Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
USA
With the release of the iOS 9 B5/PB3 the green/blue wave wallpaper is no longer included. Removed by accident? Or does this mean that Apple is changing the proposed default iOS 9 wallpaper? I still see it being advertised all over the Apple iOS 9 page.

Reactions: Lady_Di

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The iOS 8 default wallpaper changed in the betas also.
Remember that iOS 8 B1-B6 had the blue one (water, if i remember) and the GM had the new one.

Reactions: maxout25

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
It looks intentional. The new wallpapers are each part of a set. It's not like somehow it was left out because the wave doesn't belong with any other wallpapers.

I never really considered the wave as the default wallpaper, only the default for the betas, like the underwater wallpaper last year. I'm surprised they removed it, but again, it doesn't fit.

I have a feeling they are going to hold back some like they did last year with the purple sky one. I can't see them using the new first one in the list for that purpose.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The picture was by Chris Burkard.
I left a comment on his blog re: the picture on the day of the keynote and he replied, seemingly not realizing that Apple had used his picture! perhaps it's a copyright thing.

Reactions: luke lau

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Worse is the loss of the snowy mountain with the purple sky wallpaper. I really loved that one and pretty much used it since November until a few weeks ago (and I’m not ‘feeling’ the replacement yet). :/

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's on Google...all it takes is a simple search.

That’s not the point. Why do they sort out fairly new and excellent wallpapers so quickly and leave some of the most boring ones in it? They still have many wallpapers with bright colours and white backgrounds, which look disgusting on the home screen where the icons are also bright and the thin text is barely readable. The snowy mountain was one of the best in recent years.

Is there really someone who thinks this looks good?
IMG_1795.jpg IMG_1796.jpg

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That’s not the point. Why do they sort out fairly new and excellent wallpapers so quickly and leave some of the most boring ones in it? They still have many wallpapers with bright colours and white backgrounds, which look disgusting on the home screen where the icons are also bright and the thin text is barely readable. The snowy mountain was one of the best in recent years.

Hey I happen to think the white wallpaper looks great!

image.jpg

Also, here's a nicer version (IMO) of the mountain wallpaper just for kicks.

image.jpg

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Hey I happen to think the white wallpaper looks great!

Of course, because you are running on a jailbroken OS and put thick shadows underneath the icons and text and removed the bright colour blob under the Dock. That is not how it looks for everyone else (see above).

Also, here's a nicer version (IMO) of the mountain wallpaper just for kicks.

Seems to have a bad quality though, as if the size was increased.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Of course, because you are running on a jailbroken OS and put thick shadows underneath the icons and text and removed the bright colour blob under the Dock. That is not how it looks for everyone else (see above).

That was the point. ;)

Seems to have a bad quality though, as if the size was increased.

Weird. It looks great on my lockscreen. Quality loss through upload here, maybe?

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI

Is there really someone who thinks this looks good?
View attachment 573589 View attachment 573590

Actually those kinda wallpapers are meant for the lockscreen.

Reactions: Nick.Xiao

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That was the point. ;)

I miss iOS 6 now. :( It doesn’t matter what you do, you need a wallpaper with just the right colour balance to look good on iOS 7/8/9, either because the contrast is too poor, the Dock looks crappy, the colours conflict or the result looks too busy. Choosing your wallpaper is like fengshui’ing your living room, rather than just going with a wallpaper you like in and of itself.

Reactions: !!! and XTheLancerX

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Actually those kinda wallpapers are meant for the lockscreen.

It destroys the animation and illusion of the layered home screen though if you pick two separate ones. On iOS 1/2/3 it worked because the lock screen was visually disconnected from the home screen.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I miss iOS 6 now. :( It doesn’t matter what you do, you need a wallpaper with just the right colour balance to look good on iOS 7/8/9, either because the contrast is too poor, the Dock looks crappy, the colours conflict or the result looks too busy. Choosing your wallpaper is like fengshui’ing your living room, rather than just going with a wallpaper you like in and of itself.

Agreed. And I wholly believe that the dock is the main problem. A great wallpaper can be completely ruined because it picks up and blends whatever colors are spread beneath. I have a very limited few that I switch between.

That sky wallpaper looks like a blurry piece of garbage.

Thanks for the input. It's already been addressed.

Reactions: hxlover904

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
It destroys the animation and illusion of the layered home screen though if you pick two separate ones. On iOS 1/2/3 it worked because the lock screen was visually disconnected from the home screen.

It still doesn't matter, every iPhone commercial I've seen since iOS 8 has used either the black background wallpapers or the white ones. You personal preference is to not use those wallpapers that way and thats 100% fine. But they were intended for the lockscreen.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It still doesn't matter, every iPhone commercial I've seen since iOS 8 has used either the black background wallpapers or the white ones. You personal preference is to not use those wallpapers that way and thats 100% fine. But they were intended for the lockscreen.

I gave you a reason why it’s not a nice solution, I don’t care what Apple shows. The fact that they do use the snowy mountain wallpaper pretty much exclusively for all screenshots that depict UI on their website, whereas they almost never show any bright ones with them, underpins my point: choosing a wallpaper is less about your personal preference and more about finding the right balance. There is always one aspect that screws up your choice of wallpaper. iOS 7/8/9 just sucks for wallpapers and they don’t include many wallpapers that go well together with the design, like how they envisioned that iOS 7/8/9 would look best. The snowy mountain is a really good one that works really well with all aspects of iOS 7. If they needed more space then there were other choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.