Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zigziggityzoo

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
StarbucksSam said:
That was indeed rather disappointing. I thought it was quite stupid, really. They are clearly marketing to tasteless PC users at this point. It's really starting to bug me.

they dont need to advertise to you...you've already had a taste of the kool aid. it's the PC users that need to drink up....

xsnightclub

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Green Bay, WI
quicktime error

Is anyone else getting this when they click on the link?

Anyone know what it is?

Edit: The link is working now, maybe server error.

Attachments

• Snapshot 2005-05-08 14-12-32.jpg
    Snapshot 2005-05-08 14-12-32.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 118

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Superdrive said:
Quicktime file missing on all of them when I try to load them up. In my opinion, they need to stop resting on their laurels and get to some new advertising. There is nothing new to these anymore, they have lost their novelty.

any marketing geeks around? how does this work? a company asks a marketing firm 2 create a marketing scheme. the marketing firm would say, "because of our experience, we think the product needs to have 10 similar adds, for it to "work"." the company negotiates and says "ok, 7 commercials for 1 mio. $." and what if, the commercial "worked" after 2 commercials, the marketing firm has to bring out 7! commercials.

does it really work like that? please correct me.

cin

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2005
Roller skates are the bomb!

So many of you are missing the point....

Roller skates are back! iPod just wants to tag along for the ride...

In a year from now all of you guys will be rolling around like it's the 80's again :cool:

Seriously, the inline skate industry is dying and roller skates are back as the next cool thing. Not surprising considering how much of a better product they are. Seeing them with the iPod is a perfect match.

Apple is not the first one to catch on to the new trend either: Coca-Cola has it's own rollerskating ad and July 1st the movie Roll Bounce is coming out.

There's some fresh new blood in the roller skating industry too, check out what these guys (and gals) are doing on their roller skates and make sure to take a look at the ramp and dirt roller skates, these ain't your grandma's skates! Not to mention that new roller rinks are opening all around north america.

Mark my words, roller skates are back to take over.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Unless "Roller Girl" comes with them, I'm out...

I can't wait until "You Got Served 2 (Hell on Wheels)" comes out.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
That one was probably the worst one of the silhouette ads I've seen (and I've seen them all so far). not too bad for a commercial though.

cubedco

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Austin, TX
redAPPLE said:
any marketing geeks around? how does this work? a company asks a marketing firm 2 create a marketing scheme. the marketing firm would say, "because of our experience, we think the product needs to have 10 similar adds, for it to "work"." the company negotiates and says "ok, 7 commercials for 1 mio. $." and what if, the commercial "worked" after 2 commercials, the marketing firm has to bring out 7! commercials.

does it really work like that? please correct me.
i'm not sure what you just said so i'll write what i know....

Typically, an advertising campaign is a combination of ads that are binded by a consistent visual property. In the case of these commercials: color & silos. Consistency is key in building a 'brand environment'. ie: how you feel when you walk into an Apple store or use an Apple product.

Alot of you are commenting about how the ad should show all these features of the Macs and Airport express stuff... who cares... there's not enough time to explain in detail and what's not explained will be assumed to be absent from the product by the average consumer.

The purpose of this ad campaign is to build equity & recognition into the Apple brand. Apple is fun, they are unique.. they are a personable company that builds personable computers/products. Dell/HP is generic... muchlike their product ads.

Just b/c it shows an iPod specifically doesn't mean the ad is solely working for that product alone. The ad makes me smile.. the smooth glide of the rollerskates reminds me of the polished iMac... the smooth PowerMac case... silky iPods... etc...

:c

OSXpert

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
New York / New York
yg17 said:
In other news, System of a Down's performance on SNL was great (which is the only reason I endured 30 minutes of not-funnyness beforehand)

Actually, it was the worst performance of any band I've ever seen. I brought my roommate in the room so we could laugh at it together.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
homerjward said:
anyone notice it doesn't say mac or pc at the end? just ipod+itunes, the green dancers then ?

The reason that was there in the end was to reassure people that iPods are Windows compatible, coming from the company known best for Macs; almost everyone knows that by now.

The next step they need to take is to add more diversity to the music on the ads; U2 was a step in the right direction. They need to do one with Willie Nelson or somebody.

OSXpert said:
Actually, it was the worst performance of any band I've ever seen. I brought my roommate in the room so we could laugh at it together.

The only great one they've had this season is Keane (so I downloaded their album from iTMS with Pepsi caps). Maybe they should do an iPod commercial?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
That was pretty retro. I mean, rollerblade models from the 70's? It'd be cooler if they showed inline rollerblades with kids jumping rails or something a bit cooler.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
cin said:
*snip* ... Not to mention that new roller rinks are opening all around north america.

Mark my words, roller skates are back to take over.

As a college student I can say that while skating isn't a major event, it's definitely a "cool" event. If you missed out on a group going skating you feel burned, not like you missed the worst thing on earth.
Not many people, at least at this College, think that skating is in the least bit old or bad.

~Earendil

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Wow the song is up to #45 on the iTunes single charts i know that i bought the song. (not my favorite but good). Does apple make the song move up, was it already up there or are there people like that by it becuase it was on there ad.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
My personal fave for the best silhouette iPod ad is the iPod shuffle ad playing to the “Jerk It Out” by The Caesars song. I love it.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
runninmac said:
Wow the song is up to #45 on the iTunes single charts i know that i bought the song. (not my favorite but good). Does apple make the song move up, was it already up there or are there people like that by it becuase it was on there ad.

Last I checked it was in the low 60s and falling. Looks like Apple helped out a bit. (Charts I'm judging is US, UK may be higher).

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Its marketing not entertainment

Why is this ad such a problem... we should be glad that the thirst for novelty seen here isn't reflected in apple's marketing strategy. The ad uses the same style because it is obviously intended to reinforce the same idea about the same product. It seeks to expand the customer base not introduce something revolutionary... with this in mind the ad is effective, it is fun, it is lively, it communicates what the buzz about the ipod is all about!
True, like many here I would like to see apple expand its marketing into new areas, i.e. imac and tiger, but it seems that for now they will stick with what they are dominant in: the ipod market! Think about, as bad as it may seem that they don't advertise in other areas, it would be disastrous if they started loosing their share in the mp3 market, and it seems like they are focused in not letting this happen...

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
GLO!!!

Windowlicker said:
That one was probably the worst one of the silhouette ads I've seen (and I've seen them all so far). not too bad for a commercial though.
Just noticed your avatar, GLO heh...maybe the next ad, and it would have to be in silhouettes to preserve identities, should be at a club, with real breakers , and bukem bumping!!! what do you think?

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Windowlicker said:
The cool thing is they provide the ads at the resolution of 640 now :) much better than a tiny 480! Thanks to h264 :)

It is encoded in MPEG 4 not H.264.
I am pretty bored of the adverts now, bring out a new iPod alreadyyyy

Psychic Shopper

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Cleveland Ohio
Big summer activity

Daveway said:
Apple is airing new iPod ads. The new ads feature the same sihouette style with people on rollerblades. It seems the new ads first aired on SNL tonight.
Rollerblading,bike riding and jogging are big summer activities that compliment the use of an ipod. If you've ever seen Central Park in NYC in the summer, you know what I mean. The ad is proprerly timed and shows an activity ,at least in New York, many people do.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Okay - with respect where it's due, the numerous people here who seem to think Apple's 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach to these ads reflects some sort of positive marketing strategy obviously aren't old enough to remember the last time their favourite musical genre suddenly went out of fashion. Hip hop and rap weren't insanely popular for a very long time before they 'came back' ;)

To put this as simply as possible - people (and I don't just mean Mac fans, but particularly the wider public) don't like overexposure. We like iPods because they work well for us. But when 'the wider public' starts realising that their 'cool, unique, different, classy' iPod is no longer so cool and is a commodity in everyone else's hands (and thus no longer a point of social superiority), they will start to resent it. White earbuds in public are no longer a sign of belonging to an elite club, but a sign that you're another drone.

Like I said, I love Apple and am such a huge apologist for their strategy - but I'm not so blind as to think that they can't make mistakes. And persisting with this stupid silhouette for two years (which incidentally I quite liked at the beginning) at the expense of promoting their brand news OS and hardware (albeit in an equally catchy way) is one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.