Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Breakup Office

It's time MS breaks up office into individual apps.

Outlook 2013 or 14 for Mac should be a priority to fix it and get it level
with Outlook 2013 for PC.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I love MS Office 2011, I wish they would bump the update to this year.

I absolutely hate it. Word crashes all the time (my machine is clean and state of the art). I'm currently working on a complicated document and the thing crashes about once an hour.

I also have iWork, but it just doesn't have the chapter controls that I need. Sadly there still is no good alternative in business for Word. I would jump in a second.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I'd guess that the features in Office used 98% of the time by it's users are available and easier to use in Apple's products, at far less cost. Problem is that people are just too lazy to spend a few hours learning how to use them.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Why, pray tell, would someone be editing an Office doc on an iPhone? iPad I see, iPhone not so much.

OK, so four years later after the iPad was introduced.

Either way, folks may not want to edit documents on an iPhone or iPad, but they certainly want to view them. Yes, there are lots of other apps that have filled in the holes in the meantime (Dropbox, Goodreader, the built in iOS apps have some native support for Office documents, etc.) but Microsoft could have jumped in quicker with apps that compete with iWork. They could at least have been making a few bucks in the past 4/7 years.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
OK, so four years later after the iPad was introduced.

My point is that it's illogical to jump all over Microsoft regarding not porting Office to iOS when Apple took its own sweet time with porting iWork to iOS.

Especially so when you consider all of the cruft in Office that needs to be ported... :D

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How about making iWork compatible with Office stuff so when we save it we can open with Office programs at school, Numbers seriously needs a updated it does not come close to Excel.

Also, would be nice to have more accounting programs available for Macs or else I would have dumped my Dell notebook long time ago.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Also, would be nice to have more accounting programs available for Macs or else I would have dumped my Dell notebook long time ago.

The lack of accounting software is almost criminal at this point.

If I were in charge of Apple, I'd be seriously incenting some companies to develop software for the Mac.

* They have the spare change these days

* Some of the missing elements (like accounting) are keeping people from switching completely

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I work for a copywriting and copyediting company with end clients such as Mercedes, Sony, Hitachi, Yahoo, Google, Volvo, Chrysler, Sharp, Shell, etc.

For years, everything was done in Word.

Now we only use Scrivener and Pages.

Not a sign of Word or Office anywhere to be seen.

We're all waiting for the iOS version of Scrivener.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Office is becoming irrelevant. The iPad has flourished despite not having MS Office and that's an encouraging sign. The days of Microsoft software being a "must have" for success are over.

Today people just care about having some sort of import/export capability and are comfortable with non Microsoft solutions.

Yes the iPad has managed to integrate into businesses, but not for its Office-Suite capabilities.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I hope Outlook is actually a usable enterprise application this time.

We actually have to instal parallels, WinXP and Outlook for our secretarial staff to get outlook to work properly because Entourage then Outlook on the Mac was just a steaming pile of horse manure.

Thank god we have a MS site licence so they dont get any extra revenue from us having to do this :D

EGlasheen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Surface shows some talented touch UI work. If the extra time means they're rethinking the experience to make it truly touch-centric and user-friendly (in a way Office never has been, including on Surface), it could be worth the wait. Plus they probably want the new re-thinking (if any) to show up on Surface first.

(I'm imagining something like what Adobe did with Photoshop. They reorganized and rethought the same features--well, a lot of them--and ended up with something better than a "port.")

After the newness wears off, Surface, as with Windows 8 in general is a POS. Or should I say Pain in the Ass. The back and forth between Metro and desktop is absurd...The form factor is not as good as the iPad either. As someone who makes a living with Microsoft products, I am not impressed. Waiting to port Office to iOS negates at least $4 billion in profit. Smart move Balmer... idiot...

Ed

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My guess is they're delaying the release for iOS in hopes that they'll be able to salvage Windows RT.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
2014? Wow, that's only seven years later after the iPhone was introduced...

And MS is making customers wait for the Windows RT version of Office too! They are taking their time in releasing Office for their own platform... What are they thinking?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
oh come on 2014? i want microsoft onenote for Mac :mad:

You and me both, however there is a company right now who has a onenote reader and creation tool for the iPad that works great and they have just released the reader only version (promises of a fully functional app) coming soon. The reader is just that reads the onenote document. Hopefully the editor comes out sooner than later.

I have had not issues with the iPad app including editing, creating, saving etc.

Outline is the name of the app.

http://outline.ws/

I am not affiliated with them what so ever...

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Since it's still a year away, I'm gonna buy Office 2011. I noticed my resume I did with LibreOffice had totally screwed up tabs when opened with real Office. It was a bit embarrassing. I noticed the very same thing with a lot of documents.

As much as I'd like to just use free software and save everything in open formats like ODS, it's just not going to be accepted in business/school world. Only solution would be to force everyone to use OpenDocument standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.