Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
With the new generation iPhone's coming,(so) does new generation iPod touch.:D

Yes because the future always is just like the past. :p

we will see a new one

Yes because if we just all wish hard enough it WILL happen. :p

No invites yesterday which would lead me to say no event next week.. when will this agony end??? (sarcasm mode on)

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
No, because I never said that iPod Touch sales dropped precipitously. That's the word that YOU used.

----------

That's what I believe is going to happen.

For some reason when people see "no new model" it gets interpreted in their brain as "discontinued".

You claim: "You are free to ignore the continuing declining iPod Touch sales, but I'm certain that Apple is not. "

Where is there evidence for continually declining iPod touch sales?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
No invites yesterday which would lead me to say no event next week.. when will this agony end??? (sarcasm mode on)

Is that still the prevailing thought regarding the iPod event? Or are we now looking to a 'consolidated' event for both iPod and iPhone 5 launches? Maybe around the end of September?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I expect the Nano and even the Classic to gain WiFi capabity, simply to take advantage of iCloud access to music. I expect the Touch to get larger, as the most popular size of smartphones is up in the 4.3" range now, and it is because bigger screens are easier to see. They also have more room for an on-screen keyboard.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I expect the Nano and even the Classic to gain WiFi capabity, simply to take advantage of iCloud access to music. I expect the Touch to get larger, as the most popular size of smartphones is up in the 4.3" range now, and it is because bigger screens are easier to see. They also have more room for an on-screen keyboard.

Thumbs up with all that! And the Touch should also get the A5 processor a better camera (probably 5MP) and more RAM

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Is that still the prevailing thought regarding the iPod event? Or are we now looking to a 'consolidated' event for both iPod and iPhone 5 launches? Maybe around the end of September?

Combined event for sure. No rumors of an iPod event. They will unveil the new iPod's and iPhone's together. Late September if I had to guess.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Combined event for sure. No rumors of an iPod event. They will unveil the new iPod's and iPhone's together. Late September if I had to guess.

If they do them together I can't see that as a good sign. We know they have two iPhones to show and discuss and there is OS5 and iCloud plus iTunes match. There won't be much time to fit in the iPods unless there is nothing much to announce. :( Combined show means expect only color and other minor changes for the iPods

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
It's also possible the iPods may get a major renovation, but they may just not talk about it at all. They don't have events for everything they make.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
It's also possible the iPods may get a major renovation, but they may just not talk about it at all. They don't have events for everything they make.

If they drop the iPod event I don't see how you can put a positive spin on it. It is true that the laptops and minis and apple TV don't have their own events but the iPods always have and a change to that would indicate a loss of interest in them by Apple. If all Apple cares about now is iPhones and iPads that would make me sad :( It's possible but I'm not going to cheer it on. It's too late for a Tuesday or Wednesday event but if they send out invites tomorrow there still could be a Thursday or Friday event. The middle of the month is looking more likely now though with the iPhone event being the first or second week in October. There still could be two events. If there isn't then that would indicate the Touch is EOL. There is enough in the iPod line to have a separate show. It could cover new iPods, a new Touch, iTunes Match and possibly a new Apple TV. I hope that happens

Last edited:

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Well, Apple is putting more emphasis on the iPhone and iPad because they are their new flagship products. The iPod has been around for ten years now, and more and more people are using their iPhone as an iPod, or getting an iPod Touch. The emphasis on the other three iPods will continue to dwindle (I expect at least one of the three to be discontinued this year). The only hope for a big event is that it's their 10th anniversary - otherwise I'm not expecting much.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
If they do them together I can't see that as a good sign. We know they have two iPhones to show and discuss and there is OS5 and iCloud plus iTunes match. There won't be much time to fit in the iPods unless there is nothing much to announce. :( Combined show means expect only color and other minor changes for the iPods

I disagree. First off, they already discussed iOS5 and iCloud/iTunes Match in June. Sure they might mention it, but I don't think they will go into detail about it. They already did that a few months ago.

If the iPhone is getting a bigger screen, then so will the iTouch. The question essentially becomes do we believe that screen is getting bigger. If yes, then we are seeing very significant changes to the iPhone and iTouch with respect to hardware. At this point, I'm pretty much convinced we are getting a bigger screen (4") which alone makes this a pretty big deal.

What I'm curious to see is what they will announce first, if they even use the "one more thing" line, etc. If they combine (which I think they are clearly going to do) do they intro the iPod's or iPhone's first? I think the iPhone's, followed by the new iPod's. The iTouch will borrow from the new iPhone, so makes sense to show that second.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I disagree. First off, they already discussed iOS5 and iCloud/iTunes Match in June. Sure they might mention it, but I don't think they will go into detail about it. They already did that a few months ago.

If the iPhone is getting a bigger screen, then so will the iTouch. The question essentially becomes do we believe that screen is getting bigger. If yes, then we are seeing very significant changes to the iPhone and iTouch with respect to hardware. At this point, I'm pretty much convinced we are getting a bigger screen (4") which alone makes this a pretty big deal.

What I'm curious to see is what they will announce first, if they even use the "one more thing" line, etc. If they combine (which I think they are clearly going to do) do they intro the iPod's or iPhone's first? I think the iPhone's, followed by the new iPod's. The iTouch will borrow from the new iPhone, so makes sense to show that second.
True.I think that they will first announce the iPhone and then the iPod touch

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011

Well even years past, Apple haven't spent much time on ipods, less than 10 minutes for ipod touch 4g while the iphone 4 had 10 parts that was closer to an hour.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The pictures of a white ipod touch have the same dimensions and their isn't much motivation for Apple to include a larger screen although I suppose that would be better for typing and games. Rumors have also came up that says ipod touch 5g will only have a minor update :(

I still believe that ipods will be revealed before the iPhone OR with the iPhone.

Apple will not let ipod news steal the thunder after the iPhone has been revealed. I suppose that Apple will intend the iPhone to maintain its buzz in to black friday and the holiday shopping season.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Well even years past, Apple haven't spent much time on ipods, less than 10 minutes for ipod touch 4g while the iphone 4 had 10 parts that was closer to an hour.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The pictures of a white ipod touch have the same dimensions and their isn't much motivation for Apple to include a larger screen although I suppose that would be better for typing and games. Rumors have also came up that says ipod touch 5g will only have a minor update :(

I still believe that ipods will be revealed before the iPhone OR with the iPhone.

Apple will not let ipod news steal the thunder after the iPhone has been revealed. I suppose that Apple will intend the iPhone to maintain its buzz in to black friday and the holiday shopping season.
Maybe the white ipod touch 5g surfaces are the 4G
Maybe apple wanted to release a white version alongside but never did it

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Maybe the white ipod touch 5g surfaces are the 4G
Maybe apple wanted to release a white version alongside but never did it

Maybe it's the white iPhone 4S. I am also convince the Touch gets a bigger screen to provide a realistic competitor to the 7" tablets for things like gaming

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Maybe it's the white iPhone 4S. I am also convince the Touch gets a bigger screen to provide a realistic competitor to the 7" tablets for things like gaming
no it's not.If you look at it's an ipod touch surface ;)

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I simply don't see Apple increasing the iPhone screen size and not doing the same with the iTouch. Now if the iPhone does not get a larger screen, it's a moot point. But I still think it will, and hence the new iTouch will share that screen size.

No way iPod's and iPhone are getting separate events. It will be a combo event in late Sept. iPhone's first, then iPod's.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I don't really understand why people are making such a big deal about distinguishing the iPod touch from the iPhone. The fact of the matter is, from a functional standpoint, they are essentially two different models (with different features tailored to different target budgets) of the same product line: an iOS personal computing device in the sub-tablet form factor.

The iPod touch is to the iPhone as the WiFi iPad is to the 3G iPad.

You really don't need to spend too much time at a media event introducing one, and then spend the same amount of time introducing the other. Just introduce both in parallel, and add verbal footnotes as necessary to acknowledge the areas in which the two differ.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
You really don't need to spend too much time at a media event introducing one, and then spend the same amount of time introducing the other. Just introduce both in parallel, and add verbal footnotes as necessary to acknowledge the areas in which the two differ.

No they're not going to do that. Apple does not want to emphasize how many features the iPhone has that the iPod Touch lacks. It just makes the Touch look lame. They even try to hide the differences by not mentioning them. Usually we have to comb the specs to see what the differences are. That's why I don't think the events will be combined. Apple likes to promote how much the Touch has that the rest of the iPods lack and that works best at an iPod event.
I'm really hoping though that if there is an 4 inch iPhone that the Touch gets some form of 4 inch screen also. I would really love to have a 4 inch iPod Touch.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
No they're not going to do that. Apple does not want to emphasize how many features the iPhone has that the iPod Touch lacks. It just makes the Touch look lame. They even try to hide the differences by not mentioning them. Usually we have to comb the specs to see what the differences are. That's why I don't think the events will be combined. Apple likes to promote how much the Touch has that the rest of the iPods lack and that works best at an iPod event.
I'm really hoping though that if there is an 4 inch iPhone that the Touch gets some form of 4 inch screen also. I would really love to have a 4 inch iPod Touch.

There is no way we are seeing separate iPod and iPhone events this fall. Makes no sense. It will be combined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.