Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TreRep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
do you find the usb to dock cable of the new ipad different ?

in particular the dock side is different on mine vs the one of ipad 2

:apple:

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
One thing I have noticed is all the generic cables I have (3 foot cables are just too short...) no longer charge the ipad3. They charged the ipad2 though. Can still sync with them too. First thought it was a distance issue but I can hook the apple cable into a usb extension cord and it works. Either the apple dock connectors are chipped (*sigh*) or the generic ones took a shortcut that no longer works. This is the first device that these cables don't work fully on.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
do you find the usb to dock cable of the new ipad different ?

in particular the dock side is different on mine vs the one of ipad 2

:apple:

Yes, the new iPads have a slightly better cable with them. The rubber reinforcement at both ends, where they attach onto the plug, is longer. Should help prevent the cable from getting a kink from being bent to much.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yep, longer reinforcement on mine v the iPhone 4 cable, will deffo make them last longer

tsekh

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
One thing I have noticed is all the generic cables I have (3 foot cables are just too short...) no longer charge the ipad3. They charged the ipad2 though. Can still sync with them too. First thought it was a distance issue but I can hook the apple cable into a usb extension cord and it works. Either the apple dock connectors are chipped (*sigh*) or the generic ones took a shortcut that no longer works. This is the first device that these cables don't work fully on.

Did Apple change the pin assignment, again?

Ndhusmc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
My iPad won't charge on generic cables reliably. I'll charge for 12% and it'll say not charging and I'll have to unplug/replug in and the cycle begins again. I have a generic cable that is about a foot longer than the apple cable plugged into the iPad charger with the longer power cable from the MacBook pro chargers. Didn't have issues with iPad 1, 2, or iPhone 4S.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I still have an old-style large cable with the mechanical clips in it that I use on my charger and iPad, and it works out fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 139

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I still have my iPad 2 and its charger cable. I didn't take much care to make sure I knew which is my old adapter and cable and which came with my new iPad, so now I don't know for sure which came with which.

Could someone please help clarify? One has darker tiny plastic edges on the top portion where it plugs into the iPad and has the "…made in China…" writing along the wire at that top portion. The other has lighter colored plastic edges and no writing.

I'm pretty sure the first one is from the iPad 2 and the latter is the newer one.

I'm… just going to assume that between the two charging adapters, the one with the slightly more faded writing on the bottom of the unit is the older one.

edit: Oh, right. I just plugged them both in and noticed that the newer one does have the longer bit of cord protection at the end. So that is easy to tell the difference.

Last edited:

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I don't know, I haven't unwrapped the new cable yet. But I noticed my HDMI (Apple first party) adapter has been giving me "This accessory is not supported" errors but then usually actually syncs up. I never got that with my iPad 1.

mushed

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
North East England.
I have two or three (I'm sure it's three) different 'sized' cables I have the one with the push buttons and then two simple pull out ones, one slightly thicker than the other all work with all the devices I own (I'm to lazy to go and get the specific ones that they came with) especially since I've had around 6/7 different devices that require those cables.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA

I have the gRiffin 10 foot cable and it works great with the new iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.