Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
I just got a Canon Powershot S410, but iPhoto doesn't seem to recognize when I plug it in via usb. Ideas?

Specific Questions:

1) Do I need to turn the camera on manually? Or can I plug in a powered down camera and have it turn on automatically? (Obviously, I've tried both, but if there's a definitive answer out there it'd be nice.)

2) I think it might be the USB cable because my computer at work didn't recognize it either. At the time, I just assumed it was random Win98 flakiness and I was too busy to fix it. Now I'm not so sure. Is there any way to verify the integrity of a new cable?

help!

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
ha ha ha. Apparently i need to set it in "Playback" mode manually. Not "Camera" mode. Who knew?

btw - the canon documentation is completely incomprehensible.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
jesuscandle said:
ha ha ha. Apparently i need to set it in "Playback" mode manually. Not "Camera" mode. Who knew?

btw - the canon documentation is completely incomprehensible.

You might need to use the imagecapture utility to get any movies off tghe camera as iPhoto at the moment doesnt pull them off...

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Standard deal for me for any digital camera has been:

1) Boot iPhoto.

2) Connect camera to computer with USB cable.

3) Set camera to playback mode and turn on.

4) When iPhoto recognizes and says "import?"... import!

5) Be sure when you are done to drag the camera HD icon to the trash to unmount it first, then turn off or unplug the camera. Most camers will actually say "disconnect OK" or something like that when you unmount the camera.

6) If you have any movies, drag them manually off the HD icon to the desktop.

Cheers!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Actually if you hook up the camera first and then power it on in view mode it should open iPhoto for you just like plugging an iPod in opens iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.