Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
The hell?

Whoever did that previous Photoshop Edit needs to stay out of photoshop...or leave the Dust & Scratches filter alone. The only thing that filter is good for is making stuff look painted.

I resized the image, removed some of the reflected color (the guy was probably wearing a red T-Shirt), brought out some contrast in the speaker and smoothed some edges up, also removed some of the JPEG artifacts and made the latch on the case not so glaring. Tried to get the handles to look better but only succeded in making them look like grey plastic. I guess there is no cure for some things.

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Re: The hell?

Originally posted by Spart
Whoever did that previous Photoshop Edit needs to stay out of photoshop...or leave the Dust & Scratches filter alone. The only thing that filter is good for is making stuff look painted.

I resized the image, removed some of the reflected color (the guy was probably wearing a red T-Shirt), brought out some contrast in the speaker and smoothed some edges up, also removed some of the JPEG artifacts and made the latch on the case not so glaring. Tried to get the handles to look better but only succeded in making them look like grey plastic. I guess there is no cure for some things.

Oh yeah, thet's a huge improvement. :rolleyes:

:p

If you look closely, you can see the reflection of another tower in the brushed metal portion. So whoever took this photo had more than one of these.

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Yea...

Compare the photos side by side.

The last thing you want to do is try and take the plastic wrapping off. You will end up with smeared plastic and chopped edges if you don't have a pic of a Quicksilver at the exact same angle to compare it with/paste over it. I'm still working on getting the left edge to look better. I might also make the coloring more Quicksilver-esque. This is an old prototype after all, back then everything wasn't snow or metal.

2Step Garage

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Chicago IL
bad angles

One thing i dont understand about these rumored prototype pics is that every photo i see is at a weird angle, horrible lighting or just a bad shot. If you have enough time to take a shot of the new case.. for crying out loud take more than one pic... hehe... Im soo frustrated with all these spy photographers these days... lol, but i guess for it to be pulled off as real you have to make your pic look like you took it in 2 seconds with a hidden camera in your shirt pocket. Ehhh... whateva.. lol... i just think its funny.

If i ever see a rumored new enclosure.... i would be cammera trigger happy... side, front, back, left..... work it!!! yea!

smashedapart

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2002
Reality Check

Well, I hope whoever took these photos realizes one thing: Apple is going to have their ass in a sling. Why? Because all Apple prototype systems come with a "DO NOT TAMPER"-style warning label to keep the case from being opened. If this person has one of these systems, they're going to be in hot water when they ship it back to Apple. 'nuff said.

-- smashedapart

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: The hell?

Originally posted by Spart
For one thing I didn't even use dust & scratches. For another thing , the only point of that pic was to show what the case would like in QS color if the guy didn't trigger the flash 2 feet away from the case. :rolleyes:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
it looks ok but perhaps that metal area on the front is only there in the prototype and the real thing will have something that looks better. it looks like it was hacked together. the vents looked cool until i found out they were vents. i thought they were front-mounted FireWire and USB ports. that would be a nice way to do it and keep the design clean. anyway, i'm not that exited until i see some specs.

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Re: Re: The hell?

Originally posted by asurace

For one thing I didn't even use dust & scratches. For another thing , the only point of that pic was to show what the case would like in QS color if the guy didn't trigger the flash 2 feet away from the case. :rolleyes:

That was supposed to be quicksilver?

Anyway...here's more. Brought out some detail and played with the RGB curve until I got it looking better.

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

Kronic-X

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Spymac's director AtariST has been contacted by Apple to remove the new enclosure pictures from the website. This could add a little credibility to the pictures.

MidnightRambler

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2002
Perhaps, given the carnage that occured to the Mac community this past week, APPLEP58 is just trying to keep some of the disgruntled in the fold. ;)

Oh well, ...I was sort'a hopeing for a metallic enclosure.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by MidnightRambler
Perhaps, given the carnage that occured to the Mac community this past week, APPLEP58 is just trying to keep some of the disgruntled in the fold. ;)

Heh, probably. :D

APPLEP58 probably knows a lot more than he purports to.

Hm...pictures edited out by request of Apple legal. Very interesting indeed..:D

It does seem kind of odd that the AGP/PCI cards would be on the top. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm used to seeing them at the bottom of the tower.

And what the heck is that questionable port between the Firewire and Ethernet? :)

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Apple & machines that look like crap...

Originally posted by asurace
This is funny, everyone is freaking out and saying this is a prototype because it's ugly. Everyone said the same thing when the prototype Quicksilver cases leaked a while back. Of course things will be changed to improve the appearance, Apple isn't going to release something that looks like crap.

Obviously, you don't remember the flower power and blue dalmation iMacs...

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Apple & machines that look like crap...

Originally posted by oldMac

Or the key lime iBooks. :rolleyes:

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Ah well, nothing much we can do about APPLEP58.

At least he posted something extremely interesting and worthwhile.

Especially with the cease and desist order from Apple legal, it looks like what he had to say holds some water.

Pssst, the pictures are still available in another thread. But you'll have to find it on your own. :)

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
Go groovebreaker buster whatever

Groovebuster is quite amusing... he makes these very passionate and rash arguments with out much reasoning behind them... it's sort of like George Bush? are you related?

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I just hope that APPLE is reading some of the threads on this forum VERY carefully! And can see what is happening and that the eyes of the faithful are opening up.

Wish I knew what the APPLE trolls were thinking about us. :confused:

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Apple & machines that look like crap...

Originally posted by oldMac

Hmm, that's true. The plus side to those is that they didn't last long :D

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by Grokgod
Groovebuster~ well , you have gone and made the guy run away, but I think he was looking for a REASON!

Cause you did put those faces on the end of your anger. But I have to admit that even I was wondering what you were trying to say.

Was IT, I HATE you , no wait , I like you , no wait Just kidding!

Wait a minute thats the way I feel towards APPLE right now! LOL

HE should have hung out and explained a bit more on the RAM for sure! or specs.

Seems we are pretty much alike!!! :D

I didn't know what I wanted to express with my "hate posting" myself! :rolleyes:

I am just stressed by the situation with Apple and yes, I also think that the dude didn't know a lot. But before he would have admitted it I unfortunately gave him a reason to steal away...

One thing is for sure... if all the things we were talking about turn out to be true (like holding back the technology an stuff), I will definetely think over my "relationship" to Apple, basing my decision only on economical facts in the future. Something that I didn't do always straight in the past.

I don't know... I feel a little bit like as if my wife cheats on me, after I paid her education all the years, if you know what I mean... :confused:

groovebuster

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: Go groovebreaker buster whatever

Originally posted by Paolo
Groovebuster is quite amusing... he makes these very passionate and rash arguments with out much reasoning behind them... it's sort of like George Bush? are you related?

I thought we are on a rumor site... Reasoning is one of the least things you can find in the threads here.

And thank God I am not related to George Bush! :D I don't even live in the US! (Again thank God! ;)) But sometimes it is good to practice the techniques of the enemy to be more successful to defeat them!!!

Come one guys... GET OVER IT FINALLY!!! The dude wouldn't have told more anyway, so what's the point? Do your really think he would have gone in a private chat with you and telling you more and every little detail (if he would know more)???

No? That's what I thought! I really don't get why you all are over-reacting... He was pissed of by ONE little message by me. Looks still like he was looking for a reason to get away!

Oh, and so far I still believe the case is WHITE and not silver as he tried to make us believe! Unless it is a prototype on the picture with a different color... the machine looks WHITE! Remember all the rumors about white speakers and stuff? How would a Quicksilver case with a white speaker look like? I know.... I would barf too!!! Also remember the white mouse and key symbol in the system prefs?

We'll see in a few weeks... :D

If the new PowerMac won't be white I'll be the first one who'll admit to be wrong, but til then stop telling me that a grey case looks like that just because of the flash-light... that is impossible! If you have a picture to prove me wrong, go ahead, I don't have a problem to admit it.

So now stop whining that the guy is gone... I was a little bit rude to him (admitted) but he turned out to be a p*ssy. Probably he's crying on his mom's lap now because the people at macrumors (especially that groovebuster) were sooooooooo mean to him and didn't appreciate what he was doing for them!

groovebuster

P.S.: I said it before, if I would take everything personal that people told me without any reason already here at macrumors I would have committed suicide already or would be in a nuts house. Maybe I just adapted a little bit to the normal way conversations are held here very often. I still don't like people who tell me that they know something but won't tell and then laugh in my face... that's kindergarten!

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
G4 Specs

1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz...HOLY SMOKING CR@CK!!!**PASS OUT**

This spec was in the other discussion...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: G4 Specs

Originally posted by kaneda
1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz...HOLY SMOKING CR@CK!!!**PASS OUT**

This spec was in the other discussion...

the specs are made up

arn

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
So can anyone send me these photos???

Man every time I miss them. It happens every time I load macrumors.com for 3 days and don't see any changes on the front page, and then the 4th day I don't check until half a day later and look what has happened!

The 2 drive bays would be very very usefull, and that photo earlier definitavely proves that there is DDR-RAM. (does Toast actually support copying from one Cd drive to another?)

Forgive me asking what are the differences inbetween DDR-RAM and RD-RAM?

Doesn't it seem odd that the heatsink would get so large if we are just doubling the speed? l'd only have imagined happen if we trippeled, or got to 2Ghz overnight.

I agree that we should have pro specs. Apple needs to develop a system which allows 2 graphic cards work simultaniously just like dual processors. That would kick ass... (Ultimate gaming system).

About the case, I thought the Quicksilver photo's were really ugly (when I finally got to see them). They were sort of tinted yellow, but it turned out that I would eventually order one! So if you think it's ugly, it will end up a little nicer, or it will be like the flat panel iMac design (it slowly grows, and you eventually turn from "Yuck" to "wow... that is cool").

What date is the media event where these 'monsters' are supposed to be annonced?

What I would really like to see Apple is a buyout of nVidia & real (so we would force the gaming market into the Apple arena, and so we would really pose a threat against m$ with real).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.