Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
It would happen eventually, and today it did.

I had been waiting to upgrade from my iPhone 8+, a phone I have been been very happy with for the past five years. But I reasoned it had maybe one more OS upgrade in it before it wouldn’t upgrade anymore. And last I looked it was at 84 percent of maximum battery.

I had seriously considered the 14+ but in the end I went with the entry 14. The 14 is slightly smaller dimensionally than my 8+ even though the 14’s screen is 3-5 percent larger than the 8’s. As such although the new phone feels much lighter(!) and a bit smaller in-hand than my 8+ I don’t feel the screen is smaller, just shaped differently. I never considered the 14 Pro or Pro Max simply because I felt my needs didn’t warrant spending the extra money for those devices. I didn’t need those features, the cache or the reason to brag.

I had been putting off upgrading until my carrier introduced their back-to-school promo, and I thought it was a good one. Additionally my carrier, Koodo, has an arrangement with my employer, Staples Canada, thats allows me to save up to 30 percent on plans and add-ons. That with the savings my carrier is offering on the phone worked out to be a better deal than me buying the phone outright from work on staff purchase.

I picked up the Midnight colour because the blue wasn’t available. Bummer, but I’ll live. I also picked up a Midnight silicon case to keep the phone from feeling bulky in-hand (I like Otterbox and others, but they make the device feel bulky).

So my new iPhone is my most recent Apple device upgrade following my upgrade to an iPad Air 5 last December before Christmas. Next upgrade on the list I’m waiting for the M3 iMac. Then that should do it for me for the next 4-5 years or so.

Last edited:

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Interesting and weird. When I picked up my new phone I picked up a nice looking matching silicone like case. Problem was when I tried charging my new phone on my Belkin 15w charging pad: the phone got unusually warm and even stopped charging at 80 something percent, pausing until the I removed the phone allowing to cool down. Afterward I was able to resume charging. The next day I picked up a Spigen clear flex case for the phone. Next time I tried charging it everything was perfectly normal just as it had been with my iPhone 8+.

I later contacted where I got the new phone and case to inform them they might have an issue with those new cases on iPhones when trying to charge on a charging pad. I also returned the case.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Your five year old 8+ was the original battery and still at 84% health? That’s impressive.

I have become a big fan of the Spigen cases. Inexpensive to buy at least on Amazon, no problems with charging with them, and I feel are good protective cases.

Reactions: Warped9

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
So it’s been a week or so now and I’m quite liking this phone. I like the slightly more compact size compared to my old 8+ while still having a good sized screen. With my usage I can stretch recharging to every three days, although I’m sure there will be heavier use days when I’ll be recharging every other day.

I also appreciate the distinctly lighter weight, not that I was bothered by the 8+ weight. It’s also smaller fitting into my pocket.

Reactions: Devyn89

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I think there is a 1oz weight difference between the 8+ and the 14. I know some people say they can’t feel the difference but to me it’s a very noticeable difference in a good way being an ounce lighter.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Two months in now and I’m very satisfied with this phone. I really liked my iPhone 8+ but I’m not missing it. I don’t feel I’m missing any screen area (the 14’s screen is about 3-5% bigger in area than the 8+) and I like the lighter feel and slightly smaller size in hand. The battery is also proving to be a pleasant surprise with me charging the phone about every three days.

I also haven’t encountered any issues or glitches. It works exactly as expected.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
The non Pro phones I think are really good phones for the money. I had a regular 13 and the size and weight were really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.