Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
So, we now have new iBooks and PowerBooks, and new eMacs last week.
Does this mean new iMacs and PowerMacs soon - like next week?

Anybody know???

Marko

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
markoibook said:

Anybody know???

Marko
I would not be surprised if the iMacs were updated soon, but I am not expecting updates to the PowerMacs until WWDC; I'd be pleasantly surprised if Apple updated them earlier. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance we'll see a G5 iMac with the next update, increasing to 80/20 if the iMacs are updated after the PowerMacs or at the same time as the PowerMacs.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
I saw a rumour recently that the Powermacs will be updated to all dual G5, with base model 2.2Ghz, then 2.4 and 2.6 at the top.
What is the likely hood of this?
And if apple do update the whole range to dual G5s, is the price of the base model likely to increase??

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
markoibook said:
I saw a rumour recently that the Powermacs will be updated to all dual G5, with base model 2.2Ghz, then 2.4 and 2.6 at the top.
What is the likely hood of this?
And if apple do update the whole range to dual G5s, is the price of the base model likely to increase??
Here's my predictions:
Likelyhood of all dual rev B PowerMac G5's: Fairly unlikely (30/70)
Likelyhood of low-end price increase if all dual: Very likely (90/10)

Gianrico

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2002
Capua - Italy
markoibook said:

Anybody know???

Marko

I'm still waiting the new G5 line too....

I hope to see them wery soon

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The sad thing is the 1.5 GHz G4 - if they put it in the PowerBook, it probably means it will be in the iMac. :(

I'd love to see single G5s in the iMacs and all Dual G5s in the Powermacs.....I don't think that's going to happen now...

D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mr. Anderson said:
The sad thing is the 1.5 GHz G4 - if they put it in the PowerBook, it probably means it will be in the iMac. :(

I'd love to see single G5s in the iMacs and all Dual G5s in the Powermacs.....I don't think that's going to happen now...

D
I agree with you that the scenario you described probably won't happen with the next update, but I can foresee that happening in a future update - I just can't tell you which one.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
My guess is new iMacs G4 tomorrow (they didn't release the Books on a Monday just for fun, did they?) or on April 27. PMs at WWDC.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Zaty said:
My guess is new iMacs G4 tomorrow (they didn't release the Books on a Monday just for fun, did they?) or on April 27. PMs at WWDC.
Actually they released them on Monday, so they could have them out at NAB.

I wouldn't expect another hardware announcement until next week. Although next week probably has 1 year anniversary of Itunes Music Store announcement. So we might only see iTunes/iPod related announcements next week.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
I agree that the updated iMacs will probably be G4.
Is it possible for the G4 to run at higher than 1.5GHz though? Because bumping the iMac to 1.5Ghz when the eMac is at 1.25GHz IMO still does not make the iMac that much better than the eMac. I think that the eMac seems to be a great machine for the money, so maybe the iMac will see a radical change.

And of course, we all must remember that the eMac now has the fastest superdrive (8x) - surely that can't be allowed to go on for much longer? ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
markoibook said:
And of course, we all must remember that the eMac now has the fastest superdrive (8x) - surely that can't be allowed to go on for much longer? ;)

The new iMacs will most likely have that superdrive....its just so painful knowing that the G5s will show up in the iMac eventually, but it will be a long wait.....

Bleh!

D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
markoibook said:
I agree that the updated iMacs will probably be G4.
Is it possible for the G4 to run at higher than 1.5GHz though? Because bumping the iMac to 1.5Ghz when the eMac is at 1.25GHz IMO still does not make the iMac that much better than the eMac. I think that the eMac seems to be a great machine for the money, so maybe the iMac will see a radical change.

There has been no indication of a Motorola 7447 or 7457 variant that is clocker faster than 1.5GHz (with a 166MHz bus) yet.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Bear said:

I wouldn't expect another hardware announcement until next week. Although next week probably has 1 year anniversary of Itunes Music Store announcement. So we might only see iTunes/iPod related announcements next week.

I guess you missed my point. As we all know, Apple usually releases new hardware on Tuesdays, (okay there were exception such as the last iBook release that happened on a Wednesday), so why did they choose to release the portables today rather than tomorrow? They might have reasons that don't have anything with further updates this week. But there is still a chance there's more coming tomorrow or on Wednesday b/c the reason for the Monday release could be that Apple didn't want to announce everything at once, which would make perfectly sense to me.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Zaty said:
I guess you missed my point. As we all know, Apple usually releases new hardware on Tuesdays, (okay there were exception such as the last iBook release that happened on a Wednesday), so why did they choose to release the portables today rather than tomorrow? They might have reasons that don't have anything with further updates this week. But there is still a chance there's more coming tomorrow or on Wednesday b/c the reason for the Monday release could be that Apple didn't want to announce everything at once, which would make perfectly sense to me.
And I think you missed where I said:
Bear said:
The NAB show is happening this week. The exhibit hall is open today thru later in the week.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Careful, this bear has claws.

Bear said:
And I think you missed where I said:
The NAB show is happing this week. The exhibit hall is open today thru later in the week.

And it ain't afraid to use them. Just agree with everything the bear says, back away slowly from your Mac and everything will be fine.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wrldwzrd89 said:
I would not be surprised if the iMacs were updated soon, but I am not expecting updates to the PowerMacs until WWDC; I'd be pleasantly surprised if Apple updated them earlier. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance we'll see a G5 iMac with the next update, increasing to 80/20 if the iMacs are updated after the PowerMacs or at the same time as the PowerMacs.

Seems about right. In any case anyone would be taking a big risk buying an iMac now in light of the emac and these updates...unless of course they absoluetly need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.