Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awoodworkerslife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2019
BC Canada
I need some guidance from those of you that are more experienced with newer laptop batteries than me. I just replaced the battery in my 2017 13 inch MBA (Intel i5) with a new OEM apple battery. Along with the battery came a booklet on various aspects of battery care, including “calibrating your laptop battery to optimize his performance.” However, the steps it gives don’t seem to match up fully with the options I see on the screen and I’d love some opinions on what I should actually do now that I’ve put a new battery in this thing.

This is what the instructions read:

Calibrate your laptop battery to optimize its performance

Inside the laptop battery is microprocessor software, which calculates the battery volume during the charging/discharging. Batteries must be calibrated from time to time to ensure correctness of the time and the percentage displayed on the screen. You must implement a complete cycle of charging and discharging the battery at the beginning of using the computer, and repeat this cycle every two or three months. The charging and discharging procedure is as follows:

1. Set the Power Supply option first: Right click on the screen and select
Property -> Screen Saver -> Power Supply > Power Use Scheme > Portable. In all the subsequent operations such as When Computer and Use Battery, select Never. Under the Alert option, deselect Alert for deficient battery and Alert for serious battery shortage.

2. Disconnect the power adapter and use the battery until the computer is powered off due to exhaustion of the battery.

3. Connect the power adapter until the battery is charged to 100%. Before initial use of the computer (or resuming use of the computer after long-term storage), the battery must be charged to full and discharged for 3-4 times to optimize the performance. The charging process takes more than five hours.

4. Note: When your battery is calibrated and reaches the best performance, set the Power Supply Options on your computer to the default value to ensure that the computer can send correct alerts to you, for example, low battery alert, and alert before the computer enters the hibernation status.

You must discharge the battery to let the computer power off, and then charge the battery to 100% to calibrate it. Then you can connect or disconnect the power supply anytime regardless of the status of the battery volume. Moreover, you can perform a deep charging and discharging cycle under control of the protection circuit in a time
segment to calibrate the electricity statistics of the battery. However, this does not increase the actual capacity of the battery.

Tips: When the battery becomes "empty", the computer enters the hibernation mode forcibly. The battery reserves a certain electricity volume to ensure that the computer can hibernate for a time segment. When the battery is really exhausted, the computer is powered off forcibly. At this time, any open documents will be lost.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmmm... I find it doubtful that you got an actual Apple OEM battery, but bought a battery that is sold as a replacement. Sometimes "engineered" (so they want you to think) to charge and operate properly on a Mac.
The main reason that I suggest not an Apple OEM is that questionable calibration booklet... NOT from Apple.
The very first problem for me is the very non-Apple steps to "right-click on the screen, and select Property/Screensaver/Power Supply/Power Use Scheme/Portable". Nothing in that setup exists on any version of OS X or macOS - and the steps look very close to what you might find in Windows
iFixit.com has a few steps that will give you the calibration that your battery needs, without trying to de-code a bunch of Windows "gobbledy-gook" - and you should find this method quite effective for you -
Scroll down the page to Step 5. Calibration process takes a few hours, and is worth taking that time, especially for the first calibration with a new battery.

Awoodworkerslife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2019
BC Canada
Thank you guys for the help. The instructions you gave make more sense and I’ll follow them. I’m hoping that this is just a generic pamphlet that they toss in the box when they ship a new battery. This is the exact battery I purchased. https://laptopparts.ca/products/new...-a1496-020-8143-a?_pos=1&_sid=d9fd57bb1&_ss=r

The replacement looked identical to the OEM except for the replacement having a date sticker on it of 2-2024.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 19

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Don’t worry about adjusting the power settings. You can, but changing them is really only to have the battery drain faster.

To simplify what even iFixit states:

1. Charge it to 100%, and keep charging it for at least two more hours.
  2. Unplug your laptop and use it normally to drain the battery — if relevant, save your work frequently when/after you see the low battery warning.
  3. Keep your laptop on/in use until it goes to sleep automatically due to critically low battery.
  4. Charge your laptop again to 100%.
You can perform this calibration as often as you want. However, the booklet is correct that you only ‘need’ to “repeat this cycle every two or three months."

Reactions: Awoodworkerslife
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.