Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Hey all, my two month old dual 2.0 Powermac G5 is doing something funky. A couple of times a week I'll come in after work and the G5 is asleep but the fans are running a thousand miles an hour and occasionally the red light is on in the case. The computer is non-responsive to keyboard or mouse movements and I have to either hold down the power button to turn it off (if the red light is not on) or pull the plug (if the red light is on).

I'm not sure what could be causing this... I run several programs at once which I leave running when I leave, or put it to sleep with the power button. I haven't lost anything important yet but really need to figure out what is wrong. Stability is one of the main reasons I switched to a mac!

I've got all the software updates and am running 10.4.5 with 1GB factory RAM. The usual programs that I usually have running are firefox, entourage, photoshop and itunes.

Not sure what other info might be helpful.... Thanks!

weeag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
mad jew said:
What third party hardware are you using? This sort of problem often stems from a third party PCI card.

I'm not using anything thrid party inside... just what came directly from Apple. Externally I've got several USB devices - all-in-one printer, webcam, memory card reader, UPS back-up, mouse & keyboard. Nothing Firewire is being used.

I haven't tried unplugging things yet to see if one of them is the problem... That's going to be a ton of hassle as the computer isn't consistant when it crashes and I need all the USB devices plugged in as I use each of them daily.

Thanks for the continued help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.