched from Family Talk to Mobile Share and my FAN applies to the shared data bucket. For you this would save $25 off the 10GB plan.

Different FAN accounts apply the discount to different parts of the service.

----------

At any time they can kill that plan. Want a new phone? Gotta select a new plan. It'll happen. No need to be naive about it.

I know that AT&T could do this, but they typically don't pull this kind of crap. You're probably thinking of Verizon.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I know that AT&T could do this, but they typically don't pull this kind of crap. You're probably thinking of Verizon.

They might not do it with a new phone, but what happens when they roll out the next generation data network? Surely something has to be in the works? LTE-advanced??? 5g???

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
They might not do it with a new phone, but what happens when they roll out the next generation data network? Surely something has to be in the works? LTE-advanced??? 5g???

The people with unlimited data have had it prior to the LTE rollout. AT&T didn't do anything during that addition to their network.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013

You're clueless.

I'm speaking from first hand experience. I buy two new phones every year, an iPhone and an Android phone. AT&T spends millions advertising for customers like me that spend the money, maintain multiple lines, and buy lots of phones. My lifetime value to them is not something they take lightly.

Loyalty comes with great rewards.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Switched

I was paying with a discount to Verizon for two smartphone lines and a basic line 165 (without tax which I assume will be about the same). Now at 145 without the discount 125 with my discount. $480 per year savings and was able to use my existing iPhone 5's from Verizon on AT&T.

One caveat, my iPhone 5 cannot get AT&T LTE bands, though I am getting 3G+ (they're 4G). That is absolutely fine, it was only a few mbps off of what I was getting on Verizon LTE. I can hold out until the next iPhone for that.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
I have 8 lines on my account, all iPhones 5C & 5S's. I confirmed with AT&T chat that my new bill would be the plan cost plus $15 a month per line, he said yes and made it very clear my bill would be about $270 a Month which is AMAZING coming from the $425 a month i am currently at. However, when i made the switch i got an email for all my lines saying that the monthly charge would be $40 now.

I think AT&T hasnt educated their employees and i think i just ****ed myself by switching my plan over. @ $40 per line and a $150 plan, What i might actually end up paying is $470 plus taxes...

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Also, does anyone know of a place on myatt that will tell you how many months are left on contract per line?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think AT&T hasnt educated their employees and i think i just ****ed myself by switching my plan over. @ $40 per line and a $150 plan, What i might actually end up paying is $470 plus taxes...

If all of your phones were upgraded prior to 2/2, you should be fine. Although, if you want to confirm this, you'll need to call AT&T and ask them.

When I called in, they explained that my bill will show a $100 charge for 10GB of data, and 5 $40 charges for the 5 lines. Each line will also show a $25 discount, which I think is kind of goofy but whatever, the math comes out the same.

----------

Also, does anyone know of a place on myatt that will tell you how many months are left on contract per line?

Log into your account, click "Profile" and then "User information." From here you can select each line and see when the contract end date is.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
If all of your phones were upgraded prior to 2/2, you should be fine. Although, if you want to confirm this, you'll need to call AT&T and ask them.

When I called in, they explained that my bill will show a $100 charge for 10GB of data, and 5 $40 charges for the 5 lines. Each line will also show a $25 discount, which I think is kind of goofy but whatever, the math comes out the same.

----------

Log into your account, click "Profile" and then "User information." From here you can select each line and see when the contract end date is.

AWESOME, Thanks for that info.

I guess the only way around this when the next iphone comes out is hope that they lift the 4 phone limit on the Next Plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.