Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
I downloaded the new 7.4.1 and it said my ringtone couldn't be put on this iphone. Whats more is I can't get the ringtone I made OUT of the ringtone tab.....what the heck! Now I can't even get rid of it....*sigh* any suggestions?

I think that when ringtone support is "officially" released, a ringtones section under Library may appear. (Though you may have to buy a ringtone first). At such a time, the user-added ringtones may appear there... I don't know.

Perhaps, even, when ringtone support is enabled in iTunes, the user-added ringtones will start working again. Highly unlikely, but one can dream...

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
I may have found an older version of iTunes (7.4.0 NOT 7.4.1). Will let you know here shortly . . . . . . downloading now

I got it from a mirror site that Apple did not remove yet.

Can someone who HAS the latest update (7.4.1) try this version and see if it helps. Mine is still version 7.4, so I an sticking with that for a while.

For those of you who want to try, I will post it here in a few . . . .

Edit: YEP. It's 7.4. Will post an url

Edit: Here's the URL for 7.4 (NOT 7.4.1).

7.4.1 users. Let me know if this works for you.

If there's too much traffic, I'll have to take it down (or maybe someone can mirror it). Good luck.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I downloaded the new 7.4.1 and it said my ringtone couldn't be put on this iphone. Whats more is I can't get the ringtone I made OUT of the ringtone tab.....what the heck! Now I can't even get rid of it....*sigh* any suggestions?

Same here. Says the file type cannot be played because it isn't supported. My ass it isn't! I thought the Engadget story was true, but it looks like they updated the article about how some users are having them removed.

And I had the Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix) on there for Halo 3. :(
I should stop being the test guinea pig with all these updates.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
I may have found an older version of iTunes (7.4.0 NOT 7.4.1).

Can someone who HAS the latest update (7.4.1) try this version and see if it helps. Mine is still version 7.4, so I an sticking with that for a while.

If there's too much traffic, I'll have to take it down (or maybe someone can mirror it). Good luck.

Edit: OK. I have fixed the file (same link) and tested it. It works now.

lenn0x

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2005
That iTunes 7.4 URL is unmountable (10MB)

I may have found an older version of iTunes (7.4.0 NOT 7.4.1).

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
That iTunes 7.4 URL is unmountable (10MB)

Sorry. I didn't realize it had a "bad" FTP transfer and didn't complete. Uploading it now . . . final size should be 38.2 Mb. Be done soon . . .

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Here's the problem

The iTunes package has 3 mini packages :

AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg
iTunesAccess.pkg
iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg

one of these three has the fix for the file extension.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
im on 7.4 and it's not liking me...i renamed the file to .m4r (under get info) and it says protected aac in the itunes area on the right, but it won't work properly. no songs in ringtone...

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Here's the problem

The iTunes package has 3 mini packages :

iTunesAccess.pkg
iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg

one of these three has the fix for the file extension.

I never installed 7.4.1 so I still have the package receipts. I put them all into a zip file. I do not have iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg. I have the following

iTunesAccess.pkg
iTunesX.pkg
iTunes.pkg

There are in a zip file here

itunes files

install them and see what happens.

ebracr

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
7.4.1 broke Cleverboy's little work-around. Too bad Apple isn't as quick to fix the syncing issues a lot of people are having with this version of iTunes. Now the question is, how does one REMOVE the non-working Ringtones that now appear under the iPhone Ringtone tab. I tried deleting them, but they still appear in the list.

I found this posted on another site so i figured i post it here it worked for me. I didn't know how to do it exactly but i had a backup copy of my ITunes music folder from itunes earlier today and i just recopied the Previous copy of the iTunes librarie and it worked great the ringtones where gone out of the ringtone tab when i hooked up the phone. Just be sure to delete the ringtone out of the ringtone folder of iTunes first before you do the step below.:) Hope this help.

>Don't know if this is the best or only way to do it. iTunes keeps copies of the library in a folder "Previous iTunes Libraries" in the iTunes folder. I renamed and copied the "iTunes Library" file to that folder and copied the file with a date/time stamp before I changed things to the iTunes folder. Be sure to remove any date/time info from the name. Must be "iTunes Library". Start iTunes and all is well.<

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Edit: OK. I have fixed the file (same link below) and tested it. It works now.

Here's the URL for 7.4 (NOT 7.4.1).

AuburnTigerr

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
For those of us who have not upgraded to 7.4.1, I have a conversion question. I've had a bit of trouble converting from apple's MPEG4 format to one that I can use to edit (I've been using Tunebite to transfer to WMA and then Goldwave to edit the song). I can convert apple's protected MPEG4 songs just fine (i.e. the songs I bought from Apple through iTunes). The songs that I have on iTunes that I put on my computer (mainly ripped audio and data CDs) won't convert using Tunebite and I can't seem to find another program that will do it. Strange that I'm having the most trouble with music that I own! I would just go re-rip the CDs, but honestly I've lost most of them at this point. I'm sure this is probably fairly easy and obvious to most of you, but I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to things like this. Thank you in advance for your help :) You guys are wonderfully helpful!

Btw, I'm running Windows XP.

And if someone can suggest an easier way to do this than what I'm doing - please do tell!

s5xxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Has anyone figured out a way to remove ringtones from your library? I still have some orphaned entries hanging around that I would like to delete.

(And reimporting from the XML file seems to break some things, including my iPhone <-> iTunes library association.)

cubelover

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
syncing on multiple computers?

...wondering if anyone has tried this and if their ringtones carried over or if they were erased whem moving between two macs??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.