Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
feh

Lord Sandwich said:
Anyone else feel like the eMac would get a lot more attention if it weren't so... ugly? Next to everything else in Apple's line-up it looks like an afterthought for children 8 years or younger.
here here! Seriously though, the eMac is a machine built for children which is why we now have the Mini. Same price point (considering keyboard/monitor/mouse prices), about the same stats, and SEXY.

milatchi

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I think the eMac should be killed off and a big push should be made for the Mac mini.

As for the edu's, they should start going with low end iMacs or Mac minis for their lab and computing needs.

Out with the old and end with the new! <- It's the Apple way.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
wasn't there a recent bench test on the emac vs last rev iMac that the eMac did a few things faster in its G4 body than the iMac in its G5 self.

I have an eMac in a bonus room, shared by my 3 elementary daughters, wireless internet and printer (airport express). Works great all the time.

shady28

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2005
miloblithe said:
I'm impressed by the graphics card update (is the 9600 better than the 5200 in the bottom of the line Powermac?). The rest is underwhelming, but in total it's pretty nice. The graphics card alone makes this a better buy than the mini right now, but as others have pointed out, if you buy a mini and a nice monitor, in two years you can buy a new mini and keep the monitor you already have.

I hope, and imagine, the next mini update will bring it back in line with the eMac specs, especially the graphics card. I also hope they change the memory configuration to 256 (or 512) on board plus one free slot.

The 9600 is way better. In PC benchmarks, it's in the 50% - 100% faster area over the 5200. It's real competitor was the GF 5600, and it pretty handily beat that card in most benchmarks.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Lord Sandwich said:
Anyone else feel like the eMac would get a lot more attention if it weren't so... ugly? Next to everything else in Apple's line-up it looks like an afterthought for children 8 years or younger.

I wouldn't call that eMac "ugly", just not as "sexy" as the rest of the Macs. Course when a computer is meant for the education market, you really don't want a computer intended for students to have a "sex appeal" ;)

(Yes I know non-students can buy eMacs to)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
So they changed the little resistors on them and upgraded the VRAM.
Neat!

:)

And comments about it not being "sexy" should really see it on a desk-- they aren't PowerBook like but they certainly look nice!

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
The eMac looks quite beautiful and elegant on "eMac Tilt and Swivel Stand" that Apple sells -- the machine seems to float, and doesn't look so much like a squat, clunky VT100 terminal. Our organization has about 20 of these machines with said stands, and they're great and look classy.

And the Mac mini really isn't a good replacement for the eMac, given the latter's target market of education -- the thing is darned nigh indestructable, and so heavy as to be immovable. Imagine minis and LCDs in an elementary school lab after a term -- it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
to much talk of killing off the eMac. the eMac is great, cheep, and fits a lot of peoples needes jsut fine. my iwn included. i am glad apple is keeping it around and I hope they do in the future as well.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hooray, the eMac is back!

For $200 more than the top Mac Mini you add:

Flat CRT display
Speakers (and not bad ones either)
Microphone
Audio-in port
Desktop-speed HD
Video mirroring
More USB ports
More Firewire ports
Faster GPU
Double the VRAM
Fewer cables, no power supply needed
Bundled mouse and keyboard
Easier RAM upgrade access

And still Apple style and simplicity: no tower.

Another $200 gets you double the RAM, double the HD, and a SuperDrive--with dual-layer DVD burning. Even the lowest iMac doesn't have that.

Schools will love this (CRTs are more durable). I know I love mine!

Student pricing: $749, or $899 for the top model.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
cube said:
Fast mini + new 17" flat CRT: $700

eMac is not a good deal.

what? the emac also has speakers a keyboard/mouse 64mb of vram more usb/firewire ports and an audio in jack the emac is not the deal of the century butits not a rip off

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
256 is paltry--for Windows OR Mac--but acceptable. Entry-level PCs don't have 512 either. Most people will want it, but it costs something.

I'm glad the eMac has 512 standard on the second model. 512 as the rock-bottom baseline will come in time.

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
I'd Take The "e"

At the Canadian Apple Store, the base iMac is $1,599.00 CAD

1.8GHz G5
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive
ATI Radeon 9600
128MB DDR video memory

The high end eMac at the Canadian Apple Store is $1,249.00 CAD

In order to bring the cost of the eMac up to the cost of the iMac, you would need to upgrade your system to look like this:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
1GB SDRAM DDR333 - 2 DIMMs (Apple's RAM is about 2x$ of aftermarket stuff)
160GB Ultra ATA drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Internal Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
ATI Radeon 9600 w/64MB DDR video memory
cost: $1,540.00 CAD leaving enough $ for a short spindle of those expensive DL - DVD's

I wonder how these two machines would compare to eachother speedwise? I know the iMac would have a little difficulty burning DVD's, and the thought of backing up my photo album (14,039 pictures) on the iMac's combo drive does not thrill me.

In my opinion, the only drawback to the eMac system, for what I do on a computer, is that the gpu is 1/2 of what the iMac's is. But in reality the new eMac's gpu is twice as potent as the gpu soldered into my eMac at home.

I'm sure there are many users who "live by the numbers" and need the G5, 600MHz frontside bus, 512K L2 cache etc...but the reality is...I don't.

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
iGary said:
I'm honestly surprised they haven't killed the thing yet, but I guess the EDU market is still asking for them. :rolleyes:

Sure are. If we had been unable to get eMacs, I'd have placed an order for 800 Dells instead. Too many issues with the Mac mini, security and not being able to get monitor warranty repairs from Apple. LCDs are too expensive and too fragile, we have LCDs here and there in the schools and in one lab a kid threw a floppy disk to another kid who missed it causing a floppy-sized dead zone in a 17" Apple Studio Display.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
they will probably eventually phase the emac out now with the mac mini at 300 dollars less ;)

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
joeboy_45101 said:
One problem with your analysis, you have Windows XP Home Edition as the OS. If you were to compare Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition to Mac OS X Tiger then the only fair comparison is with the Windows Professional Package. Windows XP Professional retails for about $199 the home edition retails for $99. Also, Tiger comes with Xcode developer tools for free. Microsoft's developer package Visual Studio Professional is $799. Plus, Apple throws in iLife '05 for free. The only comparable software package for the Windows world is (formerly) Roxio Easy Media Creator which goes for $99. And and ATI 9600 Graphics card at $155 and we have a machine that will have:

Featured at Dimension 3000
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® Professional Edition
FREE Memory Upgrade to 512MB
FREE 80GB Hard Drive Upgrade
FREE Dell 720 Printer or Upgrade to a Photo All-in-One for as low as $35
Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

For $589, but you need to add the extras

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional (+ $799)
Roxio Easy Media Creator (+$99)
ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics Card (+ $155)

Grand Total:
$1642

Note: The addition of Microsoft Visual Studio Professional to the package is not unfair, since Apple provides their Xcode development suite with all versions of Tiger it is only fair that we calculate the comparable Microsoft suite in with all Windows PC's. Whether it is used or unused by the owner is not in question, only what comes with the hardware and software.
That's a very unfair comparison. The eMac is not meant for developers, and neither is that PC. Dell offers 3GHz computers for $329 and it comes with a keyboard, mouse, 17" CRT (which can be upgraded to a 15" CRT for free), and more. Will the person buying this computer be programming? Most certainly not. Will the average person buying an eMac be programming? Most certainly not. To add an $800 upgrade to the system for a piece of software that nobody buying that computer would use is ludicrous.

I don't mean to make this into a Mac vs. PC debate but that just isn't fair - the PC is an extremely good deal.

(and many windows developers might compare adding $800 to the PC because it doesnt have XCode to adding $1,199 for Adobe Premium Creative Suite to a Mac system because it doesn't come with paint :rolleyes:)

scem0

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It appears the next eMac upgrade will feature 1.6Ghz G5 processors. They've beat the crap out of the G4s, and it's time to retire this nearly 7 year old chip design.

Which means... the next PowerMac update will feature dual-cores. I'll eat my dirty gym socks if I am wrong.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
i thnk the next emac will have a 7448 not a G5 but i could be wrong. i believe the mac mini will also have that chip around the time the emac does....but that is a little ways off....

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Lacero said:
It appears the next eMac upgrade will feature 1.6Ghz G5 processors. They've beat the crap out of the G4s, and it's time to retire this nearly 7 year old chip design.

Which means... the next PowerMac update will feature dual-cores. I'll eat my dirty gym socks if I am wrong.

Sure, the G5 is better and faster, bla bla bla.

But first you should ask intel and AMD (and VIA) to retire their 20-years-old x86 designs. ;-)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The eMac has some VERY important advantages. No other machine has this combination, so it will stay in the lineup:

* All-in-one simplicity

* But much cheaper than iMac

* CRT durability - and flexible resolution options without losing quality

* Everything included--from keyboard to mic--unlike Mac Mini

* Higher specs than Mac Mini but lower than iMac--filling the $700 price gap between those lines

* Is what schools asked for (which is why it was made)

* Has proven popular with others too (which is why they stopped restricting it to schools)

For many people, a Mac Mini or an iMac is a better choice. But for many others, the eMac is the perfect option.

And when comparing to PCs, be sure to include Firewire, ethernet, speakers, CD burner, DVD player, and a real GPU with 64 MB VRAM. All found on the lowest eMac, but lacking in many bottom-end PCs. And to be fair, you really should factor in the value of iLife... vs. having to pay for virus/spyware protection under Windows :)

Every time I BTO the cheapest config I can at Dell, I end up in the $7-800 range before I can touch the Mac Mini--and that means no display. The eMac's in that price range but with BETTER specs than the mini--and a display and speakers.

I'd recommend the eMac in heartbeat to any computer shopper who didn't already have a display they planned on keeping. And to some others as well.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
cube said:
Fast mini + new 17" flat CRT: $700

eMac is not a good deal.

Yes, it is. The eMac is considerably more powerful than the mini based simply on the fact that the emac uses a "real" hard drive, not a laptop drive, not to mention the huge video card difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.