Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I finally got my new iMac today and couldn't be happier so far!!

I got the 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo, everything else standard with the computer...4 GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, nVidia GT 120, etc.

It took forever to transfer all of my information from my iMac G5. Took a total of about three hours, over an ethernet cable. The router I was using was only 100 base, so I'm sure that the 1000 base would have made things go much more quickly.

I did run into a bit of a problem with the Migration Assistant. It kept locking up, but it appeared to be locking up on my iMac G5, so I'm not sure what the deal was. It's all good though, because it looks like everything has been transfered without any hitches.

The display on this iMac is absolutely amazing. Perfectly clear and vibrant colors. I couldn't be happier with it.

Haven't played any games yet, plan on doing that in just a few minutes to see what the GPU is like. I'm sure it will be leaps and bounds better than what I upgraded from.

That's all for now. Might post some impressions later for those that care to read :)

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Congrats!!!

I love my iMac!! :)

Yep, been a long time Mac user, was just time to do an upgrade as my G5 was steadily showing signs of not being able to keep up with the latest and greatest.

schaaf

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2005
Well if you think yours is slow, Im coming from a 1.25GHz G4 512 RAM. SO. SLOW. Its painful some times. I want that same configuration, but Im not sure if upgrading the graphics in it to the GT 130 is worth it. Im going to be running aperture, photoshop and maybe lghtroom too. NO games for me, so if your gaming performance is good, it should work fine with aperture, PS and LR.

Let us know how it turns out!

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
That's nice. I wish it was me posting. Gonna need more $ to have mine.

PS. update your signature ;)

amelsen

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009

QFT =) hehehe

I'm waiting on an iMac myself... same configuration, except for the graphics card.. I ordered mine with the 4850 card....

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003

I was approved for the 0% financing, so that is why I decided to do it now. Lucky timing to get the new iMac at 0%

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Well if you think yours is slow, Im coming from a 1.25GHz G4 512 RAM. SO. SLOW. Its painful some times. I want that same configuration, but Im not sure if upgrading the graphics in it to the GT 130 is worth it. Im going to be running aperture, photoshop and maybe lghtroom too. NO games for me, so if your gaming performance is good, it should work fine with aperture, PS and LR.

Let us know how it turns out!

Yep, that would be an even bigger jump. I was running into compatibility issues (as I'm sure you are since your iMac is PowerPC as well). I just didn't want to deal with it any longer. So many things that I want to do on my computer that I couldn't do anymore since PowerPC is dwindling in support.

fat daddy

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
same

Hello..

Yes, I bought the same one. 2.93, no changes. Got it from the Apple Store. Its my first mac and so far so good. No issues. No freezing, no dead/stuck pixels ( knock on wood ). The display is pretty much even across the whole thing. I am loving the whole apple thing, went out and bought a iPod. I think Steve will be getting a lot of my money in years to come. Thanks.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hello..

Yes, I bought the same one. 2.93, no changes. Got it from the Apple Store. Its my first mac and so far so good. No issues. No freezing, no dead/stuck pixels ( knock on wood ). The display is pretty much even across the whole thing. I am loving the whole apple thing, went out and bought a iPod. I think Steve will be getting a lot of my money in years to come. Thanks.

Congrats on your purchase!!

I've been enjoying iWeb the past couple days, annoying my friends with new pictures and my blogging :)

fat daddy

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
hello again

Hello.

Thank you, congrats on yours as well. I would like to hear more about your experience. So far mine is great. I made a iWeb thing as well. Blogging for the first time. I have already talked one guy at work into buying a mac. Ok, it wasn't too hard to change his mind. So he now has a new macbook. Anyways, take care...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.