Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oo5yolo10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
I am looking into buying tiger, I have panther right now? Is it worth it, and is there a new OS coming anytime soon?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Tiger is great, and you don't realize you need it until you have it. I bought it for dashboard, and use spotlight more than dashboard now! It all depends on how you will use it. I do reccomend upgrading though.

The next OS (10.5 'Leopard') probably won't be out for another year and definitely not before august.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
10.5 is set to be released end of 2006 start of 2007, according to last years WWDC. I strongly expect they'll preview it at this years WWDC (in August).

AppleMatt

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
tiger is definitely worth the upgrade, not only does it keep you up to date with the latest technologies and software, but also provides many beinfits and refinements, and general speed increases over your current panther OS (depending on your machine).

go for it, it's definitely worth it.

S

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'd stick with Panther, if only because the International prefpane actually works.

I hardly ever use Dashboard and Spotlight. I try to keep my files organised in the first place, so I rarely need to Spotlight for them. I only ever use Dashboard for the translator, and I haven't even been using that too much recently.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Unless you have a peice of software that the new version only works in Tiger, I'd wait for Leopard, but that's just me.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I would probably upgrade for Spotlight alone... it's that great. But I don't know how often you would use Tiger's new features. How interested are you in Spotlight and Dashboard? I ask this because those are Tiger's two main features.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I wouldn't upgrade.

I'd downgrade actually. System 7 offers many benefits such as graphics drivers, window minimize buttons, stable memory management system, multi-colored text input, and the ability to somehow run.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
I say buy it, but if you can get an educational discount or your university/work offers it, then get it from there, becasue Leopard is coming within a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.