Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
new rMB owners; please post the production date of your new retina Macbook.
I would like to know when they started producing these new rMB;s.

you are able to check this via this site (by entering the serial number of your Mac):

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

thanks!

Wow, so for those who think they just slapped these together last minute:

Production year: 2015
Production week: 9 (March)
Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com) China)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Wow, so for those who think they just slapped these together last minute:

Production year: 2015
Production week: 9 (March)
Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com) China)

Well the other 2 people who posted dates say April so it does sound like they started slapping them together pretty late.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Well the other 2 people who posted dates say April so it does sound like they started slapping them together pretty late.

Well I would assume they're still making them now (lol)... but my production date definitely disproves this delay is due to them waiting until the last minute to begin production. Week 9 would have been the first week of march.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
So probally started production late February...

That'd be my guess. Cause they probably started making them in Mid to late feb, shipped a bunch to cupertino to use as demo units\tim cook's unit for the release event, and then just kept cranking them out.

I bet there's a part that's delaying the process though, be it the screen or the trackpad or something from a vendor that's causing some delays.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Well I would assume they're still making them now (lol)... but my production date definitely disproves this delay is due to them waiting until the last minute to begin production. Week 9 would have been the first week of march.

I feel like that's still a bit late to start making a product you announced will ship a month later but that's probably partly why there are supply constraints. I don't really know anything about supply chains and production so that's just my opinion.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I feel like that's still a bit late to start making a product you announced will ship a month later but that's probably partly why there are supply constraints. I don't really know anything about supply chains and production so that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I don't know how it works either. But like anything, it's supply and demand, and you pay for a product you start making, so you don't want to make too many, but you want to make enough. You'd think Apple has a whole team of MBAs who handle this type of forecasting, but the problem is in come companies, one voice can often overrule 100 skilled decision makers (in this case likely Angela). In the day when Steve was running the show, it was ok for him to hold the solo-Veto stamp, but that was because the business was his baby, and he was intimately involved with every aspect. Angela nor Tim have the same philosophy, so to compare them, or give them the same veto power cripples the company.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Mind giving us a mini review of your new rMB? Wouldn't mind some pictures either :p

Well, I only got it at 7pm last night and didn't do much with it last night because I wound up erasing the disk and doing and IR reinstall of OS X! Grabbed it on the way out the door this morning, which definitely confirmed that this one is really like a feather compared to my 13" rMBP.

The display is awesome. Keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but that was expected and it will grow on me.

I installed the Intel Power Gadget and have been watching temps, volts and gHz. The Core M is very nimble in ordinary use. It spikes up and back down very quickly. Temps seem mostly 35-49 degrees C at idle, occasionally spiking to 60 and then recovering surprisingly quickly. The CPU must be very well heat-sinked.

Pic solely to address the "pics or it didn't happen" issue ;)

DSC02058_zpsvjbraim3.jpg

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Well, I only got it at 7pm last night and didn't do much with it last night because I wound up erasing the disk and doing and IR reinstall of OS X! Grabbed it on the way out the door this morning, which definitely confirmed that this one is really like a feather compared to my 13" rMBP.

The display is awesome. Keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but that was expected and it will grow on me.

I installed the Intel Power Gadget and have been watching temps, volts and gHz. The Core M is very nimble in ordinary use. It spikes up and back down very quickly. Temps seem mostly 35-49 degrees C at idle, occasionally spiking to 60 and then recovering surprisingly quickly. The CPU must be very well heat-sinked.

Pic solely to address the "pics or it didn't happen" issue ;)

I think plenty of us got one at BBY to be past the pics or it didn't happen thing. I'm curious about the Intel Power Gadget. Does it work better than MenuMeters?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Well, I only got it at 7pm last night and didn't do much with it last night because I wound up erasing the disk and doing and IR reinstall of OS X!
Out of curiosity, was there a reason for erasing and reinstalling?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Out of curiosity, was there a reason for erasing and reinstalling?

Yeah, knew that was coming. In the middle of the initial setup, I got what threatened to be a perpetual spinning beachball. I restarted but it had set up two user accounts. Rather than prune the extra account, I figured this was the perfect time to ensure that I had an absolutely virgin OS X installation (since nothing else was installed). It was probably user error, though I can't really say how. No harm done other than a little time wasted.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, knew that was coming. In the middle of the initial setup, I got what threatened to be a perpetual spinning beachball. I restarted but it had set up two user accounts. Rather than prune the extra account, I figured this was the perfect time to ensure that I had an absolutely virgin OS X installation (since nothing else was installed). It was probably user error, though I can't really say how. No harm done other than a little time wasted.

Apparently several other people had the beachball issue when setting up too but they just waited it out and it worked afterwards. I guess I'll have to be patient setting mine up if this turns out to be an issue with all rMBs

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1867162/

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I'm curious why - they come from Apple in the same 100% clean install-state. Apple isn't like many PC makers, loading the system down with lots of extra software...

Just a habit from the old days, MacOSX had a customise option upon installation in the early days. You could disable certain languages and printer drivers to get a smaller OS. :) And it just gives me a better feeling that I'm 100% sure the OS is clean, and it just takes a few extra minutes so it's not a big effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.