Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
I bought my brother a refurbished 5 GB ipod (1st Generation). We updated all the software but it has been charging for a lot longer than 4 hours. What does the ipod do when it is fully charged? Does this mean the battery has a problem?

Thanks!

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
You might be confused. Unless the bars inside the battery are actually moving it's not charging. If your just seeing all the bars lit up then it's fully charged.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
I'm not confused. The ipod says that it is charging, and the battery menu in the top right is moving with the lightning bolt present, indicating it's plugged in.

It's been "charging" like that for over 6 hours and I expected it to display a "fully charged" screen when finished. It hasn't.

Is that normal??

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
It finished charging. Over 6 hours. Quite a long time. We'll let it play on repeat tomorrow to make sure the battery lasts the full time. Yes, 4 bars appear when not plugged in.

Thanks

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
This could indicate a battery problem, especially if the battery doesn't last long... you may want to let it run continuously all day, to test it... it could also indicate a voltage irregularity on your firewire port, try using the other port, or the power brick if you have one... beyond that, i dunno what to tell you?

paul

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Sounds pretty normal to me! It is suggested that you charge your pod overnight with the adapter (especially the first time you charge it), just leave it on the adapter for a night. Then you know it's fully charged. Only if it is losing its power very quick after that, then there is something wrong with your battery.

BTW, how did you charge it? On the adapter or on the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.