Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Contextual Search

I just noticed today that if I highlight any part of a post, it brings up a magnifying glass. When I click the magnifying glass, it searches the forums for threads/posts related to the highlighted phrase. This seems pretty useful.

I'm wondering if this is new, or if it was just added. I don't remember noticing it in the past, and a quick search didn't show anything related to it.

Screenshots:

EDIT: Just noticed arn posted a thread about this just minutes ago. Seems its related to a new forum search engine.
Thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1278345/
More info: https://forums.macrumors.com/faq.php?faq=searchlight_search

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 3.05.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 3.05.00 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 3.05.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 3.05.09 PM.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 113

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
I think it is new. I noticed it today for the first time as well. I like it. It should prevent a lot of the duplicate posts because it is easier to search for topics. It has made it very hard to actually highlight something if I'm trying to quote it though. It makes the page lag.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Seems to work well though I've obviously only been playing with it for a few minutes.

Is the "Similar Threads" thing at the bottom of the page in the attachment involved in any way? I just noticed this today.

Attachments

• mrsimilarthread.PNG
    mrsimilarthread.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 73

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ya, we've enabled similar search. it might take a little longer for the db to fill out.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think it is new. I noticed it today for the first time as well. I like it. It should prevent a lot of the duplicate posts because it is easier to search for topics. It has made it very hard to actually highlight something if I'm trying to quote it though. It makes the page lag.

Ya, I wasn't entirely sure about it. You can turn it off in User CP -> Edit Options -> Contextual Search

arn

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011

More how the Contextual Search works. Scroll down near to the bottom of the page.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Not sure you want this kind of "feedback" but I read the whole Axivo Searchlight FAQ page that you provided the link to and found a spelling error (in red below):

Why my recent posts don't show up rightaway in search results?Each new post is scheduled to be stored into a search index, at regular periods of time. Therefor, if you created a new post, it will take approximately 10 minutes before your post content will be recorded and displayed into search results.
For example, while viewing the Advanced Search or Search Results pages, you will notice at the top of the page a message like:
"The search index was updated 8 minutes ago." That means the next index update will be executed in approximately 2 minutes.

Note: The forum administration might change at what interval of time the index updates can occur.

In other news and perhaps more on-topic, the Contextual Search is cool and will hopefully prove useful for me (and others, of course) when I'm looking for related threads/posts, however, it seems to be a bit buggy where it shows many duplicates of the same words in the search window (see attachment below). Here's an excerpt from that attachment:

...available updates. ClickClick "App StoreStore." ClickClick "UpdatesUpdates" if it is not already open. SelectSelect "Update All … entering anything. Screen displaysdisplays "All Apps Are Up to Date...

Attachments

• mrcontextualsearch.PNG
    mrcontextualsearch.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 72

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In other news and perhaps more on-topic, the Contextual Search is cool and will hopefully prove useful for me (and others, of course) when I'm looking for related threads/posts, however, it seems to be a bit buggy where it shows many duplicates of the same words in the search window (see attachment below). Here's an excerpt from that attachment:

this should have been fixed.

arn

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i was so confused at first with the contextual search. thank you for allowing us to disable it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Note that you can double-click a word to highlight it and reveal the contextual search icon, or drag to select a phrase and reveal the contextual search icon.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Did the advanced search get a makeover as well? When I search for all threads with zero replies since my last visit there are still a few at the tail end that have multiple replies. This is an improvement over the previous system, which would give me over 800 threads total, most of the tail end of which all had replies.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Does the Advanced Search for threads with zero replies still work, as I get a "Sorry - no matches" result now, or is that due to using EDGE connection speeds on an Android telephone?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks, TECK. That works for me.

Here are the relevant parts to this type of search, to find the reply-less threads in whichever forum(s) you are interested in.

at-most-zero-replies.gif

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think something's broken in the new forum search. I frequently search for threads with keywords in the titles, rather than in posts. This doesn't work now. Here's a search I just performed, searching within thread titles only:
ScreenCap 2.PNG
And here's the search I did immediately afterwards, only changing the "Search Titles Only" to "Search Entire Posts". As you can see, there are thread titles that met the criteria of the first search, but they were not identified by that search.
ScreenCap 3.PNG

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
If you try to search for posts containing a user name to find replies to a user, its not hitting them all. Does it not yet everything indexed?

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
I think something's broken in the new forum search. I frequently search for threads with keywords in the titles, rather than in posts. This doesn't work now. Here's a search I just performed, searching within thread titles only:
And here's the search I did immediately afterwards, only changing the "Search Titles Only" to "Search Entire Posts". As you can see, there are thread titles that met the criteria of the first search, but they were not identified by that search.
Works for me, I get results galore for battery in title.

If you try to search for posts containing a user name to find replies to a user, its not hitting them all. Does it not yet everything indexed?
What do you mean search for posts containing a user name to find replies?
If you search for keyword TECK, it will look for that into threads title and posts content. It will not check if the user TECK made any new posts.
The easiest way to see threads started by a user or his latest 500 posts is to click on user profile and select the tab Statistics or simply click on post username and select the "Find more posts" option. For example, here are all my posts.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Works for me, I get results galore for battery in title.
Please post a screen shot of your search results. Before you do, make sure you're using the same settings I used, which are circled in my post.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I can replicate the results.

If you set the time for

"Yesterday and Newer" and "Title Only", you get no results.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.