Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Just received refurbed iPod :)

However, when plugged into the 24" C2D iMac for the 1st time, I have the following:

- installed the iPod + iTunes CD s/w
- already have iTunes, v. 7.0.2, w/ many good tunes awaiting to meet iPod
- a screen popped up, "About iPod Updater"
- another little screen appeared, showing the name, s/w version, serial number, capacity, used, free, and,,, format [Windows :eek:]
- within this last mentioned screen, there are two options:
(a) 'update' - 'only Macintosh formatted iPods can be updated', selection unavailable :(
(b) 'restore' - 'click restore to restore :rolleyes: your iPod to its factory settings'

The iPod itself is awaiting quite patiently, w/ the red slash no symbol flashing above the dire warning 'do NOT disconnect'.

So, do I want this to be windows or Mac formatted? Any difference? From what I've read, it should be happier being Mac formatted - right?

But - how in hades can I make this lovely black beauty be on the side of light and right, become Macintosh formatted? :confused:

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Well, guess that just by selecting the 'restore' button, the iPod was able to detect from after that that it was attached to an Apple - all seems to be good; the songs are d/l, the Summary screen says its Macintosh formatted... :)

And!!! iStat Pro shows the iPod too... :cool:

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
That whole Windows formated and Macintosh formated applies to the formating of the disk. Windows cannot read HFS+ which is the default disk formating for the Mac, so instead it uses FAT32.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Yea, thanks - I know the difference between the different formats, which is then why I was concerned that I was not able to select the Macintosh "update" version, just the Windows "reformat" version. But, as said in the 2nd post, the iPod was 'somehow' formatted to the correct [ie: Apple] version, even tho' I could only select the Windows route. In any case, all is good... ;)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I like to format my iPod(s) in Windows/FAT32 just so it can act as a drive on pretty much any computer with a USB port. That's just me, though.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Maybe you could format it as FAT32 in Disk Utility? I'm not exactly sure how that would work out with the iPod OS and all, but that's the only way I could think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.