Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
So do you think a totally new iMac will be released at MacWorld like the rumor said or do you think the 20inch was the new iMac?

I will be buying my first Mac after Christmas and just wanted to know what the pros thought. Wish I could make a poll.

Squirrelly

Apple Computer Inc. engineers are hands-deep into the next major revision of the personal computer that put them back on the map in the late 1990's. According to sources, the computer maker is entering the latter development stages of the third major overhaul to its iMac product line.

The transition to the next-generation models will be reminiscent of the move from the bubble-like CRT machines to the current adjustable flat-screen units, as the new iMacs will sport an 'entirely new form-factor.' Beyond these vague details, little else is known at this time.

AppleInsider sources claim that the company is targeting the 3rd Generation iMacs for a release early next Spring, though one unconfirmed report states that the units may make their debut as early as this coming January. "Ideally, [Apple] would like to make a splash of excitement with these machines during the opening to next year's Macworld San Francisco Expo, though it is too early to tell if that will actually be plausible."

The iMac is widely rumored to adopt IBM's PowerPC G5 microprocessor once ample supplies and effective pricing of the chips allow for competitive marketing of the such computers. Meanwhile, the company is focusing on other aspects of its revenue stream, prepping new iBooks, XServes, XServe RAIDs and Cinema Displays for a release by December.

The last major revision to the iMac product-line took place in January 2002.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I dont know if an upgrade to a monitor size is considered as a MAJOR upgrade...
Isn't a major upgrade like a processor or a shape/design change? .... mmm...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I think the Imac G5 is just around the corner. It will be introduced after the powermacs get faster G5's and probably after the G5 Xserve is introduced. The Imac G5 will probably have the processorrange that is currently in the powermacs. Probably the G5's in the Imac will not be the same processor, but a lower power/less heat version. I would probably wait a couple of months!

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Re: New iMac??

Originally posted by squirrellydw
So do you think a totally new iMac will be released at MacWorld like the rumor said or do you think the 20inch was the new iMac?

I will be buying my first Mac after Christmas and just wanted to know what the pros thought. Wish I could make a poll.

Squirrelly

Apple Computer Inc. engineers are hands-deep into the next major revision of the personal computer that put them back on the map in the late 1990's. According to sources, the computer maker is entering the latter development stages of the third major overhaul to its iMac product line.

The transition to the next-generation models will be reminiscent of the move from the bubble-like CRT machines to the current adjustable flat-screen units, as the new iMacs will sport an 'entirely new form-factor.' Beyond these vague details, little else is known at this time.

AppleInsider sources claim that the company is targeting the 3rd Generation iMacs for a release early next Spring, though one unconfirmed report states that the units may make their debut as early as this coming January. "Ideally, [Apple] would like to make a splash of excitement with these machines during the opening to next year's Macworld San Francisco Expo, though it is too early to tell if that will actually be plausible."

The iMac is widely rumored to adopt IBM's PowerPC G5 microprocessor once ample supplies and effective pricing of the chips allow for competitive marketing of the such computers. Meanwhile, the company is focusing on other aspects of its revenue stream, prepping new iBooks, XServes, XServe RAIDs and Cinema Displays for a release by December.

The last major revision to the iMac product-line took place in January 2002.

Where did you get that from?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
For what it's worth, I just ordered my 17" G4 iMac. ;) It's really too hard to say when the next major revision of the iMac will happen, so I decided not to play the waiting game. You can always wait for the next best thing, but if you do, you'll always be waiting. Although a G5 would be nice to have, this G4 will do everything I need it to, and more, for the next 2-3 years at least, so regardless of what comes out in the near future, I'm going to be happy with my purchase.

Personally though, I think there are a couple things due before a G5 iMac (although I could be wrong). xServes are definitely due, as I don't think they would stick a G5 in a consumer line before a pro machine like the xServe! So, the xServes should be next to get the G5 if anything, and I'm thinking this will be at MWSF. Also, the LCDs are due for an update. And in general, I think they need to be closer to putting a G5 in the PowerBook before they put it in the iMac - again, having the consumer line updated before the pro line might make some people complain if the PowerBooks don't follow quickly thereafter. ;)

If a G5 iMac is announced at MWSF, it won't be shipping for another 2 months after that. Otherwise, it probably won't be announced until early spring. In any case, you have to make the same deciison I made - buy now, or wait another 4 months? For me, I just want to start enjoying my Mac right now. :)

Just my $0.02 :cool:

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by ~Shard~
For what it's worth, I just ordered my 17" G4 iMac. ;) It's really too hard to say when the next major revision of the iMac will happen, so I decided not to play the waiting game. You can always wait for the next best thing, but if you do, you'll always be waiting. Although a G5 would be nice to have, this G4 will do everything I need it to, and more, for the next 2-3 years at least, so regardless of what comes out in the near future, I'm going to be happy with my purchase.

Personally though, I think there are a couple things due before a G5 iMac (although I could be wrong). xServes are definitely due, as I don't think they would stick a G5 in a consumer line before a pro machine like the xServe! So, the xServes should be next to get the G5 if anything, and I'm thinking this will be at MWSF. Also, the LCDs are due for an update. And in general, I think they need to be closer to putting a G5 in the PowerBook before they put it in the iMac - again, having the consumer line updated before the pro line might make some people complain if the PowerBooks don't follow quickly thereafter. ;)

If a G5 iMac is announced at MWSF, it won't be shipping for another 2 months after that. Otherwise, it probably won't be announced until early spring. In any case, you have to make the same deciison I made - buy now, or wait another 4 months? For me, I just want to start enjoying my Mac right now. :)

Just my $0.02 :cool:

Yeah, I'd say 17" imac is a good choice if you are not gonna do anything heavy. I think it's a right deceision, since i doubt G5 imacs will be introduced and you obviously dont need that much power right now since otherwise you'd look for powermacs.
I like the idea of 20" imacs, but i have to take a look at it in person to tell my impression. One one hand, it's compact with huge high res deisplay. On other hand though, 2k+ is the same as getting 1.6 G5 and 17" studio display, which will be much faster....

I have 1.8 G5 right now, and now that i think of it, it's been fast and good and still is. In addition, I'll get a 12" ibook for mobility though next year probably...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Rezet
I like the idea of 20" imacs, but i have to take a look at it in person to tell my impression. One one hand, it's compact with huge high res deisplay. On other hand though, 2k+ is the same as getting 1.6 G5 and 17" studio display, which will be much faster....

Yah, I agree with you Rezet - I like the idea of a 20" iMac as well, but due to the cost, you could essentially pick up a 1.6 G5 for the same cost. I also don't like the idea of having an amazing 20" LCD attached to a non-top-of-the-line machine. For some people who might want to ditch their older G4 iMacs in a couple years, it would suck to have to essentially throw out a perfectly fine 20" LCD along with it!

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Mac World

I think they will announce a new iMac at Mac World. G5 maybe maybe not but I think it will be in an iMac before the powerbook simply because of technology. Right now its to big and to hot to fit in a powerbook. Just my 2cents

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Mac World

Originally posted by squirrellydw
I think they will announce a new iMac at Mac World. G5 maybe maybe not but I think it will be in an iMac before the powerbook simply because of technology. Right now its to big and to hot to fit in a powerbook. Just my 2cents

If we see a new iMac at MWSF, it will still be a G4. I think it is too soon to have a G5 in the iMac when the chips did not come out that long ago (relatively) in the PowerMacs. I think Apple needs to be closer to putting a G5 in the PowerBook before they put one in the iMac, otherwise Pro users will complain. I'm not saying the PBs need ot get the G5 first, before the iMac, but just be closer.

So, I could see some more speed bumps (1.33 GHz?), and perhaps a couple other little modifications, but nothing major. I guess the question then would be, will we see a new iMac form factor as well, or will Jobs save that for the spring when the G5 iMacs might come out, to re-invent the iMac with a new design and a new chip.

I still see the xServes and LCDs being updated before the iMacs though – they are far overdue! So if those are announced at MWSF, I wonder how many other updates would be announced? Jobs doesn’t want to give everything away at once, I’m sure.

Only time will tell!

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
iPod battery replacement strategy

Yah, I agree with you Rezet - I like the idea of a 20" iMac as well, but due to the cost, you could essentially pick up a 1.6 G5 for the same cost. I also don't like the idea of having an amazing 20" LCD attached to a non-top-of-the-line machine. For some people who might want to ditch their older G4 iMacs in a couple years, it would suck to have to essentially throw out a perfectly fine 20" LCD along with it!

or Apple will offer a buy/replacement option i.e. you buy a new iMac without the screen plus pay say $150 for apple to take your old iMac LCD screen and place them on your new iMac. You can send them in or better still, give them to your local Apple store or dealer.

Maybe it is easier than we think. They may offer a do it yourself kit. Although this makes no business sense from Apple perspective.:D

-Chomo

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: iPod battery replacement strategy

Originally posted by Chomolungma
or Apple will offer a buy/replacement option i.e. you buy a new iMac without the screen plus pay say $150 for apple to take your old iMac LCD screen and place them on your new iMac. You can send them in or better still, give them to your local Apple store or dealer.

Maybe it is easier than we think. They may offer a do it yourself kit. Although this makes no business sense from Apple perspective.:D

-Chomo

I was going to challenge what you were saying until I read your last couple lines, so now I agree with you. ;) Yes, I do think it is easier than we think, and I don't see Apple offering a DIY kit. Things like this would be cool, but I just don't see it happening.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
For some people who might want to ditch their older G4 iMacs in a couple years, it would suck to have to essentially throw out a perfectly fine 20" LCD along with it!

And why would you throw it out? There's a healthy market for used macs. They have surprisingly good resale value. I'm guessing that you'll have no problem selling that 20" iMac in a couple of years (especially if the whole iMac line is revamped in January, essentially making the current 20" a 'limited edition').

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Flowbee
And why would you throw it out? There's a healthy market for used macs. They have surprisingly good resale value. I'm guessing that you'll have no problem selling that 20" iMac in a couple of years (especially if the whole iMac line is revamped in January, essentially making the current 20" a 'limited edition').

Very true. I guess I was more thinking of not using the system anymore, whether it's "throwing it away" (I guess I didn't mean that literally!) or simply selling it. It's just that some people might find it harder to sell, (or whatever they do), their G4 iMac when it has a perfectly great 20" LCD on it, even though they really need new hardware. But yes I agree, Macs have very good resell value, so there shouldn't be any troubles at all of reselling them in a couple years.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I don't think we'll be seeing new iMacs, or even iMac updates. Why would Apple introduce the 20" iMac, only to have it out for two months before being replaced? Doesn't make sense.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
same reason

Why would Apple release a 1.8 G5 and then discontinue it after 2 months?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I don't think we'll be seeing new iMacs, or even iMac updates. Why would Apple introduce the 20" iMac, only to have it out for two months before being replaced? Doesn't make sense.

To help boost Christmas sales, perhaps?

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by MoparShaha

Sure it does. The only thing new is the casing for the 20" display. The base is the same as the 17". The tooling for the 20" did not cost all that much. They will get their money back and then some in that timeframe.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: Re: Mac World

If we see a new iMac at MWSF, it will still be a G4. I think it is too soon to have a G5 in the iMac when the chips did not come out that long ago (relatively) in the PowerMacs. I think Apple needs to be closer to putting a G5 in the PowerBook before they put one in the iMac, otherwise Pro users will complain. I'm not saying the PBs need ot get the G5 first, before the iMac, but just be closer.

So, I could see some more speed bumps (1.33 GHz?), and perhaps a couple other little modifications, but nothing major. I guess the question then would be, will we see a new iMac form factor as well, or will Jobs save that for the spring when the G5 iMacs might come out, to re-invent the iMac with a new design and a new chip.

I still see the xServes and LCDs being updated before the iMacs though – they are far overdue! So if those are announced at MWSF, I wonder how many other updates would be announced? Jobs doesn’t want to give everything away at once, I’m sure.

Only time will tell!

It is probably safe to assume that if a new iMac comes out, it will not have the 7455/7457 processor in it. If it did, why redesign the whole system only to keep the processor? It would hardly be an upgrade to the existing machines. They have their choice of three potential processors, the G5 or the yet to be named processor from Motorola’s former semiconductor unit, a dual core 7457 or possibly another IBM PowerPC processor with Alitivec,

Apple could either move everything over to IBM or continue with using both suppliers.

Apple can be very good at keeping things a secret. For all we know, they could announce fasters G5's, G5 PB's and G5 power iMacs in January and leave the iBook and eMac on the G4; for now.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
remember apple hasnt changed the base, who knows maybe they needed to sell more bases so putting a bigger screen was a way to do it, anyways G4 is going nowhere and imac is do for a major revision after all they havent done a thing to it in how long? the G4 has ran out of steam a long time ago but if you are going to plop 2 grand down dont you want something that isnt obsolete as you walk out the store? Moto has been stuck at 1 gig for how long? they couldnt even make the 20 inch a 1.33g4? the writing is on the wall but it could take as long as March before we see anything. i would advise wait or get a g4 tower or emac if you have to have a g4, but g5's are coming and apple wont do anything until after the holidays. i am expecting a new emac and new imac this next year.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
anyways G4 is going nowhere and imac is do for a major revision after all they havent done a thing to it in how long? i am expecting a new emac and new imac this next year.

Sure it is, it's going away. The dual core version would be nice though. Even better would be a dual processor with dual cores.

I am not sure on the eMac though. They could keep it on the G4 as well as the iBook, but maybe speed bumps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.