Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'd prefer them to have dual drives standard, a SSD and a HDD.

I agree. For both the iMac and Mac Mini they need to switch to decent, sandforce based SATA 6/Gbs SSDs with a price-slash that reflects the 50p GB they are to consumers these days.

If they made more of the iMac user upgradable by putting the drives in user removable panels or sleds on the sides of the system, it would be a welcome addition too.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
so the lack of an ambient light sensor is your big proof of form not following function? really?

because i have a better counter argument that the device's form IS following function -- i want thin and light devices. devices i can barely tell are in my pocket. the thinner and lighter the better....ideal would be a translucent piece of plastic the thickness of a business card and made of unbreakable plasteel.

the primary properties of this device are thinness and weight, not light sensing ability. thus, making a portable device thin and light, at the expense of the ambient light sensor (only missing "feature") is a welcome sacrifice....and is form following function.

This is a stupid internet argument. You are way too hyped up about this.

lukasz74nj

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
The iMac could potentially see up to 32 GB of RAM, although that assumes the machine will continue to offer four slots as on the current models.

It would be a very bad idea if the maximum RAM is reduced from 32 GB to 16 GB. FCPX needs more than just 16 GB to be usable when editing more complex projects. I upgraded from 16 GB to 32 GB my 2011 iMac and it has been working fine so far.

Apple should first fix existing issues, such as grey smudges on the screens (this issue is caused by heat and inadequate ventilation, and it will get even worse with slimmer models), replace reflexive screens with matte, and make it possible to connect non-Apple devices via a Display Port to Thunderbolt-enabled models.

Juzo Fuwa

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Same here. I had my eye on a couple of sweet little numbers in Apple's refurb store. But this is what I've been waiting for so I'm gassed to see what Apple's gonna drop next week. Only a few more days...

:D:D:D:D

This is perfect timing, I was just looking for cheap refurbished Mac minis on eBay the past few days. Bring on the updated Macs! :D

----------

Is Apple going to make a new thinner desk for my new thinner iMac? Is there not some point at which thin is thin enough? Do I really WANT an anorexic iMac? Won't that be a bad example to my teenaged daughter?

With all of those existential question out of the way, I just have to say, the current iMac is thin enough. I'm not trying to balance my desktop on the edge of a needle, I want it to just work. Worried about so much heat in such a thin place. Just sayin'...

Now, my new iMac please, sir?

LOL, nice one :D.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
What difference does how thin/how light a DESKTOP system is?? It sits on a desk and the desk is not going to be relieved that the computer is lighter. We need to keep all the various drives that are currently on the iMac.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This is a stupid internet argument. You are way too hyped up about this.

uh huh. nice logic come-back...i present reasons why apple's design for this product makes certain decisions based on the primary attributes and job of the device, in effect form following its function, and you basically say "WHY U MAD, BRO!"

riiight. let me know when you have a good counter-argument that supports the assertion made that apple is not designing w/ a form-follows-function mindset on the ipod touch. all ears.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
uh huh. nice logic come-back...i present reasons why apple's design for this product makes certain decisions based on the primary attributes and job of the device, in effect form following its function, and you basically say "WHY U MAD, BRO!"

riiight. let me know when you have a good counter-argument that supports the assertion made that apple is not designing w/ a form-follows-function mindset on the ipod touch. all ears.
Well, you did move the goal post by starting out with yapping about the iPod touch. He talked about Apple's "recent emphasis on form over function" which is a broader discussion about more than one product. This is about Apple's anorexia in general and the iMac in particular, since it's an iMac/Mac Mini thread.

The first Intel iMacs used laptop CPUs because Apple didn't manage to fit desktop grade processors in what's supposedly a desktop computer. They have since managed, but the iMac is still crippled in many ways and gets is butt utterly destroyed by any 3 year old Mac Pro in terms of performance. Performance is the whole point of a desktop computer -- it's tethered to a desk but makes up for it by doing stuff that a laptop can't muster, and it's (usually) easy to expand and upgrade.
If you make a desktop computer with laptop components you get the worst of both worlds -- the performance of a laptop on a non-mobile computer.
Yes, a case can be made for the functional advantages of a slick all-in-one that's barely thicker than a monitor. But to make it even thinner? I'd like to see anyone have a go at explaining how this is function over form in the iMac's case. Is the current one too fat for those new oh-so-popular IKEA desks that are 3 inches deep? Oh, wait, those don't exist. Making the iMac thinner than it already is requires yet more compromises in terms of cooling, performance, expandability, repairability... and for what? For making the crowd go 'ooooh'. That's all it does. You could accomplish the same by throwing those monkeys some bananas.

Then there's the Magic Mouse. A mouse that's flat like a stingray isn't function over form. Many people including myself find the Magic Mouse awkward to hold and some even get hand pain. It was just made that way to look stylish. Jony Ive wiped his butt with Ergonomics 101 and that was that.

Running a wireless desktop mouse on AA batteries is straight out of the 1990's, most mouse manufacturers moved on to rechargeable desktop mice ages ago. It requires a connector on the mouse (Logitech uses micro-USB) and the mere thought of such, er, revolting and vile "clutter" would have Jony ive bawling his eyes out and threatening to kill himself. His wet dream is probably a Magic Mouse 2 that's disposable, with two superglued alkaline AA batteries inside and no battery door. You have to throw the whole thing away when it runs out of juice. But the bottom which you never see would be perfectly flush... and I'm sure Ive would have something poetic and tearful to say about that in one of those white background videos.

Now, when Phil Schiller was asked why iPhones don't have wireless recharging, he rejected the idea because "Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated”. He went on to note that "the widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said".
Well, hate to break it to ya Phil, but the Apple battery charger for keyboards/trackpads/mice is precisely that -- another device that you have to plug into the wall, and you have to open the devices and remove the batteries first. Meanwhile, the widely-adopted USB cord that Logitech uses for recharging mice like the Performance MX, lets you plug it into a computer. All you need is that cord, and the mouse works while it's charging.

Last edited:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Another example of form over function is slot loading optical drives on Mac Pro. Those drives are slower than regular ones with trays. On a laptop it serves a function because it allows you make the device more compact, but on a damn minitower computer that could host all seven dwarves AND Snow White inside, space isn't an issue.
They are tray loading on the Mac Pro. (Since the PowerPC 60x days from memory.) You might need to remove the tray bezel from a stock drive bought elsewhere. Back in the PowerPC days, at worst you might need to get an identical OEM drive to be compatible.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
They are tray loading on the Mac Pro. (Since the PowerPC 60x days from memory.) You might need to remove the tray bezel from a stock drive bought elsewhere. Back in the PowerPC days, at worst you might need to get an identical OEM drive to be compatible.
OK, paragraph deleted. Someone said the exact opposite on here the other day, I must stop trusting humans and stick with computers. ;)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Seems to me like Apple have established a guideline as to what we can expect re the introduction of new technologies. If you look at the Retina screen adoption it's been: the iPhone first followed by the iPad and MBP the next year and then the year after that by the iMac and MBA with the Mac Mini and Mac Pro slotted in sometime down the road.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I don't want them to do a retina screen unless they are willing to put a pair of GPUs in SLI/Crossfire with a decent amount of Video Ram (say 2GB on the 21.5 and 4gb on the 27") to drive that many pixels. Already seen how the macbook pro with retina stutters on occasion, put me off buying a retina display until they have the graphics ooomph to drive them.

Agreed. Also, personally, I would like to see the 'chin-less' design of the TB display, with a stand that would allow for raising/lowering the screen, not just tilting. There seems to be little point in making the iMac any thinner. As for me, RETINA can wait a year or two when those displays are cheaper and more readily available, and graphics cards have evolved to the point where they can do those displays true justice, i.e. no lag or stuttering.

While they're at it, make those 21.5 inchers 24", and the 27" displays 30".

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You can currently buy 3rd party 8GB modules for these, you just can't get them as a BTO option from Apple.

It means nothing. All it means is Apple will now offer 8GB modules in the build-to-order configuration. If you want to put 8GB modules in your MacBook Pro, then go buy some. You can put four 8GB modules in a current model 27" iMac too - it has nothing to do with "supported configuration" It's about availability at the time the model was released.

I understand that third-party 8GB options are available. That's not what I'm asking. Apple currently only supports (by this I mean they will only provide service to non-retina unibody MacBook Pros with) a maximum of 8GB of RAM. That's to say that if I stuck in 16GB, of RAM an idiot at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or an Apple Store Genius Bar can, if they so choose, be lazy and attribute my hypothetical problem to having an unsupported amount of RAM in my machine and tell me to remove said RAM in order to see if the problem goes away. My question is merely, will they change that policy to allow 16GB on those machines (presumably in addition to offering that CTO option on their online store for those machines), do you think? Or is this something that will only be in effect for said new iMacs and Mac minis?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Seems to me like Apple have established a guideline as to what we can expect re the introduction of new technologies. If you look at the Retina screen adoption it's been: the iPhone first followed by the iPad and MBP the next year and then the year after that by the iMac and MBA with the Mac Mini and Mac Pro slotted in sometime down the road.
More like: Apple went to their suppliers and said we're going to sell a gazillion iPhones and iPads, what kind of deal can you get us on a gazillion ultra hi-res panels? It's just two one size fits all panels, one for the iPhone/iPod touch, one for the iPad. You can practically convert your entire factory to iPad/iPhone Retina panel manufacturing, you'll be making that many of them.
Then Apple got a sweet deal and perhaps took a slight margin hit (and by 'hit' I mean they took it down a notch from insane profit margin to just borderline insane). And from the outside they made it look like Retina displays are a cheap commodity now, they grow on trees and you can harvest mountains of them. Expect them to appear on all our products, like, tomorrow, without any price hike.

iOS devices make up 76% of Apple's revenue. Macs on the other hand only make up 13%. iPhone 5 sold 5 million in its first weekend. That's more than all Macs combined sell in one quarter (Q3 2012 = 4 million Macs). And they are not one-size-fits-all in terms of panel size. There's 11", 13", 15", 21.5" and 27". Apple can not use sheer volume to push the envelope here. They'll have to pay a premium for these panels until they come down in price. What they can do is offer expensive Retina models of the flagship line, MBP, where they can pass the premium cost on to the customer... but midrange ones like MBA and iMac will have to wait.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone????

You're actually serious about that?

----------

What do you think the odds are they'll run Snow Leopard???

Infinity to one. Odds are they won't even run Lion, let alone anything earlier. They likely also won't be able to stably run versions of Mountain Lion preceding 10.8.2. The rule of thumb is usually that the oldest version of Mac OS X that you can run on a computer is the one that it shipped to you from the factory with.

Jamiednm

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
While they're at it, make those 21.5 inchers 24", and the 27" displays 30".

Screw that! I don't want a 30" system on my desk! 27" is perfect - if you need an extra 3" of screen space then you must be doing some RIDICULOUS multitasking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.