New iPod charging too long?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sjjordan, Dec 25, 2003.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I bought my brother a refurbished 5 GB ipod (1st Generation). We updated all the software but it has been charging for a lot longer than 4 hours. What does the ipod do when it is fully charged? Does this mean the battery has a problem?

Thanks!

2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

You might be confused. Unless the bars inside the battery are actually moving it's not charging. If your just seeing all the bars lit up then it's fully charged.

3. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not confused. The ipod says that it is charging, and the battery menu in the top right is moving with the lightning bolt present, indicating it's plugged in.

It's been "charging" like that for over 6 hours and I expected it to display a "fully charged" screen when finished. It hasn't.

Is that normal??

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

not in my experiance. when you unplug it what does it look like then? 4 bars?

5. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

It finished charging. Over 6 hours. Quite a long time. We'll let it play on repeat tomorrow to make sure the battery lasts the full time. Yes, 4 bars appear when not plugged in.

Thanks

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This could indicate a battery problem, especially if the battery doesn't last long... you may want to let it run continuously all day, to test it... it could also indicate a voltage irregularity on your firewire port, try using the other port, or the power brick if you have one... beyond that, i dunno what to tell you?

paul

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sounds pretty normal to me! It is suggested that you charge your pod overnight with the adapter (especially the first time you charge it), just leave it on the adapter for a night. Then you know it's fully charged. Only if it is losing its power very quick after that, then there is something wrong with your battery.

BTW, how did you charge it? On the adapter or on the computer?

8. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

I charged it on the adapter.

I'm going to run it all day and make sure the batter lasts the full time.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut