Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
I was hopping for some improvement with iOS14 in the severely limited Files app. I have several files and it is a frustration every time I use my iPhone or iPad to interact with them. Apple is an $1trillion company and it seems they cannot allocate some engineers to work and provide us with some basic file organization features. To be more specific:
1) still unable to make Alias on iOS. If you want a file on more than one folders, you have to make duplicate copies. Ok, but how about tagging the files? Wouldn't that solve the problem? and that question takes us to #2
2) if you have a long list of tags and you want to add one of them to a file, then you have to scrollllllll all the way through your tags to find the one you need. In Mac, you have a search and autofill function. Therefore, you can easily find the tag you are looking for and add it. This function is missing in iOS.
3) If you want to save a file and you try to rename it with a name that contains a colon :)) then the process stops. There is no automatic way to remove the colon prior to saving the file. Therefore you end up wasting time trying to locate the colon in the name and delete it. I have developed a simple shortcut to face the problem, but there should have been a native solution instead of forcing us to improvise
4) Shortcut app does not work with files outside Shortcuts folder
5) Shortcut app cannot search for files inside folders, not even inside Shortcuts folder, so limited functionality
6) save to files uses a machine learning algorithm t find the most appropriate folder to suggest. However, if you have many folders, this process can be extremely lengthy (>10s)

If you have found any solutions or alternative actions for the above, please let me know

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
2) if you have a long list of tags and you want to add one of them to a file, then you have to scrollllllll all the way through your tags to find the one you need. In Mac, you have a search and autofill function. Therefore, you can easily find the tag you are looking for and add it. This function is missing in iOS.

You can use the Search of the files app to search tags.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
You can use the Search of the files app to search tags.

no, I am talking about that when you tag a file, there is no search function to easily find the tag you are looking for. You have to scroll down through your tag list to find the one you want to use.

If you have 5-10 tags, then this is fine, but for hundreds of tags, this is not working
[automerge]1594681929[/automerge]
These are decent observations. I’d cut and paste all that into the Feedback app. And tone down the language of course. But your premises are sound.
you are right about toning down, but please understand my frustration for my wasted hours by using the inefficient Files app. Apple can do so much better than that.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
no, I am talking about that when you tag a file, there is no search function to easily find the tag you are looking for. You have to scroll down through your tag list to find the one you want to use.

If you have 5-10 tags, then this is fine, but for hundreds of tags, this is not working
[automerge]1594681929[/automerge]

you are right about toning down, but please understand my frustration for my wasted hours by using the inefficient Files app. Apple can do so much better than that.
actually, I apologize - I read it again and what you wrote doesn't need toning down at all. I was reacting to the title I suppose. Your actual post could be sent as is. I hope you do send it in to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.