Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alep85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Hey everyone, I've got a first gen Macbook Pro, and was contemplating putting in the Superdrive from the current Macbook Pros that feature double layer burning. What is the model number of this drive, and does it have the same height and size characteristics as the Matshita UJ-857 that is currently in my laptop? Also, do you think it is worth doing that along with a HDD upgrade, or would it be more cost effective to just buy a new MBP? (I do a lot of audio work and music storage, so the Core 2 Duo and bigger HDD options would be of use to me). Let me know, thanks!

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
The optical drive in my new C2D 17" MacBook is a Matshita UJ-85J. I have no idea how it compares in size to the Matshita UJ-857. But judging from the similarity in the numbers and Matshita's history my guess is that they are physically interchangeable.

You might try to contact the TechStore and get a price on upgrading the drive and replacing the HD with a larger one. As a package deal I suspect that it would be in the order of $500.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Do you genuinely need Dual layer burning?

If you are upgrading for the sake of upgrading rather than a real need it is wiser to just... let it be.

What you are doing can potentially
  1. cost quite a bit of money
  2. destroy your Macbook Pro (not very many happy endings for people who do surgery on theirs)
  3. void your warranty

Plus it is not that expensive to upgrade to a C2D refurbished unit too. Rather than shelling out $100 or so for the drive and at the end of it get a warped machine that wouldn't even stay closed, why not just sell it as it is on ebay with its warranty and chastity intact, and put the money towards a C2D?

sdsviet

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Chicago
this is a rather old thread but i rather not make another since this is here. i have a first gen mbp and i want to replace the superdrive in mine and get one that can do dual layers. does any one the model number and where. does the newest superdrive for mbp fit in my first gen. i plan on keeping this first gen for awhile so i wont be needing to save up to buy a new one or anything. just wanna upgrade this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.