Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
To all devs contemplating using this, do so at your own peril. Your customers will sue and/or file charges against you for computer fraud/hacking.

You forgot the sarcasm tag, or at least I hope you did for your own sake.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
My initial reaction was to pick up the pitchfork too, but after reading the article, I honestly think this is quite inventive. If I'm choosing when to run the application, I'm choosing when to pay the developer. The payment to the developer is directly proportional to the quality of the application. Want more bit coins? Develop better apps.

To all devs contemplating using this, do so at your own peril. Your customers will sue and/or file charges against you for computer fraud/hacking.

I'm not sure you understand how software works. There is crappy code running in almost every application you use. This code is wasting resources such as battery power every day. What's the difference between accidentally wasting resources and intentionally using more resources? It isn't fraud or hacking. The application does exactly what the developer tells it to do. Are the accidental wasted resources also considered fraud?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
What would you guys say if this was made very obvious?

Like say they have two free game modes:

1. Ad version

2. Ad free bitcoin mining version.

And it tells you specifically that one will annoy you with ads while the next will drain your battery.

Would it be that bad then?

Exactly how much drain are we talking about? Streaming drains the power faster than anything and people are still streaming like crazy.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I still have absolutely no idea what a bitcoin really is. I hear about them all the time, but articles like this always just gloss over the actual explanation. Yet any minor mention of skewmorphism* is ALWAYS followed by its definition, as if the 5,000 other articles that have mentioned it in the past year didn't also include an explanation. So if anyone would like to give me a semi-intelligent explanation of bitcoin, I'd love to hear it.

* the use of visual indicators that simulate the real world use of a digital function, commonly used to make a user interface more familiar. (I couldn't break the chain of needless explanation)

Bitcoin is the currency of the Internet: a distributed, worldwide, decentralized digital money. Unlike traditional currencies such as dollars, bitcoins are issued and managed without any central authority whatsoever: there is no government, company, or bank in charge of Bitcoin. As such, it is more resistant to wild inflation and corrupt banks. With Bitcoin, you can be your own bank.

You receive bitcoins like you would to an email. Just type in the address, the amount, and send. Your "Public key" is your address and your "Private key" is your password. You send money(bitcoins) to different public keys.

Bitcoins are mined using a mathematical algorithm via powerful computer processing. Once it's mined, like gold, you can distribute it. There is a limit to how many Bitcoins can be mined. We are about half way there.
If you are new to Bitcoin, check out We Use Coins and Bitcoin.org. You can also explore the Bitcoin Wiki

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin

Last edited:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Someone is going to be earning big on this if it gets put in some viral game and there are millions of iPhones bit coin mining at once...shiiiiit

That difficultly level will increase tenfold!

How many iphones does it take to equal the processing power of a modern desktop with a beefy GPU? Well, we can try to guess. An iphone has a 5 watt charger. A decent desktop has a 500 watt power supply. So, probably about 100 iphones = 1 desktop in processing power.

Also, it would only be working on the iphone when the game is running. A desktop is instead running it all the time. So, assuming the iphone user plays 30 min a day....that's 4800 iphones = 1 desktop.

Honestly, I don't see the point of this.

Last edited:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
As long as an app developer says their app does this, and it only does it when the app is in the foreground, this could be an interesting way to monetize free apps besides relying just on ads.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I hope Apple disallows this practice. I am not only a user, but I am an iOS developer. I'd be dammed if I ever put code in an app that runs in the background on the user's device with the sole purpose of making me money. That's in really poor taste and should be a practice that's discouraged.

I also for one don't want to see a rise in crappy apps littering the app store for the sole purchase of background mining. Are we going to see another spike in flashlight and fart apps?

As a user it would piss me off to know that not only did I pay the developer for the app, but then they're also going to try and profit off me using it? And just because the app was free doesn't mean it should be done either. There's just something about all this that rubs me the wrong way.

Developers: How about spending your time putting out high quality apps that users want to spend their money on instead of depending on background mining. Or maybe you could get a day job and earn your money like the rest of us? Just a thought.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
For reference my 120 gigahash mining rig took a week to make 1btc at current difficulty rates. This rig consists of 32 ASICs each pumping out ~3-4 gigahashes per second. Mining rigs built with multiple high end desktop GPUs get at best 500 megahashes per second. I would estimate that each phone 5s can only at best reach 20 megahashes/second. It will take ages for developers to reach 0.4btc and make back the $80 for the privilege of draining end users batteries. Each phone added to the network will be a rounding error against the current 3 petahashes of the bitcoin mining network.

Just FYI, my 650m with 1GB GDDR5 only did 20-30 MH/s. I estimate this to be measured in KH/s

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
That person wants to "pay" directly.

I believe that market research is increasingly showing that this isn't the case. A lot of the creativity in the App Store these days is not in the apps themselves, it's in coming up with a convoluted way to make a profit. I say this as a developer making a quality application (according to my customers) that sells for a flat rate.

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Everyone is saying that they would delete a company's app, but no company that uses this is going to advertise the fact that they are using it. You'll just download the app, it will run - given that the code likely works on a low priority background thread, you'll never notice it, and they will get what they want. I doubt you'll recognize that your battery is draining any faster than it already does, and continue to use your device as is.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
If Apple lets this into apps in the App Store, I will seriously consider going back to a dumb phone with no apps or data capabilities. Unless developers are required to notify users (which gives me the option to not download those apps), I consider this to be wrong. As I understand Bitcoins currently, most people get them from their own devices. That's fine by me. Do what you want with your own stuff, but don't go using my devices to make money for yourself without my permission.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
This is a malware, period. No other way to put it.

If this is implemented, not only Apple will yank the app, but probably use the KILL SWITCH that they have implemented since iPhone OS 2.0 to forcefully uninstall the app on the devices that has the app installed. (which, if you have jailbreak, don't bother trying to shut it off, Apple can change the KILL SWITCH codes and update it OTA without you knowing since iOS 6)

Note: If the app is removed via KILL SWITCH, no refunds, period.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
My initial reaction was to pick up the pitchfork too, but after reading the article, I honestly think this is quite inventive. If I'm choosing when to run the application, I'm choosing when to pay the developer. The payment to the developer is directly proportional to the quality of the application. Want more bit coins? Develop better apps.

I'm not sure you understand how software works. There is crappy code running in almost every application you use. This code is wasting resources such as battery power every day. What's the difference between accidentally wasting resources and intentionally using more resources? It isn't fraud or hacking. The application does exactly what the developer tells it to do. Are the accidental wasted resources also considered fraud?

Agreed. If this is done properly, then this would encourage devs to keep developing good free apps.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Even if this is implemented, it would be so miniscule that developers would barely make anything. Bitcoin mining is aimed towards ATI/AMD based systems, not mobile devices. Also, I'd be ticked if developers implement this. I could see bugs like it working in the background when you're not even using the app.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
For reference my 120 gigahash mining rig took a week to make 1btc at current difficulty rates. This rig consists of 32 ASICs each pumping out ~3-4 gigahashes per second. Mining rigs built with multiple high end desktop GPUs get at best 500 megahashes per second. I would estimate that each phone 5s can only at best reach 20 megahashes/second. It will take ages for developers to reach 0.4btc and make back the $80 for the privilege of draining end users batteries. Each phone added to the network will be a rounding error against the current 3 petahashes of the bitcoin mining network.

Lol, exactly. So let me get this straight - is this just another example of sub-par journalism or the devs really did not think this thing through?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.