Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Gyngell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Just received my new PowerBook 15/1.67. I've tried several different USB 2 bus powered hard drives without any success. The disks won't spin-up, and don't mount. System Profiler sees the USB interface of the drive but not the drive itself. The same disks worked fine on an iBook! Other USB devices, keyboard & mouse also work.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or is my PB broken (on arrival).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Did you try both ports?

The specs say 500mA for both -- but people have found that in reality only one of the ports may provide full power.

photoman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
Try differnet cables... I thought my firewire bus was shot when my ipod refused to spin up/mount turns out the cable just gave out... still gave power though just no data.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Please, break down and either do one or both of the following.

1) Purchase a Powered (by the wall) USB Hub. Attach Hub to PB, HD to Hub. The HD should now power up.

2) Purchase a power cable for the USB HD. Every USB powered HD should have the ability to use a power adapter. If not, try option 2.

3) There is no number 3.

TEG

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
USB doesn't give enough bus power for most hard disks. Get an A/C adaptor (should have come with it) or try a powered hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.