Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the next revision MBP will have a new case design?

• Yes

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 64 66.7%

• Total voters

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
if they return to plastic, I would not mind. Aluminum is sexy and all but it dents easily. I want a notebook that's durable enough so I don't need to baby it all the time.
Agreed. My PowerBook has not proved to be at all as durable as a "pro" product should be. I am seriously considering a MacBook for my next computer even though I hate the glossy display and the awful new keyboard, because I am loath to spend $2000 on a MacBook Pro that I know is not going to hold up very well to the kind of unrelenting heavy use I give it.

If they must use metal they should use magnesium alloy or even titanium (wait, didn't they use that once ;) ?) which are a lot stronger than aluminum. I think the Lenovo ThinkPads, at least the higher-end ones, are magnesium alloy.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I doubt that the MacBook Pro will have a design change, but if it does I do not want a darker colour casing, I just don't find laptops with dark coloured casing to be as appealing. I also do not want the magnetic latch, I tried it at the Apple store and I just didn't like the magnetic latch. I would like the easy replaceable hard drive though, and maybe the option of two batteries like the PowerBook G3 :D.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
The current motif of Apple's line, with the exception of the MB, is aluminum.

The exception of the MacBook, the iMac, the full-sized iPod, Mac mini, :apple:tv and AirPort Extreme.

I was referring to Macs actually. The iMac has an aluminum stand and the sides of the Mac Mini are aluminum. I think the MB is the only computer w/o aluminum.

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
I was referring to Macs actually. The iMac has an aluminum stand and the sides of the Mac Mini are aluminum. I think the MB is the only computer w/o aluminum.
Interesting observation. I never noticed the iMac and Mac mini's aluminum parts - I guess you can tell I am not too interested in desktops ;) .

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It's not really the same, though. Granted, it looks mostly the same, but there are some design changes. It's thinner. Minor things, sure, but how much can you improve upon perfection? :)

For starters Apple can redefine perfection (not the market-speek variant) by making the lids on the MBPs not warp.

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
I think there is a good chance

I think there is a good chance of a new case design because:

1) the case design is at least like 6 years old (this is an estimate but I do know the outside case design is pretty darn old as in case designs go).

2) Instead of changing the case design when :apple: changed to Intel (which would of alienated g4 users) they are probably taking one thing at a time. Now that all of the mac lineup has been switched to Intel the pro computers will be the next on the list to update

What I can't imagine though is apple being able to make a better looking macbook pro, but then again I couldn't imagine apple making a phone that could be so innovative.

Which leads me to my 3rd) conclusion that the update to the case design will probably be based off of some innovation that will thus need the MBP to over go some type case design change.

A lot of people including myself would think why mess with something that isn't broken, the design is beautiful, any one who see the notebook is always drooling over it. BUT sadly that is not how the market works, to keep business and gain more business you got to keeping on evolving and moving. Hopefully apple will take that next step in the right direction.:eek:

dreamfocused

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Toronto
i'm not a big fan of my current MBP color, i prefer black or white even, i guess i'm just not a silver color type of person... it's getting old... but i still love my MBP... it's beautiful :D

i won't be getting a new Mac anytime soon but i'd love to see a new design. a more easily accessible HDD bay and a new color.

if or when that is going to happen is anybody's guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.