Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Pretty sure that is inaccurate

It comes with a cable, but not an extension.

upload_2016-11-10_15-32-13.png

Panic over?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
At least try to read the article before commenting...

I think they did read the article. The article you cited has this big ol' picture, which seems to indicate that it doesn't come with a cable. Unless you get a different impression from it?

I literally just unboxed a new rMBP 30 minutes ago (non-Emoji bar) and it includes one of those USB-C cables in. So... what on Earth is the article talking about?

apple-87w-usb-c-power-adapter.jpeg

EDIT: Plus your article said:

"But I discovered that Apple did have one more hidden extra cost in store for 2016 MacBook Pro buyers: the $69 (13-inch model) or $79 (15-inch model) power adapter the company sells as an accessory doesn’t include the USB-C cable you need to actually, you know, use it …

What you get in the box is:

• the power adapter
  • a mains plug
  • that’s all
There is no figure-8 extension cable, exactly as with the MacBook Pro itself (it’s available separately for $19), which is perhaps forgivable – not everyone will need one. But there’s also no USB-C cable, rendering the charger completely useless unless you lay out another $19."

Either it's really poorly written and I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, or they're just plain wrong.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Isn't that better than having to pay $99 for both every-time, if you only need the one?
What if some one wants two chargers for home and office use?
I did make a post about people useless complaining, but what you are doing here, is aimlessly trying to defend something that is wrong.
[doublepost=1478792588][/doublepost]
I think they did read the article. The article you cited has this big ol' picture, which seems to indicate that it doesn't come with a cable. Unless you get a different impression from it?

I literally just unboxed a new rMBP 30 minutes ago (non-Emoji bar) and it includes one of those USB-C cables in. So... what on Earth is the article talking about?

FFS
Did you even read the title of the article, or do you just look at pictures and make up the rest ??
Apple selling a $79 MacBook Pro power adapter without a USB-C cable is a step too far

It clearly states the 79$ Power Adapter

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What if some one wants two chargers for home and office use?
I did make a post about people useless complaining, but what you are doing here, is aimlessly trying to defend something that is wrong.
[doublepost=1478792588][/doublepost]
FFS
Did you even read the title of the article, or do you just look at pictures and make up the rest ??
Apple selling a $79 MacBook Pro power adapter without a USB-C cable is a step too far

It clearly states the 79$ Power Adapter

Ohhhh right, that makes a lot more sense then. I'm with you now. :D

Yeah, that's a bit stingy.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands

EDIT: Plus your article said:

"But I discovered that Apple did have one more hidden extra cost in store for 2016 MacBook Pro buyers: the $69 (13-inch model) or $79 (15-inch model) power adapter the company sells as an accessory doesn’t include the USB-C cable you need to actually, you know, use it …

What you get in the box is:

• the power adapter
  • a mains plug
  • that’s all
There is no figure-8 extension cable, exactly as with the MacBook Pro itself (it’s available separately for $19), which is perhaps forgivable – not everyone will need one. But there’s also no USB-C cable, rendering the charger completely useless unless you lay out another $19."

Either it's really poorly written and I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, or they're just plain wrong.
I do not want to make any personal comments, but dude, the article clearly talks about the accessory you can buy, meaning if you just bought the charger ...

Reactions: myscrnnm

sn00p

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
They're saying if you buy the charger standalone it doesn't come with the cable, but if you've bought a replacement charger then the chances are that you already have the cable.

My MBP PSU's have always failed at the magjack end, forcing me to buy a whole new PSU.

The new charger is in two parts, the cable and the charger itself, so if it's the cable that fails it's much cheaper to just buy the new cable.

This way is much better. Would the person that wrote the article be happier if they added on 20 or 30 dollars onto the PSU price and included the cable?

I don't see a problem here.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
They're saying if you buy the charger standalone it doesn't come with the cable, but if you've bought a replacement charger then the chances are that you already have the cable.

My MBP PSU's have always failed at the magjack end, forcing me to buy a whole new PSU.

The new charger is in two parts, the cable and the charger itself, so if it's the cable that fails it's much cheaper to just buy the new cable.

This way is much better. Would the person that wrote the article be happier if they added on 20 or 30 dollars onto the PSU price and included the cable?

I don't see a problem here.
What if your charger isnt replacement, what if you want to keep 2 separate charger. The move to make the brick and cable detachable is great, so if your cable breaks (the usual case ) you dont need a new brick and just buy a cable to replace it. But charging 79$ for the charger and then not including a cable is the most dick move you can do. Its not like the charger is cheap so yah it dosnt make sense to add in the cable, its already 79$.

And why add 20-30$ when if you bought the cable separately it would cost 19$.
Having both charger and cable for 79$ is perfectly reasonable demand

Reactions: c0ppo and Sully

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
One word: portability.
But I thought we were complaining about getting several adapters and leaving them at home/work, so we don't need to carry the adapter?

Make up your minds.
If you bring the adapter with you, one is sufficient.
If you need multiple, get a 3rd party.

Yes apple is expensive and I would never buy accessories from them. You do realize that an iphone charger + tiny cable cost 40$ right? If you want a longer cable that's 50$ already.

This isn't new.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Since Apple took away the collapsible tabs on the power adapter, it decided there's no point to include the USB-C charging cable. That makes sense to me and makes a lot of dollars for Apple.

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015
But I thought we were complaining about getting several adapters and leaving them at home/work, so we don't need to carry the adapter?

Doesn't that mean you are spending just as much as the official adapter? Defeating the purpose of looking for a better valued one? I thought the whole purpose of staying off proprietary accessories is to cut down budget?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I'm just glad that I only have to pay $19 to get a USB C cable whenever I accidentally leave my charger out and my cat eats it. I never seemed to learn the $100 lesson with the magsafe charger. 3 times in 3 years.

sn00p

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
What if your charger isnt replacement, what if you want to keep 2 separate charger. The move to make the brick and cable detachable is great, so if your cable breaks (the usual case ) you dont need a new brick and just buy a cable to replace it. But charging 79$ for the charger and then not including a cable is the most dick move you can do. Its not like the charger is cheap so yah it dosnt make sense to add in the cable, its already 79$.

And why add 20-30$ when if you bought the cable separately it would cost 19$.
Having both charger and cable for 79$ is perfectly reasonable demand

Take the cable with you?

I was rounding and isn't $19 the current discounted price? If so it will go back up at the end of the year - hence the range I gave.

Having gone through 3 MBP chargers where they all failed at the magjack end I welcome the cable being separate to the actual PSU.

I'd wager that this "problem" affects a fraction of a percent of MBP owners, most of us will just be happy that they finally don't have to buy the complete assembly to replace a broken cable.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Doesn't that mean you are spending just as much as the official adapter? Defeating the purpose of looking for a better valued one? I thought the whole purpose of staying off proprietary accessories is to cut down budget?
Apple's purpose for anything is never to cut down budget. Customers can at least choose now, and that's all that matters in the end.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Take the cable with you?

I was rounding and isn't $19 the current discounted price? If so it will go back up at the end of the year - hence the range I gave.

Having gone through 3 MBP chargers where they all failed at the magjack end I welcome the cable being separate to the actual PSU.

I'd wager that this "problem" affects a fraction of a percent of MBP owners, most of us will just be happy that they finally don't have to buy the complete assembly to replace a broken cable.

You can still have the cable and brick being separate and include them both in the box. There is no law saying if you want both cable and brick they have to be fused together...
"take the cable with you"
The same I can say to your problem
"Dont break the chargers in the first place"
There is always a work around, but that wont change the fact apples move of not including the cable is just a cheap tactic

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I bought four extra 87 USB-c power supplies. Correct that there is no cable. Doesn't bother me. I bought a range of cables with different lengths. Will work out better in the end.

Reactions: jerryk

sn00p

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
You can still have the cable and brick being separate and include them both in the box. There is no law saying if you want both cable and brick they have to be fused together...
"take the cable with you"
The same I can say to your problem
"Dont break the chargers in the first place"
There is always a work around, but that wont change the fact apples move of not including the cable is just a cheap tactic

I get the point it's at the same price without the cable as the previous psu with the fused cable, but this one has a major advantage over the previous PSU.

You can't have it both ways, they either ship it without for x bucks or you ship it with for x+y bucks. You seem to want x+y for x bucks and Apple aren't in the business of selling you something at the price you want, never have been, never will be.

What I can tell you is that they'll be selling a lot less of the PSU's for this version of the macbook than they ever have for the previous versions because it's as two parts and most sales for previous chargers will have been for failed cables, maybe this is a factor in the pricing of the new charger.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
IIRC, my rMB power adapter was also just the adapter. I had to buy the USB-C cable separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.