Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
im going to be getting a new iMac halfway through june. this is the first ever mac i will own, but have used them before.

i was just wondering what applications people would recommend. i need to install windows as i have got steam games that ownly work on windows, and also web design and photography programs for windows. is it possible to run the programs as an app through windows in parrallel, but with out actually starting up windows.... is boot camp enough, should i get VMWare/parrallels?

also if there are any cool apps which would make a mac even more interesting. im planning on getting iWork since i will need it at uni. also are there any programs which let you stream content to a PS3 from a mac
carlos

acxz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
You won't be able to play games well at all through Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox, or any other virtualisation software, because graphics drivers can not be loaded on a virtual workstation; you can't even get Aero in Vista to work because your graphics will be rated 1.0. You will need to install Windows onto your hard drive through Boot Camp and boot into it when you want to use your Windows-only applications and games.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Why

Why are you running games, web design and photography apps through windows? If you're running more than games, wouldn't it make sense to get a PC?

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
because i dont really play a huge amount of games on PC, i have a ps3 and i use that mostly. the other apps i may just get for the mac anyway, but its just incase i wanted to play them. but the main reason is that i am fed up of that thing that is called an operating system. XP is ok but vista is awful, its rubbish from what i have used. and i have actually bought a vista machine, im not just being prejudice like half the people who just have stupid statements. so i decided to install XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.