Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJBuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Okay, I need some help buying an iMac, and since I have always been a Windows guy, I need some help:

1. I have read about the impending release of the new OS - with Windows, the changes are fairly significant, at least enough so that one would want to wait. Has that generally been the case with Apple products? If I buy today, will I immediately regret not waiting once I see the new and improved OS? The bad thing is that nobody knows when Leopard will come out; I want to buy today!!

2. The iMac (probably the 20" version) will be for family use (word processing, internet surfing, email, iPod, pictures, some simple video editing...) - can I expect to be pleased with the out-of-the-box version for some time, or are there upgrades that I should order immediately? My buying philosophy is to buy a higher end machine today, with the plan to let my kids use it for 3+ years before buying the latest and greatest upgrade. Given my uses of the iMac, will my plan work, or should I upgrade? My current Dell machine is 5 years old, and still runs fine. It is nice to not have to worry about a new machine every year or so...and I want this purchase to be similar.

Thanks in advance - this forum is FANTASTIC!!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Mac OS X 10.5 (aka Leopard should be released some time between now and some time in spring. You can always upgrade to Leopard later (albeit for an additional charge). :)

The 20" iMac with the stock 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo processor will work quite nicely for you. The only upgrade that I strongly recommend would be to boost the RAM to 2GB. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.