Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Calling dynaflash, caveman....LOL

I was seriously considering performing the ATV ESATA mod (where, in a nutshell, you take out the existing hard drive in the ATV and replace it with a larger/faster one) on my current ATV for holding some of my HD content that plays back better when synced. (sometimes, certain HD content is choppy and isn't very responsive for FF and Rewind when streamed.)

Given the new ATV's updated specs, I am wondering if it will handle streaming this HD content better?

In other words, no "need" to sync my custom HD content....

I know it's a little too early to tell, because the device isn't even out yet, but maybe the Handbrake experts can weigh in on HD content streaming given the posted specs for the new Apple TV?

Worth waiting for?

Or, go ahead and perform the ESATA mod on my old ATV because the posted specs for the new one aren't going to make a difference with streaming HD content?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well ... I dunno tbh. I mean the new atv does not have any benefit from a network performance perspective so I don't know how it would stream any better barring a larger network buffer built in. For those of us that like the reliability and non reliance on a computer running iTunes to be able to watch our own content. I can not see how this is a step up in this particular area. For all we know the only content the new atv will allow to stream is iTunes drm'd content. We have no way to know yet if it would even allow you to stream your own non drm'd content. Too early to tell.

For my part the best thing I see is people selling existing atvs wicked cheap when the new one comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.