Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Okay...nothing serious...but help me out real quick.

The Volume Up button seems off...like it doesn't register sometimes...but it feels like the key is off too. I notices if I push it down (firmly, but not smashing) it aligns it and makes it better. But it returns to not going down flush.

Also...I don't have any audio or videos since it's new...but it showing a little blue/purple for music and video. How can I find where this is to remove it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 7.14.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 7.14.43 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 101

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

The Volume Up button seems off...like it doesn't register sometimes...but it feels like the key is off too. I notices if I push it down (firmly, but not smashing) it aligns it and makes it better. But it returns to not going down flush.

Also...I don't have any audio or videos since it's new...but it showing a little blue/purple for music and video. How can I find where this is to remove it?

I would venture to guess those are Apple's sounds/ music in iMovie and video clips for practicing in Garageband. Maybe not, I don't know. As far as the keys- if you have the 11-inch, the top row of keys definitely seems more delicate. When I first ordered and recieved mine last year, I had to return it because the "rewind" key literally snapped off. Before it did- it acted like yours is. Perhaps you could stop by the Apple Store and ask for a replacement key to be put on for you. Haven't had that happen yet with this one (also an 11 inch), but some of them seem more "loose" than I'd like and even a bit "wiggly".

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I would venture to guess those are Apple's sounds/ music in iMovie and video clips for practicing in Garageband. Maybe not, I don't know. As far as the keys- if you have the 11-inch, the top row of keys definitely seems more delicate. When I first ordered and recieved mine last year, I had to return it because the "rewind" key literally snapped off. Before it did- it acted like yours is. Perhaps you could stop by the Apple Store and ask for a replacement key to be put on for you. Haven't had that happen yet with this one (also an 11 inch), but some of them seem more "loose" than I'd like and even a bit "wiggly".

It's like the spring underneath isn't going down evenly and when I firmly push it down, it makes a tiny snap and works normally again.

It seems to get messed up if I don't hit it in the center.

But I have AppleCare and if it did "eventually" break it would be an easy fix that's covered right?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But I have AppleCare and if it did "eventually" break it would be an easy fix that's covered right?
Yup. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can make a Genius Bar appointment and they can usually do key repairs while you wait. If it's bad, they'll order a whole new keyboard for your Mac. If no store is nearby, AppleCare can do the repair via shipping it back overnight (at no cost to you for shipping).

There's a way to do a Spotlight search for all video content, but google's failing me at the moment. :/

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Yup. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can make a Genius Bar appointment and they can usually do key repairs while you wait. If it's bad, they'll order a whole new keyboard for your Mac. If no store is nearby, AppleCare can do the repair via shipping it back overnight (at no cost to you for shipping).

There's a way to do a Spotlight search for all video content, but google's failing me at the moment. :/

The key seems to be good now.
I'll play it by ear...more of my "OCD" lol.

And yeah I'm assuming it's that...it's not taking up too much.

I love this thing!

joekix

macrumors 6502

how do you get your mac to breakdown what you have like in your pic? thanks in advance

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Probably a quicker way, but here's my scenic route:

Apple Icon > About This Mac > More Info... > Storage

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 8.38.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 8.38.11 PM.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 88

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Interesting, this feature fails to work for RAID arrays, it won't show the graph for a multi-disk RAID 0 striped array, it shows the disk icon with no graph to the side of it.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So I saw this for AppleCare:

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Included accessories such as the power adapter
Apple memory (RAM)
AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule2
MacBook Air SuperDrive (for MacBook Air and Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server only)
Apple display purchased with your Mac

Your Mac Computer cover the keyboard/trackpad etc. Right?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Your basic warranty (and AppleCare) would cover the broken key assuming it was a manufacturer defect and not abuse. Since it's a day old, I'm guessing they'll just give you a new Mac if they can't quickly fix the keyboard, and then fix and re-sell the other one.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Your basic warranty (and AppleCare) would cover the broken key assuming it was a manufacturer defect and not abuse. Since it's a day old, I'm guessing they'll just give you a new Mac if they can't quickly fix the keyboard, and then fix and re-sell the other one.

Yeah it works now...but it doesn't go down flush sometimes.

It's not the key...it's like the hinge underneath it...I feel taking it off and putting it back on would fix it.

If I took it in there now they wouldn't see a problem and would think I'm loko.

But if it breaks in a year (and all the other keys are in mint condition) they would be obligated to fix it as in there's no reason (or way) to abuse the Volume Up key, right?. Not to mention it's one of the smallest keys...so they'd realize it's very sensitive.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But if it breaks in a year (and all the other keys are in mint condition) they would be obligated to fix it as in there's no reason (or way) to abuse the Volume Up key, right?. Not to mention it's one of the smallest keys...so they'd realize it's very sensitive.
As long as it's obvious you didn't cause the problem by physical abuse (i.e. there's no drop marks on your case, etc), yeah, they'll fix keys anytime during your included one-year hardware warranty, or three years from your date of purchase if you bought AppleCare.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
As long as it's obvious you didn't cause the problem by physical abuse (i.e. there's no drop marks on your case, etc), yeah, they'll fix keys anytime during your included one-year hardware warranty, or three years from your date of purchase if you bought AppleCare.

Ok, cool thanks.

Yeah I've been to my store so many times I don't want to go back lol.

Yeah I just got a GForm case (in case the unexpected happens) so there shouldn't EVER be drop marks lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.