New OS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oo5yolo10, Mar 11, 2006.

1. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

I am looking into buying tiger, I have panther right now? Is it worth it, and is there a new OS coming anytime soon?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Tiger is great, and you don't realize you need it until you have it. I bought it for dashboard, and use spotlight more than dashboard now! It all depends on how you will use it. I do reccomend upgrading though.

The next OS (10.5 'Leopard') probably won't be out for another year and definitely not before august.

3. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

Its worth it. Having been a long time Jaguar, then Panther, and now Tiger. It was fully worth the money to upgrade.

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

10.5 is set to be released end of 2006 start of 2007, according to last years WWDC. I strongly expect they'll preview it at this years WWDC (in August).

AppleMatt

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

tiger is definitely worth the upgrade, not only does it keep you up to date with the latest technologies and software, but also provides many beinfits and refinements, and general speed increases over your current panther OS (depending on your machine).

go for it, it's definitely worth it.

S

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd stick with Panther, if only because the International prefpane actually works.

I hardly ever use Dashboard and Spotlight. I try to keep my files organised in the first place, so I rarely need to Spotlight for them. I only ever use Dashboard for the translator, and I haven't even been using that too much recently.

7. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Unless you have a peice of software that the new version only works in Tiger, I'd wait for Leopard, but that's just me.

8. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I would probably upgrade for Spotlight alone... it's that great. But I don't know how often you would use Tiger's new features. How interested are you in Spotlight and Dashboard? I ask this because those are Tiger's two main features.

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I wouldn't upgrade.

I'd downgrade actually. System 7 offers many benefits such as graphics drivers, window minimize buttons, stable memory management system, multi-colored text input, and the ability to somehow run.

10. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I say buy it, but if you can get an educational discount or your university/work offers it, then get it from there, becasue Leopard is coming within a year.