Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
Just struck me (and it appears a few others around the web)...

With the new nano packaging how are Apple going to include an iTunes install disk? Believe it or not, not everyone that owns an iPod has internet access.

Do you think perhaps they've managed to put iTunes on the iPod itself which is capable of auto-installing and restoring the iPod before use?

Attachments

• nanopackage.jpg
    nanopackage.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 291

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
TMA said:
Just struck me (and it appears a few others around the web)...

With the new nano packaging how are Apple going to include an iTunes install disk? Believe it or not, not everyone that owns an iPod has internet access.

Do you think perhaps they've managed to put iTunes on the iPod itself which is capable of auto-installing and restoring the iPod before use?
Yeah, I'd like to think this is what happens. I don't know if it'll autorun, but it wouldn't be hard to find the installer in the root of the drive once it's mounted.

For us computer geeks, that's easy, but I could see many being confused by this.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
They could have a small partition on the iPod that will install the software when connected, or they could have a mini cd or they could give away free CDs with iTunes on it at the Apple store.

I think that the third is most likely.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
mikes63737 said:
They could have a small partition on the iPod that will install the software when connected, or they could have a mini cd or they could give away free CDs with iTunes on it at the Apple store.

I think that the third is most likely.

They wouldn't include a Mini CD. That would be asking for trouble. Only one model of recent Mac (the Mac Pro/Power Mac) can use Mini CDs. If you put a mini CD in a slot-load drive, you're likely to damage the drive, and the disk will almost certainly get stuck. I think the 3rd idea is not a bad thought. I overheard a girl asking about an iPod nano at the store the other day. She was making sure that it came with a CD with iTunes on it because she couldn't download it for some reason. I suppose it's no big deal for Apple to keep a copy of the installer on the computers at the Apple Store and burn a copy of it for customers that request it. Other stores sell iPods too though, and I doubt they're going to do that.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I'd say if you don't have internet, and you're buying an iPod, you might want to reconsider your spending priorities. Access is such an integral part of life today, I'd say, tough S#&*...but that's the grumpy SOB in me.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
MovieCutter said:
I'd say if you don't have internet, and you're buying an iPod, you might want to reconsider your spending priorities. Access is such an integral part of life today, I'd say, tough S#&*...but that's the grumpy SOB in me.

Dial up is too slow to be worth while.
Broadband isn't available to 100% of the population.
Broadband can be an expense some people are not willing to pay.
Students can often find themselves moving house/accommodation and go for periods of time without any internet.

I sell iPods (along with macs) for a living, and it's surprising the amount of people that don't have immediate internet access.

If it comes to it we'll have to burn the installer to disc for any customer that needs it. But its going to be a pain asking everyone single person who buys an iPod if they have net access. :(

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Its definitely an interesting point.

As we was watching the Keynote, my girlfriend said "they must have thrown the CD out or something", when they talked about 53% reduction in packaging. I laughed at her and said they cant not have the package with no disc, but here we are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.