Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splenda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2004
I own an ibook, and just got a new monitor, It is hooked up now, but both screens show the same thing. Is there any way to have the laptop screen act as an extension to my new monitor?? I also could not find a way to turn off the laptop screen while it is hooked up to the monitor on my desk. Is there something I am missing where all of these setting would be located, or is all this just not possible??
Thanks

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
splenda said:
I own an ibook, and just got a new monitor, It is hooked up now, but both screens show the same thing. Is there any way to have the laptop screen act as an extension to my new monitor?? I also could not find a way to turn off the laptop screen while it is hooked up to the monitor on my desk. Is there something I am missing where all of these setting would be located, or is all this just not possible??
Thanks

there is a hack for spanning with the iBook. Do a search here and you'll find references. Though some say it can void your warranty.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Oh also when you do this you'll probably want to make the external monitor the default or "main" monitor. So go into preferences > Displays and you'll see an representation of the apple menu on the small display, drag that over to the other display and that will be where the apple menu and dock appear.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
yes, you can use monitor spanning on the ibooks with a firmware hack, and yes this will void your warranty. you can, however, erase it from your firmware if you have to send it in for repairs and are worried.

best thing about the second monitor is that you can set the resolution on it much higher than the resolution on the ibook.

as far as turning off the ibook monitor goes, there should be a screen dimmer on F1, so just keep hitting that until the screen goes dark.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
7on said:
Or close your iBook screen and use a keyboard and external mouse.

this is only supported in the powerbooks. though i think maybe one of the firmware hacks may enable this in the ibooks, as well. the only problem is that the ibooks and powerbooks vent their heat in different ways, and the ibook can fry some of its parts if it is run for long with the lid closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.