Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Just some notes re: the insides of the new Powermac 1.42s. as they differ a bit from the published photos - at least with regard to the heatsink.

HEATSINK -
DIFFERENT THAN WHAT HAS BEEN SHOWN ON APPLE'S SITE AND G4 NOISE. Both of those sites show a large steel-finned heatsink, with the fins facing upwards.

WHAT'S REALLY THERE: A large arrangement of shinny COPPER PLATES stacked horizontally instead of vertically. It looks more like a transformer than a heatsink.

POWERSUPPLY:
The new powersupply is indeed 360 watts and made by Samsung in China. I have not tinkered with it enough to identify type of fans.

CASE FAN:
THIS THING IS HUGE. six or seven inches high, it sits in front of the large copper plate arrangement and blows out towards the back of the case. Notably, I'm not sure I've ever heard it come on except once very briefly.

VIDEO NOTE:
Std. ATI Radeon card is fan-less contributing to a little quieter environment.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
wish you had a digital camera so you could show us, you have a lot of heat to get rid of with those g4's cranked up to 1.42 and 2 at that. I bet that machine is a gamers dream. Maybe this is what took apple a while to release them. having to do another heat scheme to deal with that darn mototorola.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
wish you had a digital camera so you could show us, you have a lot of heat to get rid of with those g4's cranked up to 1.42 and 2 at that. I bet that machine is a gamers dream. Maybe this is what took apple a while to release them. having to do another heat scheme to deal with that darn mototorola.

It is interesting too that if you put drives on the slower ATA cable, you block the air flow (or appear to) of the case fan from the front, whereas putting a second drive on the ATA/100 cable would seem to block the airflow in the rear. It may make for an overall cooler running machine to just use external add'l drives. Since it's a desktop anyway, it's not like portability is impacted. Has anyone seen any FW 800 drives available yet?

Dig. Camera - hopefully later this week. A baby on the way is justifying a Nikon CP 5000.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
other than that are you enjoying it law guy. i have seen some fw 800 drives. the are prereleased though, macaddict had one and said they would be out soon. i would tell you who made it but i left the mag at work.

iJon

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by iJon
other than that are you enjoying it law guy.

iJon

iJon - Absolutely loving it. I don't think my theory of HD disturbing airflow is a real problem either - just my speculation. The machine itself is wonderful. Fairly quiet (more so after I put it on a small rug instead of right on the hardwood floor), very fast (programs open instantanously; even web surfing is so much faster on this machine than my old Athlon Compaq with the same cable connection), and then there is the whole world of the new OS X, which is all of the pleasantness of the Mac I remember and oh so much better. I'm still learning from David Pouge's book, "The Missing Manual", but as free time makes itself available, I'm up here in the home office tinkering.

I recall that you use Final Cut Express, iJon. What's the learning curve like and what are the immediate advantages over what one can do in iMovie? Thanks -
LG

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by MrMacman
As someone else said pics would be nice so we can compare to some of the other models.

Happy Uber-Sweet comp :D

Anyone with a FW800 1.42 AND a digital camera? I can only provide a narrative report without taking my Kodak celluloid to a photolab and having them put it on a CD for me. :( While my Nikon N80 is wonderful, this is its limitation.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by law guy
Anyone with a FW800 1.42 AND a digital camera? I can only provide a narrative report without taking my Kodak celluloid to a photolab and having them put it on a CD for me. :( While my Nikon N80 is wonderful, this is its limitation.
Well, I don't have my DP1.42 yet, however I do have Macs and digital cameras.

What's your question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.