Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Did I miss an article or post about what new iOS 17 features for iPad specifically are or are there just none this time around?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Did I miss an article or post about what new iOS 17 features for iPad specifically are or are there just none this time around?
Some iPad Exclusive Features in iPadOS 17:
- Stage Manager enhancements that allow for more control over positioning of windows.
- New Health app for iPadOS.
- External webcam support.
- Lockscreen widgets for iPadOS. (One could argue that’s a carryover from iOS 16, but it really is implemented differently, and there is a size class of lockscreen widgets that’s exclusive to iPadOS.)
- Changes to right-click options for external drives in Files, including a Rename and Erase option.

And there’s probably more that I didn’t think of here.

Reactions: ScubaCinci

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Some iPad Exclusive Features in iPadOS 17:
- Stage Manager enhancements that allow for more control over positioning of windows.
- New Health app for iPadOS.
- External webcam support.
- Lockscreen widgets for iPadOS. (One could argue that’s a carryover from iOS 16, but it really is implemented differently, and there is a size class of lockscreen widgets that’s exclusive to iPadOS.)
- Changes to right-click options for external drives in Files, including a Rename and Erase option.

And there’s probably more that I didn’t think of here.
A.K.A...

Helpful feature
6+ versions late Carryover feature
Niche feature (accessory required)
Carryover feature

... :(

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
A.K.A...

Helpful feature
6+ versions late Carryover feature
Carryover feature

... :(
Or just helpful features. And webcam support isn’t really that niche, it’s very useful for a lot of people. I’m already tired of the complaints about this update not having enough “new features”. iPadOS 17 actually adds lots of nice tweaks and features, and runs smoother than iPadOS 16 did, and I never really had any problems with 16. Many people have reported better battery life with iPadOS 17, and I think that’s true in my case as well. Not every update can be a paradigm shifting thing. Sometimes you have to make smaller tweaks and improvements to the system as well. And I’d argue that some of these features are a lot bigger than some people give them credit for.

Reactions: JD2015

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Or just helpful features. And webcam support isn’t really that niche, it’s very useful for a lot of people. I’m already tired of the complaints about this update not having enough “new features”. iPadOS 17 actually adds lots of nice tweaks and features, and runs smoother than iPadOS 16 did, and I never really had any problems with 16. Many people have reported better battery life with iPadOS 17, and I think that’s true in my case as well. Not every update can be a paradigm shifting thing. Sometimes you have to make smaller tweaks and improvements to the system as well. And I’d argue that some of these features are a lot bigger than some people give them credit for.
I needed to complain about it so that anyone else who was about to complain about it loses incentive and gives up.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I needed to complain about it so that anyone else who was about to complain about it loses incentive and gives up.
Good one, lol! 👍🏻😂🤣. I understand it’s a smaller update, but I think that’s good every so often, and I’m really thinking 2024 will be a big year for the iPad and iPadOS. 👍🏻

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Are there any new features that are also only specifically for the M series iPads?

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
My favorite: with physical keyboard, finally long press brings up alternative letter variation menu, e.g. à á â ä ǎ æ ã å ā just like Mac.

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.