Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corruptfreedom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Hi guys,

I just purchased a TB MBP 15" and am having issues with it freezing. The weird thing is that the whole computer doesn't freeze but just parts of it. There will be times where I can't click on anything on the dock or desktop, but I can still use my browser and launch programs from the tool bar at the top just fine. I'm new to Macs and assuming this isn't normal. It seems restarting it will fix it but I don't really want to keep doing that, is there anyway to fix this?

Last edited:

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Yep, I have this bug as well and I think it's a software issue. Specifically, my Dock becomes unresponsive and requires me to Force Quit before I can click anything again. Occasionally after a reboot, my trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive as well (requires a manual power cycle).

The Dock issue happens a little more frequently than it should, but I've always had success after running the Force Quit.

corruptfreedom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Yep, I have this bug as well and I think it's a software issue. Specifically, my Dock becomes unresponsive and requires me to Force Quit before I can click anything again. Occasionally after a reboot, my trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive as well (requires a manual power cycle).

The Dock issue happens a little more frequently than it should, but I've always had success after running the Force Quit.

Hi Mxbzz,

How do you go about running the force quit?

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Hi Mxbzz,

How do you go about running the force quit?

I open Activity Monitor > CPU > Find 'Dock' > Press the "X" button on Activity Monitor > Force Quit

Edit: And of course the lovely Dock does its magic as I try to delete a file from my Downloads folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-22 14.44.48_0XVZZA.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-22 14.44.48_0XVZZA.png
    481.7 KB · Views: 74

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Have you tried the latest 10.12.3 Beta 4? It seems to solve most of the freezing and sleep issues. Since I started using it ALL my issues are gone, rock solid and stable.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Hi guys,

I just purchased a TB MBP 15" and am having issues with it freezing. The weird thing is that the whole computer doesn't freeze but just parts of it. There will be times where I can't click on anything on the dock or desktop, but I can still use my browser and launch programs from the tool bar at the top just fine. I'm new to Macs and assuming this isn't normal. It seems restarting it will fix it but I don't really want to keep doing that, is there anyway to fix this?

Just a wild guess....but in an earlier thread some users found when they went to accessibility properties and increased the size of the mouse cursor...the result was temporary mouse and screen locks. Not sure for your issues, but if you have changed your mouse cursor size...maybe reduce it to default and see if makes a difference. As I said...just a wild guess.

cubalibre

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Hi guys,

Had mine for a few days now, and it has happened once (yesterday) - suddenly couldn't click on anything, and after invoking the force quit menu with the keyboard shortcut no key presses registered and the touch bar froze and "escape" was replaced with an unresponsive "done". Banner ads were running in safari and stuff though, really got the impression everything worked except for trackpad/keyboard input.

Had to force a reboot, then everything was ok again. Can't remember if the problem occurred before or after I installed the 10.12.3 update unfortunately, was a bit tired.

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Have you tried the latest 10.12.3 Beta 4? It seems to solve most of the freezing and sleep issues. Since I started using it ALL my issues are gone, rock solid and stable.

I'm still having these issues after the 10.12.4 Beta. Trackpad freezes and Spotlight search is unresponsive.

cubalibre

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Hasn't happened any more for me after I upgraded to 10.12.3 and chose folder/list view for the download folder in the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.