Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Hi everybody. Using apple's mail, a few times a day I get a new mail sound, then switch over and see no new mail. I don't seem to have any rules that would do this and I reset my junk mail settings. I am using Daniels HTTPMail plugin 1.38 to dl my hotmail account, but I seem to remember this happening before I installed that. Anybody have any clue whats causing this? Am I losing mail?

Thanks

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I just installed 10.3.5 and am waiting to see if this behavior continues. Any idea why this problem is occurring?

tia

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is a far out guess, but look at the Mail preferences. See how there's a "Play sounds for other mail actions" choice? If its checked, mail actually has a sound for new mail and another for no-new-mail. I'm not sure how to change the "no-new-mail" sound, but you could try de-selecting this, or else making sure the new mail sound is noticeably different. IIRC the default new-mail sound sounds a lot like the default no-new-mail sound, and I changed it.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
motulist said:
Hi everybody. Using apple's mail, a few times a day I get a new mail sound, then switch over and see no new mail. I don't seem to have any rules that would do this and I reset my junk mail settings. I am using Daniels HTTPMail plugin 1.38 to dl my hotmail account, but I seem to remember this happening before I installed that. Anybody have any clue whats causing this? Am I losing mail?

Thanks
That also happens if you're already read the email in hotmail via a browser - the httpmail thing downloads the 'new' message and plays the sound, but the email is listed as read.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I thought about that, but when I look in the junk folder I don't see any mail that is high lighted as new. Thanks for idea.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The problem is still happening despite updating to os 10.3.5. I even emptied my junk mail folder so I would be certain if there was any new mail there. Still, *Ding* "new mail arrived", switch over to mail, no new mail in any mail box. What the heck is goin on here? :confused:

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The problem still happens about 2-4 times a day.

To mkrishnan, the new mail sound is very distinguishable from the no mail sound and also, this isn't happening when I manually check for new mail but rather when it auto checks for mail (set to every minute).

To Gee, I don't check my mail via the web anymore so it can't be that.

Thanks for the help so far guys, we can figure this out, I know we can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.